Level Scaling Isnt Good

Exactly. This isn’t a story-based roleplaying game… it’s a live-service game.

Be sure you know what you’re getting into.

1 Like

The smarter hc players will abuse this lvl scaling system. Why bother pushing the story or side quests or dungeons, when they can just have a low lvl buddy carry them at the events spawn locations in the first zone. We will see massive chat spam of selling lvl services, and anyone will be able to do it since low lvls can carry.

Scaling doesn’t make it harder, it spoonfeeds progression instead of giving the player agency to take risks in how quickly they want to try and progress through the content.

2 Likes

Exactly. Character level is supposed to signify progress and scaling negates that. It’s a self defeating mechanic.

4 Likes

you are delusional to think that will be a thing. it would get patched. also some areas only scale at a certain level. and you need to be a certain level to access certain difficulties so you won’t be able to get uniques

Optimizing a character to a not fun mechanic, is not fun.

Your delusional to think it won’t be a thing. The only way they could fix it is to set a lvl range with the players in a shared world, and a lvl range of those in your party, and I don’t see that happening. And since the first zone scales it doesn’t matter. Players abusing this system won’t be behind in gear because they are farming the events and gambeling for gear.

i’ve never played a game that didn’t fix that quickly. also a lot of content is locked to low levels so it already can’t really happen

you can start farming map events as early as lvl 5 and invite people to your party at that point as well

level scaling is what turns d3 leveling into nonsense. Why not just start as max level? It just eat time to loop of dropping same items but higher level again and again, fighting monsters scaling always to your level.

I would like to have different level of content in the same areas, so i can get there back later, but not be annoyed by monsters and content i surpass long ago. There are must be dungeons, world bosses, rifts/maps etc for endgame content.
Even if location is low level it still can be a place for high-level event or dungeon. Or justinteresting NPC or object.
But scaling kills the feeling of progress, you cant get back in locations to feel the difference of how stronger you get. You have no common determinator for your character until you reach max level. It’s worst game design.

It needs to be part of the difficulty settings so it can be enable or disabled per user.

1 Like

Agree with ya that lvl scaling ruins the lvling experience. As I played the beta, lvling up felt quite pointless and stupid. In a lore kind of way it is also completely nonsensical. Watching low lvls with trash gear doing more damage to a monster that is of the same lvl as me felt stupid. I get that on paper its cute but there are too many sacrifices to the experience/story/lore. Like I cant get over the fact that wolves or bandits keep getting that much stronger (enough to equal beasts of hell). IMO certain species should be lvl capped or replaced by stronger demons as you progress in the story that is unfolding. Anyway not my job to figure it out but it currently feels quite silly and does not encourage me to play.

2 Likes

I find it humorous how much talk there is in here about how scaling keeps areas relevant. Folks, no matter what, there are going to be large parts of the world that you ignore. Even if everything is technically still relevant, other areas will grab your attention more or simply be more fun to play in.

I’m not crazy about level scaling in a Diablo game, at least not as part of the journey to endgame and max level.

the scaling doesn’t necessarily bother me as end-game is going to be level 70+ regardless.

Scaling only really affects the first playthrough experience negatively, in the end it isn’t going to matter much, but that’s an interpretation of what you think the game is about and how you play it, for me, its end-game unique hunting and pvp, so scaling doesn’t matter.

The funny thing is, you could level to like 7 going from the rogue encampment to the dark wood in d2. I don’t think there is enough mobs in the open world of an entire region to get to level 7 in this game.

The lack of enemies is more concerning to me. Too many of these little “events” scattered around and if someone already did the event in the area, all you’re doing is more running around.

I couldn’t agree more. Level scaling is a cancer in modern gaming. It robs progression of purpose. This a problem when the purpose of the game is progression…

2 Likes

Yeah, been playing the game for a bit and something felt off. Level scaling just removes the “diablo feel” from the game. Its not only frustrating as i dont feel rewarded by new items and skills, but it also loses some level of dynamic that previous games had. I get the world is designed in such a way that level scaling is somewhat necessary, but maybe it would be worth considering putting a level cap on level scaling? Such as zones that scales to level 1-10, 11-20, and so on. It shouldnt feel that new items im getting are purely cosmetic at this point.

1 Like

the scale formula should rethink just littlebit.
More you level up, more it hard ! , if you broke one stuff, you death and need start new game.
Scale Formula should keep scaling but reduce player lv (M x Mlv x (Plv / 10))

I haven’t been able to read everything but I would like to add my opinion on this.
I have played all Diablo games and feeling stronger is the main source of good feeling for me. Killing an hard enemy when it’s the first time it is cool and rewarding but being able to come back stronger and just slash it feels greater for me.

Currently I’m not able to play much and I haven’t enough time to think hard on the skill set and everything. It feels like to be stronger I have two options : play better, be lucky with the drops.
As I said, the option one is out because of lacking the time.
So my only option to feel again the same feeling is too be lucky. Great.

Since it’s so easy for blizzard to change the enemy level I would like to have the option to have no or little level scaling. We already have an option for global difficulty, this is just one option to add on top.

When playing with friend it’s great to a have a level scaling so that your high level friend is not too bored but again, it’s too strong. I would like that my lvl 60 friend could really help me a lvl 15 barb.

1 Like