Non stop crashes since patch. Not a single crash before today

PC specs if you must…
10900K, 16GB DDR4, Geforce RTX 3080, latest drivers, Windows 10, playing at 1440p, etc.
Ingame options highlights:
Windowed (Fullscreen)
NVDIA DLSS set to DLAA
Nvidia Reflex Low Latency set to Enabled
Quality: everything is on Max, except Texture is on High

Since the patch dropped I’ve had non-stop crashes. The frequency of crashes is increasing despite restarting my computer several times and running the scan and repair tool for the game. At first it seemed to only occur when using Whirlwind during World Events, but now it happens everywhere… solo nightmare dungeons, legion events, helltide runs. I switched to necro and the crashes started getting worse. Switched back to barb and now I’m at 2 minutes of gameplay before another crash in helltide.

Clearly the patch introduced a game breaking bug (memory leak??) so don’t ask me to update my drivers, just fix the damn thing.

15 Likes

I’ve had zero issues. In fact, haven’t had any technical issues from day 1. Might want to try disabling all background programs and overlays to see if that helps. Things like Geforce Experience (have never installed that on my system), Discord, RGB programs, Razer software, etc.

1 Like

I’m right there with you, I’m crashing like 45 seconds into loading into the world. I’ve done the re-install, drivers etc etc etc

I’m posting in here to follow for a response. Killed 3 hours tonight hoping to play just running fixes that did nothing

2 Likes

Pretty much same specs as Malefic and same situation.
Game is unplaying due to crashing and it has never crashed before. Seizes up the whole PC and then disconnects. Tried just about everything.

2 Likes

same here. i7-10700k oc’d, 32 gb ram, 3070. windows 10 and 1080p gaming. stores almost garuntee a crash/ comparing items in my stash. running around the world is better but still happens. ran a couple nightmares with a friend disconnecting 3+ times per run. until finally gave up.
scan/ repair on battlenet, updated drivers, uninstalled and tried old drivers that he was on. closed everything but diablo that i can. same issue.

Edit: for more pc specs

2 Likes

I’ve tried the following with success so far.

modify the ‘LocalPrefs’ file in the Diablo 4 folder by changing the line DisableChromaEffects ‘0’ to DisableChromaEffects ‘1’.

Edit: Nevermind. Almost lost my lvl 62 hardcore barb thinking this was the fix. Maybe it works for somebody else.

2 Likes

Same here. Crashed maybe a dozen times in an hour or two. Many of the crashes were in Helltide (where I came back with half my Cinders every time FFF), but there were also several where I was just sitting in town looking at an item or in my stash literally doing nothing.

Looking at the crash logs in the game folder, and almost all of them show this once the error is thrown:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) at:
DBG-OPTIONS
DBG-ADDR<00007FF7B278131F>(“Diablo IV.exe”)

Except one, which shows this:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (c000001d) at:
DBG-OPTIONS
DBG-ADDR<00007FF7B278131F>(“Diablo IV.exe”)

And something like this is always shown in the timestamps:

I 2023.06.28 06:11:15.093588 [Crash] Thread ‘JobWorker5’ handling fatal error
I 2023.06.28 06:11:15.095446 [Crash] UnhandledExceptionFilter
I 2023.06.28 06:11:15.095622 [Crash] Crashed thread: ‘JobWorker5’ (0x2820)

It is absolutely unplayable at the moment and until I see a future hotfix download I probably won’t even bother trying. Never lasts more than a few minutes.

4 Likes

I’m having similar issues - crashed multiple times in an hour, and running a similar rig:

I9-10900k, RTX 3090 - updated drivers, rebooted, closed additional apps, repaired/reinstalled, etc (I work as a software analyst and am fairly comfortable navigating the “standard” set of recommendations).

No issues prior to today, even during the betas. I have hundreds of hours into the game and have been clean throughout.

Another thread had a user running a RTX 3080 also. There was an updated available for me today which I downloaded after my first two crashes occurred, but seemingly no difference after the update.

This is definitely not just a single user issue.

1 Like

My 1st crash was on my 67 HC barb in blind burrows farming renown lol

Thankfully I think the scroll of escape saved me because I loaded back in within seconds and was standing in town.

There are several posts on these forums and reddit about this topic at this point, with others experiencing similar issues, and apparently on similar hardware.

Maybe hold off on commenting in the future until you’ve had a chance to do some research on the topic. It’s a big patch, bugs are likely, regression testing doesn’t hit everything.

2 Likes

Same here, the game keeps crashing after the June 28th update and I can’t seem to figure out why.
The fenris error is 01112136-110D-4049-8EFF-0637E876C20D

1 Like

Also been crashing since I downloaded the update with no prior issues. 3050 gamer

1 Like

I made a post about this around the same time as you. As you say, I’m almost certain it’s due to a VRAM memory leak. Curious if others can confirm excessive VRAM usage too.

2 Likes

10900k, 3080ti, 32gb ram, exactly same issue, keeps crashing non stop since patch, before I had no issues. Also noticed the VRAM issue with gpu… way too much usage no matter what settings I use in game the vram usage keeps creeping up while playing.

1 Like

Good for you. Do you mind if the rest of us that are having issues express our concerns? Thank you for your considerations.

1 Like

Same thing is happening to me!
10700k overclocked, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080, latest drivers, Windows 11, 1440p, HDR enabled, Fullscreen.
I play necro. After patch it would crash Fenris error code after two mins of game play. I looked up fixes on youtube. Tried them, with zero difference. I also uninstalled and reinstalled. After reinstall I played for 10 mins and it crashed without error code. I haven’t seen anyone talk about this and its hard to find anyone shedding light on it. I also tweeted to #DiabloIV about it, and had zero response. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

2 Likes

so after non stop crashes I decided to just disable DLSS as I’ve had it act up in other games with poor optimization.

So far it’s been 55 minutes without a crash, compared to the usual 5 minutes. Fingers crossed this is the culprit. Also, no difference in performance and perhaps a slight downgrade visually (I think?)

1 Like

I just did the same think. I turned off DLSS and lowered my graphics to low just to be safe. So far so good.

figure i’ll bump this up because i’ve been experiencing constant crashes since yesterdays patch as well. probably attempted to play a total of 2-3 hours and had double digit crashes after about 10-15 minutes played each time. i’ve scanned and repaired, made sure my drivers were up to date, clean installed the drivers, fully reinstalled the game, turned graphics to low, turned off DLSS. nothing works. game ran fine with 0 issues before yesterday, now it’s just unplayable. i will patiently wait for a response to this issue. thanks.

edit: also cleared my shader cache, and ran as admin. no luck.

UPDATE: Just had my first crash with about an hour long session. I really don’t know what is going on besides the patch has something to do with it.