PC shuts down randomly

Hold on my friend.
That doesn’t make any sense.
All comments and solutions so far point to the opposite as a solution.
If you can do some more tests.

My computer couldn’t handle running the game on graphics like that.

Tried the settings at ultra per your suggestion, and behold! Now I’m stuck on the loading screen.

This dude is trolling don’t feed him. This is happening to a lot of people, it has been happening for a long time in fact. It’s not a hardware issue, it’s specifically this game. It seems like if I delete the config files it sorts out the issue for a little while. I’m curious if the people having the issue are running their OS from an nvme drive.

1 Like

This happened to me too. I reloaded my Operating System on a fresh M.2 Drive. Upgraded for Windows 10 to Windows 11. Played for about an hour and half and it happened again. It only does this in Diablo 4. I can play Diablo 3 with no issues at all. I thought I was going crazy!!!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X: 64GB Ram : Nvidia RTX 3060ti graphics card: Bandwidth 1gig up and down.

Who is trolling here? I see only you, a guy who says a computer game is issuing a shutdown command to your PC.

So PC shutting down happens “to a lot of people”, does it make Blizzard any more responsible for this? Right now their involvement in shutting down your broken PC is fat juicy zero.

Even if hundred more people will more come forward with their Gigabyte 3080Ti and other failing crappy hardware, it does not make it any more real.

I’ve seen people with AMD cards, Intel Cards, and various other Nvidia cards all reporting the same thing. The amount of simping you’re doing for Blizzard is incredible.

Blizzard already issued one patch in the last week to fix this exact problem with people running off of nvme’s. So you’re going to tell me that the software wasn’t causing a problem? You must be an expert programmer then.

Software doesn’t send a shutdown command? Are you serious? This is why I say you’re trolling, because it absolutely can. In fact you can find a ton of software that can do anything from adjusting fan speeds, to changing core clocks, ratios, voltage, power limits, and more on the fly.

Now if you use your little noggin, maybe you can follow along. I have actually begun logging all the temperatures, voltages, wattages, etc, going on on my system from it starting to it crashing in specifically Diablo 4 only. I’ve done stress tests meant to test each part of the hardware individually and they all pass for hours. Yet this game will shutdown the entire system with no warning, and then it will continue to crash before it even gets to the character select screen. And that happens UNTIL i delete local preferences file, and then it will be fine again for some period of time until I have to do it again. So I have repeatable results where Diablo 4 and Diablo 4 only causes crashes, and then deleting a config file in diablo 4 fixes the issue for awhile. THAT IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE BUD.

The chances that you know what you are talking about are a big fat juicy 0 to use your terms.

8 Likes

I gave up for now, somehow I can play new world in high quality, but it is a no for diablo 4 on low.

1 Like

Had these shutdown issues in the beta and canceled my preorder.

I have a 3090fe
32gb @3200
SSD
threadripper 2950x - yeah it’s old but not that bad
Main monitor is ultra wide 1440

Until this issue is addressed and resolved I won’t be buying this game, it’s not worth potentially destroying my PC.

this just straight up proves you have no idea what you’re talking about chief, you have no idea what’s going on, 1000’s of people with hardware that all of a sudden started to fail with only one specific game? you’re joking right

2 Likes

My computer started randomly shutting down after playing for a few days. I thought it was a PSU issue. My pc would even shut down after just booting. After it did this a few times D4 was randomly uninstalled and it has not shut down since. I have a New PC and It’s hard to believe it would be a hardware problem. I am reinstalling D4 will see what happens

Man, Davil, thank you for writing all that up, even if it was just to feed the troll. I took the easy way out and just ignored Piorunz.

2 Likes

I put the game in Windowed Mode and in my last playthrough, it only shut down once.
It’s already a step forward (irony aside).

Please Blizzard, give us some feedback.

Going on Day 2 for this happening to me. Played every beta and from Early Release until then and 0 crashes. Something really broke the game for me. Seems to be a memory leak. AMD card.

1 Like

Guy u respond to have absolutely no idea what hes talking about or just trolling for entertainment.

2 Likes

Was happening to my wife’s computer on 6800xt during beta and release. Tried a different OS drive and it’s stable as long as I also remember to spin the fans to 90% or higher.

My 3090 and OS have been fine during the beta and the first week. Come Saturday and it’s a mess. The shut down gets triggered by HDR and on Character Select screen. Windowed mode and HDR off helps get passed it by eventually crashes after an hour or so. My GPU and VRAM have waterblocks. Temps aren’t the issue

Take a look at his messaging activity. Guys a loser on forms all day.
Need to flag/report his posts.

First off the game/drivers/windows crashing is VERY different than the computer black screen reboot/shutdown. The crashing is caused by D4, no question there. The computer reboots/shutdowns, that the post you were quoting was referencing, are not. Those are hardware issues.

Now back to your logic, your thought is that Blizzard coded computer shutdown, fan speed, core/memory clock, and voltage control into D4? 99.9999% chance that isn’t the case and since Power and heat are what kills hardware it’s not D4 specifically causing the shutdowns. It might be the catalyst, but it’s underlying hardware defects/issues. If we are going by chances of you knowing what you’re talking about it’s also a big fat zero. On top of Blizzard not coding that stuff into the game, there are also firmware/bios safeguards in place that software cannot bypass, will not allow the cards to go over a certain voltage, and will throttle the cards based on heat shutting down if heat gets too high. The voltage control on software is basically a suggestion that says “Hey if you’re temp isn’t too high you can use more power”, that doesn’t mean it will. Unless you physically mod your graphics card or flash a custom bios on it your chances of causing a card meltdown are slim to none unless the card already has a defect.

I had the same issue with WoW. I could play every other game fine, I could run stress tests on cpu, gpu, memory all day without an error. In certain zones/dungeons(like mists) my computer would blackscreen freeze for a second and then reboot. I would restart and log back in and hit another reboot after a few seconds, and then on the 3rd try I could be logged in for hours without issue. Deleting a certain cache folder seemed to stop the restarts for awhile but eventually they would come back. I RMAed everything in my computer and still crashed, HAD to be the game right? Reinstalled windows, reinstalled Wow, nothing else on the computer no add-ons still crashed. RMAed everything again and guess what? It was the CPU(5900x). Check your event viewer for errors like WHEA 18 and 19.

There are also KNOWN issues with higher end newer graphics cards, especially the 3080/90, having transient power spikes. You’re not going to see these with ANY monitoring software because they last <100 MICROseconds, the polling period on every software is FAR longer than that so you won’t see it if your computer didn’t shutdown. The card suddenly requests 2x max power and the PSU/Motherboard can’t handle it so it shuts down. All the hardware can technically be “good” but the combination isn’t. If you’re running a high end 30 or 40 series card, not sure about amd but assume it’s a possibility, with <850w and more likely <1000w PSU, it can absolutely be a power issue causing reboots/shutdowns. The 10 and 20 series cards can do this as well, but you would need to be running a much smaller PSU and their spikes aren’t as high.

There is also issues with Gigabyte putting out faulty graphics cards. Some have bad caps, some are physically cracking at the locking tab and that bricks the card. AMD 5xxx CPU early steppings have issues, I also wouldn’t rule that out with the 7xxx either. Could also just be a dying PSU.

I will say it again, if your game/drivers/windows is crashing/freezing then it’s D4. If your computer is blackscreen rebooting/shutting down then it’s almost certainly a hardware issue. D4 being incredibly unoptimized is just stressing hardware in untypical ways and thus previously undetected hardware issues/defects are coming to light.

This has nothing to do with shilling for Blizzard, they need to fix their buggy/laggy game. That doesn’t solve the hardware problems though and waiting for Blizzard to fix the game to then find out that wasn’t the issue just potentially takes people out of their warranty period. I know it’s not what people want to hear because hardware is such a hassle to diagnose/RMA, but blackscreen restart/shutdowns are a hardware issue.

2 Likes

Good points, the transient power spikes, reminds me of the GN vid, guess I need to upgrade my PSU, I do have an old 1200w PSU but not sure if safe to use that instead. Current PSU is 850w.

I’m having this problem as well. I have a 3090 and I’ve monitored the temps, it gets to a steady 70 degrees and stays there, but I still end up with my computer shutting down randomly when playing. Sometimes it’s when I teleport back to town, sometimes it’s during a cut scene, sometimes I’ll just be out running around the world. I have the latest Nvidia drivers. I’ve tried capping FPS to 120 and even 60 fps, neither helped.

A few days ago, I played for hours and it only shut down my computer once. Today, it’s been happening every ten to twenty minutes. Other games are fine. I have a Corsair 850W power supply, 7700x processor, Gskill 32GB of RAM.

It’s weird, because when the computer shuts down while Diablo is running, I can’t just hit the power button. I have to flip the switch and wait a second, flip it back, then I can use the power button to turn the whole PC back on.

1 Like

Exactly the same behavior on my end. Running fine for hours, then my PC is suddenly shutting down completely. Have to flick the switch of the PSU off and on again, otherwise the PC won’t turn back on. Happened 5 or 6 times already, twice after teleporting to the Tree of Whispers.

Diablo 4 is the only game where this happens.

Ryzen 3700x
Geforce 3080
32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 DDR4
Corsair SF750 PSU
Drivers up to date, temperatures normal.

1 Like