Level scaling sucks

Everyone plays differently. What you might find bad mechanics others might think is the greatest. Personally, I like the level scaling specifically because it means NO content is trivial and you can go back through stuff and it’s still as fun as the first time you did it… WOW is a great example of not scaling content with your character power. There is zero reason to revisit areas once you out-level them and it makes the world seem smaller and smaller as you progress. That’s terrible game design for a live service game.

2 Likes

Level scailing was barely in gaming at all when D2 was out.

Level scaling is amazing. You can head any direction and face a challenge.

You can always down tier as they cap as well.

Also you kill shi in 5 seconds even with level scaling sounds like a skill issue.

Different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

How do you figure? Do you believe a troll is simply someone you don’t agree with?

Level scaling just means you are REQUIRED to level up your gear at least as fast as you level your character XP. The worst thing you can do is just go around, la la, killing stuff which has a low chance of dropping upgrades. Suddenly you’re four XP levels higher, but you’ve gone DOWN in effective power level vs mobs because your gear has fallen behind. Now you finally go into a dungeon or something looking for good rewards and find you can’t kill the end boss.

6 Likes

You only have to be 50 and you outmax t1 and t2… Thats 1/2 of the way to max incase you have issues doing math.

its actually the perfect balance. Keeps the initial stuff fresh for longer and gives you the chance to faceroll later on. I love it.

3 Likes

Meh I don’t mind it. Has its pros and cons but the fact the game is open world is worth it IMO.

Game feels good albeit a little too easy IMO.

I totally agree. I have never found level scaling to make any rpg better. It’s just not what leveling is about, really takes away from the feeling that the world really exists by making it so adjustable. I feel like it’s a lazy way to get around a lot of balance and to make things more replayable but just…meh. I like being able to really set the difficulty , get overpowered, be underpowered and get my face destroyed sometimes…all of that.

Otherwise all leveling doesn’t matter as much.

7 Likes

It matters at max level.

Leveling is more of a tool these days to introduce you slowly to new mechanics rather then throw it all at you at once.

The scaling only happens til 100

Gearing continues past 100.

Easiest way to conceptualize it is warcraft.

Theres a huge difference between a fresh capped character vs one current mythic raid geared and you definitely smash things once you go back later.

Yes it’ll take longer now but the game is already faceroll how face roll do you need it to be are you trying to just roll your tongue across the keys or something?

I think level scaling was a great idea. It’s nice not to face roll earlier areas after a couple of levels. Massive improvement.

On side of level scaling in an arpg is stupid. You play these games to become powerful and progress, this game you feel weak the entire time throughout. They could have made the monsters mechanics more hard or at least did a 2:1 ratio when you progress, but decided to do 1:1 because of lazy design. My opinion - don’t like it, don’t give af.

4 Likes

I love level scaling. It keeps the content fresh and allows you to choose which way to progress. I hate when I play an RPG and because I am 10 levels above an area I one shot everything. Level scaling is one of the best mechanics this game has.

2 Likes

Hold on, hold on. You gonna come here and lick blizzards boots by telling us they came out with a system that allows us to level up without invalidating content during leveling? while still being able to go back and overpower things? But having to up the difficulty to advance?

I see blizzards check cleared. Spreading accurate information must be a specialty for you.

1 Like

Level Scaling is awesome. Last night I played for ~3 hours with a friend.

Today, she had to work … I played for several more hours. When she got off work, and joined me? She was still level 12 … I was level 23. We were able to play together without either me facerolling everything or her being one-shot if something merely SNEEZED at her from two screens away.

2 Likes

Congratz, you can do the exact same thing in PoE or any ARPG allready.

level scaling is fine WHEN IN A GROUP, but when playing solo? this kills each and all power progression.

It also completely kills Hardcore.
in all other ARPGs you can play hardcore SLOW but SAFE. By grinding out zones, doing quests etc. to allways make sure you are a few levels ahead.
In D4 you ACTIVELY get PUNISHED for leveling up.
How the f this should work in a hardcore setting? makes absolutely zero sense.
Putting in more time should reward you with more power/safety - not the polar opposite.

11 Likes

Yes, it sucks, but ppl here can’t accept critics in their game, so… yea… it’s a shame

7 Likes

I haven’t noticed the scaling in a little while. I’m in the final area about to beat the campaign and I’m not even level 40. Everything here is lvl 45. Might be level 39 by the time I beat it. T2 too easy.

Level scaling is horrible. It’s fine if you want to group up with a lower level, but forcing it on players is lazy and unimaginable.

It’s great that some wow players are enjoying the grind without a power curve. That’s why I don’t play wow anymore. It was always all stick and no carrot.

ARPGS (The “A” stands for action) and as I type this, at level 32 I just stood behind a level 17 and let him kill everything because it was harder for me to do it, oh, and it was a necro.

Us having to gear up to keep up with the scaling is backwards, and as attested by the many posts about it, not very fun.

Twinking alts? Forget it.

With this scaling, you are better off skipping all the content and just leveling. Then play with a friend 30 levels lower and follow them through the quests… the scaling has flipped the carrying.

11 Likes

Yep and your opinion is worth about as much as a used copy of D2R

1 Like

Yeah, I guess that’s what this game will be worth in a couple months if they don’t listen to the player base.

Poe 2 is coming up, like Poe killed D3, Im certain Poe 2 will kill D4 at this rate. But trust me, I want to like it, but Blizzard keeps making really crappy design decisions and devs clearly have pet mechanics they love putting in every game.

3 Likes

I was very afraid of level scaling aswell, since i am a 20 year diablo 2 player…
I must say i found it very straight forward, and quite easy - just posted a topic about the game being way to easy specially in the later campaign… It is not a problem at all in my perspective, if people used 2 braincells to see what their actual abilities does then the game becomes waaay to easy in my opinion.