[Main Thread] Game stops responding/freezes/crashes at launch - Early Access (June-2023)

I am still with the same problem!

I got mine to work by changing graphics settings of Diablo 4 through Nvidia GeForce Experience :upside_down_face: or spamming the “optimize” button a few times.

I found the solution in the Discord group and just relaying it here. This is specifically an NVME drive install issue related to direct storage. rename the dstorage.dll file to dstorage.dllbkp until the blizzard team can fix it.

2 Likes

Sadly did not work for me :frowning:

Same here…I get stuck on the splash screen. If I run as administrator I can get as far as “logging into Diablo IV”…

Tried the various fixes, reboots, reinstalls and nothing works.

I had the exact same issue during Server Slam (played one day and couldn’t play at all the next).

HOw they hell do they release retail with the SAME STUPID problem in place??? This is idiotic.

Also, why is there NO response from the devs after hours of this garbage? I don’t understand…

1 Like

Hey guys finally got it to work.
Go to properties
Compatibility
Enable “Run in 640x480 screen resolution”.
Then play the game works fine even through intro cinematic.
Hope that works for you guys. :+1:

Hey finally got it to work.
Go to properties
Compatibility
Enable “Run in 640x480 screen resolution”.
Then play the game works fine even through intro cinematic.
Hope that works for you :+1:

Looks like the patch that just dropped might have helped.

If not, there is a direct storage DLL file that is located in the Diablo IV folder that you can rename.

dstorage.dll

1 Like

what’s the file to change again and which dll file in the directory?

Your game folder where Diablo IV is installed.

The patch was supposed to address the problem, but if it hasn’t then go to the location of your game’s install. Default is C:\Program Files\Diablo IV\

In there, look for the file called dstorage.dll. Just rename the file or add .old to the end.

Do this while not in game or in the launcher.

Then try again.

1 Like

damn didn’t work but thank you anyway.

thanks, work for me…

What worked for me was setting Battle.Net to close when the game is started. Works every time now with the below running in the background.

Running outdated Nvidia driver.
Nvidia overlay running.
Nvidia broadcasting running.
Twitch Studio running.
Firewall & anti-virus on.

@viscar Resultó, muchas gracias :smiley:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update on this specific issue. We were able to investigate this issue, verify what was happening and it was addressed via patch last night. If you are still having issues, you may need to pick up that particular update. You can restart your system, relaunch battlenet which should force it to verify files and obtain any needed updates. This is specifically where exiting the Battlenet Desktop Application after launch solves the issue.

If neither the patch nor exiting the Battlenet app solves the issue, then you may have something else happening. Please follow the information here, and if necessary reply back with the requested information so the community and support can assist further.

2 Likes

Still experiencing “freezes” or FPS drops in the game.

game still freezing and crashing as soon as i try to play it.
worked for awhile, then i had this issue yesterday so i had to fully uninstall and re-install it on a new drive to fix it. it worked all day yesterday after that.
this morning it is doing it again, as soon as i click play the game stops responding then crashes shortly after.

1 Like

Now it crashes with new error.

Prism.
Device removal detected.

and according to event viewer game crashed display driver.

Edit: getting progressively worse from 20min to crash to 2 min till crash
Edit2: Made no changes to the setting had a proper 30m+ long session
TP in the city clicked on the world tier statue game froze had to kill via task manager.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.