Level scaling sucks

Yeah… You need to rely on better gear and skill points early on to offset it. Anecdotally, I had a story dungeon in the early to mid 20s that was a nearly impossible boss fight. I went out and did side quests and leveled and got more gear drops and went from mostly blue gear to all yellows and an orange + my newer skills/more points in existing skills+some gems and went back to the dungeon at 29 and walked through the boss like nothing even though they “scaled” with me. The difficulty was night and day.

Yes it would. I never defined an ending number. I simply said the creatures are lvl 70+(which they are) in WT4. Therefore WT4 DOES fall under 70+.

Slow leveling
Rares being useful(essentially fusing the rares and legendary skill tree)
Skill Trees
Hostility to respec’ing
End game starting well before max level
Grinding set dungeons rather than more RNG ones

Many of these things mesh poorly with the design philosophy they brought over from D3.

Level scaling isn’t an issue at all in D3 because D3 is an at max level game(not even taking into account that the level scaling was far better balanced there). It is the D2 style slow leveling process in combination with the poorly balanced scaling that gets so many complaints.

Rares being useful while also dropping commonly turns inventory management into a drag.

Skill Trees and hostility to respec’ing makes swapping builds a pain while having abilities on gear encourages swapping builds to try new things

Why is this a reply to me? I already said that level scaling isn’t an issue in D3 because you’re at max level pretty much all the time.

The reason things are jank is because it borrows from both D3 and D2 design philosophy in areas that highly contradict.

Your post stated that the game draws very heavily from D3 so that it’s hard to see the D2 elements, so I illustrated how many of the issues were actually a product of mixing systems from both games(which have fundamentally different design philosophies on a number of things).

It’s like sticking half of a Tesla to half of a Ford truck.

Fair enough. I certainly wasn’t intending to analyze the whole game when writing my post, but I think we’re, I think, on the same or at least a similar wavelength when it comes to the issues affecting the game.

And this, children, is where the abomination known as the “Tesla cybetruck” comes from.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t try and belittle others valuable information. 70+ means anything over 70, which is not true. WT4 scaling stops at level95. IS THIS STILL NOT CLEAR TO YOU!?

I suggested a scaling solution here: Having level scaling and still being good!

I am doing 73+ WT4 content with underleveled character and have no issues. I believe you though, because a lot of people don’t know how to optimize their builds and/or play the game.

So in other words you have no idea what the players above level 70(since you have yet to experience it with your level), are talking about and just need attention?

easiest solution would be remove the aweful scaling and let us level alts faster to be faster on the same level with friends. Theres no point in trying to get stronger if everything levels with you

1 Like

wow, such a blasphemy

On today’s live chat they have avoided answering a question about lvl scaling wtf

how do you know that?

great post and summary of why level scaling sucks

I agree they also blew off the social issues. I don’t understand why two of the biggest issues are dismissed.

I love Diablo 4, it gives the feeling like I play Diablo 2 again and feels like it tries to go back to it roots BUT they ruin the whole game with level scaling.
I don’t feel the progress anymore like I am not getting stronger at all.
Seeing level 10 players killing the same mobs just as fast as a level 40 players is weird.
Such a shame…

Did the same with WoW. It’s a dumb idea when you’re supposed to grow stronger as you level. That’s the point of an rpg generally, and is core for any arpg. Way too much WoW design influence in D4. Likely development shortcuts.

The level scaling is ATROCIOUS