Player retention not kept even after your gauntlet launch

Ouch my brain hurts trying to see how you can comfortable navigate through all the different gear for each character. More power to you though man for toughing it out. They need an inventory system like LE has where I can have 100s of pages to store gear in and a actual stash not a 50 slot per page stash like we have currently.

1 Like

Im good with that, I have 300 hours played in it, Ive had early access for years.

Its just more entertaining that Diablo 4 atm.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a lot here I agree with, but a pet peeve working in industry (both tech and gaming across decades): please do not conflate title sales (7MM) with concurrent active users (Steam and ActivePlayer_dot_io) and claim concurrent active = retained.

Yes, thereā€™s a relationship (youā€™re clearly never going to have more concurrent active in a given measured minute or hour than total titles sold/downloaded), but there are a lot of factors that influence concurrence such that your 0.03% calculation in no way represents retained players, which would be measured with DAU, WAU and MAU (plus w/e custom measures Blizzard uses based on decades of data on Diablo player orbits).

Cash grab for what? Nobody is forcing you to buy any of that. I do not and do just fine playing.

1 Like

You may have mistaken what I said. I was just pointing out at the start (release of game) there were 7million players (did not say concurrent) however you cannot accurately measure how many people are actually actively playing the game. By actively I mean they log on a minimum of 3+ times a week for a minimum of 8 hours playtime. A player is not an Active player if they login for 5 minutes each month, or 1 time a month for a few hours. That is not an active player respectfully, however blizzard will use these type of people to say the game isnt dead or that they have millions of people playing said game.

Why do you think they wont put the current player count on the launcher like they said they were going to do with their games? (I donā€™t wanna do the research to find where they said this so believe me or not) They wont do it because it would show how much a failure 1 IP is compared to others. If we had the raw data on player count from day 1 till now you would notice how dead the game is compared to when released.

I even mention that any game will lose a majority of the players because most are ADHD and never stay in 1 game forever. Just look at streamers that constantly change the games they are streaming and playing to keep their viewers happy or keep up with the FOTM game so they continue to make money.

1 Like

So this is in no way defending Blizzard, just looking at things objectively, but there a few problems with your post.

First letā€™s start with the obvious, Steam along with the websites youā€™ve mentioned are horrible metrics for actual players. Most websites that claim D4 numbers have a huge disclaimer located at the bottom saying just how inaccurate they are and most of the statistics are from console numbers. Now yes, numbers have gone down since launch, no oneā€™s denying that, but only Blizzard has accurate numbers.

Letā€™s go down your list of problems though.

Conjecture and the Everyone Phallacy. You donā€™t like it, a handful of your friends donā€™t like it, this does not equate to everyone. While I also donā€™t personally like it, I wouldnā€™t assume everyone dislikes it. However I would be rather curious to see the numbers of people who have bought a battle pass. Iā€™m sure it would tell a different story.

For you and me absolutely, but not for everyone. The worst part is people exacerbate the problem by spending money which just further iterates to Blizzard they can get away with these prices, or go even higher.

Factually not true if weā€™re going by the literal definition of the term ā€˜end game contentā€™ but thatā€™s just semantics at this point. I agree with you here, thereā€™s nothing to do once youā€™ve hit 100 that you havenā€™t done a hundred times over already.

I mean just because you donā€™t like it doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t there. Again we have to look at things objectively to give feedback, not just go off of emotions. The itemization is bad, and very few would say itā€™s good, weā€™ll just have to wait and see what changes are coming in S4.

Never really saw this as an issue myself. More of an opinion than a factual flaw or credit toward the game though. Barbs are definitely OP right now, doesnā€™t mean theyā€™ll still reign supreme next season though.

True, but again not necessarily a flaw. Just because it works in one game does not necessarily mean it will work in another.

Also true, but again refer to my explanation above.

Going to need a quote on this one, I donā€™t remember them saying this personally nor ever really implying it. Iā€™d be happy to be proven wrong though.

Agreed, no arguments on this one.

They never said they would stay there though, and thematically speaking the game is more akin to D2 at the moment than D3. One of the biggest similarities is that D4 focuses on the leveling process much like D2 did, where as D3 focused heavily on endgame. Thereā€™s far more similarities but Iā€™ve discussed this at length in other posts already.

Factually true, optional items though I might add that currently serve no other purpose other than to be a trophy piece in your inventory. Oh they might also be cool to have on an alternate character too. Thereā€™s currently nothing in the game you canā€™t complete without these items though, hence optional. They will always be that way.

Now the grind is boring absolutely, but thatā€™s up to each individual player to decide if farming for a lottery ticket is worth it or not. I have no issues with the lottery tickets being in the game, but I also wonā€™t attempt to farm them and complain I didnā€™t get a winning ticket either.

Opinion based, but your opinion isnā€™t wrong, just like people who enjoy the game now arenā€™t wrong for their opinions either. I do appreciate you going into more detail of why itā€™s not fun or engaging for you. Most people just throw hate speech at Blizzard and donā€™t explain anything.

I actually agree with this, they should be account bound, no question.

Helltide is not the best example for this, your Uber Boss argument makes more sense, but you donā€™t have to group for Helltides to reap the benefits of following around a Barb or Sorc picking up cinders in their wake. While I donā€™t necessarily agree with you that itā€™s a bad thing group play has obvious advantages over solo play, I also wouldnā€™t have an issue if they reworked how to summon the Uber bosses in a group setting either. Wouldnā€™t phase me either way if they do or donā€™t change how it works currently.

Overall good post, again your opinions arenā€™t wrong, just want to clarify that, and all Iā€™m doing is offering a different perspective along with objectivity in opposition to some of your topics. While I might not agree with everything youā€™ve mentioned I will give you a +1 for not just blatantly attacking Blizzard and asking for the whole team to be fired.

4 Likes

noun

A [product] designed primarily or solely with the intent of generating [profits] or [money]

https://www.yourdictionary.com/cash-grab

They did not make Diablo 4 for the fans or for people to enjoy they made it for the sole purpose to generate profits & money for their shareholders. If they listened to the fanbase we would have endgame, runes, sets, runewords, skill trees with good skills and not basic dull skills that you follow a line and have barely any choice of what you play, so on so forth. Instead they have concentrated all their efforts on cash grab gimmicks to suck more money out of the fans of the IP we call Diablo.

Cash shop = cash grab
Battle pass = cash grab
Charging for expansions when other companies like EHG the makers of LE will provide expansions for free forever = cash grab

Sure you arenā€™t forced to buy any of that but guess what happens when nobody buys stuff from their beloved cash shop & battle passā€™s or expansions? They close the game down due to lack of profits. Also the time they have spent making sure that these cash grab gimmicks work flawlessly could have been spent to provide us the things that the game needs like end game activities, sets, runes, runewords, etc.

Heck i donā€™t remember the exact day it happened but they literally shut D4 down for hours to fix the cash shop but when game breaking bugs are in the game like S2 ball light sorc causing lag issues with everyone they left it in till the next season. Do you see where their focus is? It sure isnā€™t about the game its about the $$$ bills yall.

Yes LE has a cash shop and a box price which is half the price of D4 but you can clearly see they are trying to make a good game (which they have made an amazing game) and their cash shop isnā€™t overpriced to the max like D4ā€™s shop. 5$ on LE gets you a tun of stuff from their shop and for 5$ in D4 shop you might MAYBE get a weapon skin or maybe a portal. Everything else is there to get the most cash from kids using their mom and dads cc.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of typing for a game you donā€™t like. Looks like they have kept your attention.

2 Likes

They just released the stalker trilogy on next gen Series X and PS5 today console players salute yall and we are outā€¦

All my top 10 posts are being taken down now. Pretty dejected about it. Seems I have quite the following now flagging everything and CMs are siding with them. Guess I need to take a break from forums and game.

1 Like

Hmmm looks like they are having more fun on these forums than playing D4, nothing wrong with that. I lurk and post here as well, itā€™s a lot more entertaining!

2 Likes

I agree with you entirely Iggy, as usual, except here, thereā€™s a serious issue with end-game in D4. Once you hit 100, yes itā€™s the same grind, however, thereā€™s no point. The end-game is now make a new character. Thatā€™s it.

Thereā€™s really no need to grind for Uber Uniques either as theyā€™re not mandatory to complete any content.

They need to redesign the end-game, which to me means a couple of things, for example, increase the difficulty of WT4 substantially, like you have to be level 100 to survive in the open world hard.

Create WT4 open world content that only players level 100 with good gear can do. World events that make people have to work together and use specific class skills to overcome.

Thereā€™s just not really anything past level 80 at this time.

1 Like

Having at least AoZ was a nice way to test and push your build even if the overall design was trash. It was better than what we have now which is nossing.

To-ma-to to Ta-ma-to, when I say everyone it is more or less a belief and not a fact yes. I mean we could run a poll and see what the majority thinks of their overpriced battle pass. However, you can pretty much make statistics say anything you want right? Objectively though 9 out of 10 people you ask about a battle pass in a game you have to buy to play will be negative and not for it. Sure in a F2P game I can see this being overwhelmingly accepted.

100% agree with this which is why people should just not buy the items from the cash shop. You and me both know though that there is no way to stop all these young kids playing a 17+ video game from using their parents cc. They will just buy anything and everything they deem ā€œcoolā€ in a game they are playing. Just look at Fortnite they make a killing off of them. Adults donā€™t blow 100$'s a month on cosmetics cause we have lives, jobs, responsibilities, etc.

I mean if there was a ā€œrealā€ end game it wouldnā€™t be on my list. End game just doesnā€™t revolve around a time sink of doing the same repetitive tasks you have already been doing 1000x over starting at level 60 (or w/e level you are when you get to T4). Its hard to say what a ā€œrealā€ end game would be for D4 because its just so watered down and basic I just donā€™t think they can ever provide this. Its just simply reach 100 and you are done which is blah.

I broke it down in another thread I donā€™t feel like getting the exact numbers but if you objectively look at it from a numbers perspective we went from D1 with like 350 different items, to d2 with 1250 or so to D3 with roughly like 1700 or so then D4 with less than 500. Its a major step down for itemization.

Most games have these to prevent over scaling stats like we currently have for barbs and overpower able to reach 9000% increase in damage off of 1 stat. Its just absurd and thatā€™s why soft caps & hard caps were invented for games many years ago. Yea barbs might not reign supreme next season hopefully they finally show necro some love but Iā€™m highly skeptical.

Maybe it wont work maybe it will be amazing like it was for D2, only time will tell. :heart:

Just shows how much they put into the itemization of the game was my point. I mean they were there from start of d2, d3, and diablo immortal. Yet they couldnā€™t provide them from the start with D4? Seems like just an excuse for them to try and gate it behind an expansion for the sole purpose of another cash grab.

Ill try to dig around and try to find it for you. I will throw and edit if I can find it but it was in one of their streams about the game before it was released.

D4 gives you level 100 in roughly 12 hours of grinding if you put in the work. Ontop of that the events they put in just enhance this even further with consumables and party buffs to exp. Heck in S3 I reached level 100 by day 3, streamers did it the first day. That is nothing like Diablo 2 because it would take you a week of 24/7 grinding to hit 99 in D2.

Yes very optional and is more a trophy than a very useful item in D4 this is true. However, why have them gated behind this content that me and you and probably many others find absolutely boring? Just let them actually drop in the game and make the chances through uber bossā€™s be higher so if you donā€™t want to grind the uber ROTA you can just go grind NMD or anything in the world?

I agree it is 100% opinion based but it is a problem as you agreed :smile:

Yea I really apreciate your feedback and responses man. Its a much needed change from the trolls that constantly just flame you or talk smack for no reason other than to flag you to get you banned from forums. There have been a few in here already I wont mention their names but you know who they are :grin: I just stopped responding to them and flag them every chance I get.

2 Likes

The largest portion of players donā€™t even finish the story mode they leave pretty quickly after a couple of weeks

The rest is us the dedicated few

1 Like

d4ded

1 Like

Its a known problem that these trolls get together to flag 1 individual to get them a ban in game and on forums because its an automated system. Rarely will you find an actual mod banning & deleting posts. Its all off their flag system which should be removed and just pay someone 12$ an hour (minimum wage here in VA) to actually monitor the forums they are a multi trillion dollar company doubtful a 12$ hour position at 40hours a week is gonna break them.

I am sorry that you are having this happen to you though it is very sad.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny because lvl 70 but the bosses in there arenā€™t as easy as a lvl 70 NMD boss would be. As a HOTA barb I have yet to 1 shot one of the bosses. In a NMD I one shot most things. Heck, even Duriel or those bosses I can one shot.

Also why I say it has more similarities to D2 then it does D3, thereā€™s more reasons then this mind you, this is just one of them, I agree with you completely.

Yup, which is also why I wonā€™t waste time farming them. If one happens to drop while Iā€™m doing Duriel runs cool, but Iā€™m not wasting my time farming him hundreds of times for a chance at a winning lottery ticket. Iā€™ll farm him about 20-30 times for gear upgrades, and if friends keep going Iā€™ll gladly join in, but beyond that, I got other games to be playing lol.

I donā€™t have an issue with WT4 open world difficulty at the moment, but I wouldnā€™t mind the second part where maybe a sort of WT4 - Hard Mode opens up thatā€™s only accessible to level 100 players, or close to it, based on when the player thinks they are ready to enter it. @Urza had a fun idea for an even more difficult helltide, I think it could fit into this harder version of WT4 you speak of.

Agreed, and thatā€™s a big problem.

3 Likes

I would have to agree to this I havnt logged into D4 since I reach level 100 in 3 days and got my shako on my 15th Duriel kill that I solo farmed without a group. Also my clan everyone that hit level 100 just stopped playing because at that point there is nothing left to do.