Items enabling builds

D3 lets you do something similar but I forget what it’s called.

All of the item systems are directly inspired from what they developed in D3 over the last 6-8 years.

It’s unfair to call D4 an original game. There isn’t anything new about it besides the graphics.

The fact that already is legendary power, enabling builds at low level. Is abit frighting. I wonder if everyone will want that 1 specific item to play build at high level.

what makes it bad is that the items you find might not even support your build. like finding titan’s revenge on a bowazon. biggest reason to not have respec fees, imo.

You can play without legendary items. But nodes on the skill tree are uninspired. Especially most of the “ultimate” skills.

I just think completely relying on very specific aspect/modifier for the skill to actually feel good is a problem I think.

Are they actually useless? Or are they just less damage and you are regurgitating what you saw a streamer say? hmmmm

This is generally what the codex is for. You find the dungeon that teaches you that legendary effect and you imprint it on a rare, so you are never entirely at the mercy of RNG.

Pretty much useless for the classes that I have tried. I can’t speak for all but they are very underwhelming. Usually the core skill has higher DPS and doesn’t have the cooldown restriction.

Codex imprint 50% of the power on most of the items and not all legendary effects will be available in the codex. With multipliers 100% + you lose a lot of damage, if you are lucky to have the legendary effect in the codex at all and to have it yourself unlocked.

Right, it gives you the lowest possible roll on the power range. That way your build can be functional but you still have reason to hunt for better drops.

I haven’t looked yet at how many legendary powers won’t be in the codex, I was under the impression that most were and it would primarily be the unique item effects you had to get lucky on.

One of the first legendary items I found on my necro was a shield that was a flat +2 skellies [melee]. quickly out leveled the shield and had to extract it, and put it in another shield. I mean, once you get that how do you not play with it?

1 Like

I’ve only tried Rare and but other Legendary items seems to work too. I wasn’t saying it was a fix to itemization just that it makes the existing itemization marginally better.

the abilities just feel bad, its the same problem D3 had by introducing long cooldowns.

1 Like

Well yeah. Typically that’s how sequels work. They are going to have something similar to the previous version but slightly different.

I agree. Remember in D2 how uniques very rarely have skills? I guess runewords mostly did and some items like wolfhowl, but they didn’t feel the same.

I think itemization in D4 needs more complexity and maybe balance, than D2’s, but not by making every legendary give a special power or they suck (like in D3). It’s kind of breaking the game. Enigma, grief and infinity really narrowed the actual options in D2, but one thing in favor of those is that even thought they were bis items, they did not force a build on you. Runewords were genius because you dropped the runes or traded for the ones you NEEDED for the build you WANTED.

Taking a skill out of an item and throwing it left and right kills the value of all item tiers. Uniques are extracting materials. Blues and whites are useless. Yellows have no value on their own, not without a skill (plus I hate the stats items have, simpler is better). Imagine if you could have unsocketed your runes out of a runewords without penalty. It would have killed that system.

I hate the stats rolling on D4’s items. Can’t believe the demonic/angelic idea evolved over time to become this, which is not any better. Might as well have saved a lot of energy and time to improve something. Honestly I wouldn’t let the game launch with that system.

True, you don’t get any relevant gear in D3 before lv 70. So I guess that’s different.

Sorc isn’t perfect either and needs work too, its just that the other classes are in rough shape and need work which is why the sorc and necro seem OP. Sorc basically has a few viable options like Chain Lightning builds, or Hydra and ice blades which are also good - other classes don’t have anything like that, and if they do - its probably mid to late game where they might shine making the beta give a false indication of how good these classes are…potentially that is.

I’ve kind of tried to play each class with an eye to how dependent they are on legendaries.

Rogue- fairly independent, but only because the legendaries aren’t really very good, so your skills are what you have to work with.

Barbarian- utterly independent, imo. Personally, I think the people who think Barb isn’t very good are overthinking the class. My build is pretty much just the basic skill (lunging strike) and a bunch of passive increases and defenses. So, whatever legendary effects I got were just bonus abilities.

Sorcerer- actually kind of dependent. Sure, the class is powerful, but you really want to get some effects that line up with what you’re running, too.

Druid- 100% dependent. The class is in such desperate need of assistance and buffing, that whatever legendaries you end up with ARE your build and you need to make sure to respec to have a build that goes along WITH them, so that you have a shot at not sucking royally.

Necros- Like the Barbarian, but oh so very much more. Pretty much can’t make a bad Necro unless you avidly TRY to make a bad one, so whatever legendaries you get are almost certain to just make things even better.

So, if you are playing Rogue, Druid, and some Sorcs, gotta hope for RNGesus to bless you with good legendaries. Although, Sorc at least has a good chance of being just fine without… but, maybe not AS well off as the game progresses. Will know more once we get the full game.

The problem with barb is that if blizz nerfs thorns or bleed damage you’re pretty much screwed and useless.

I don’t agree with your druid point. I had barely any legendaries and the ones I had were generic. My druid did just fine from 1-25 as ranged. Not as good as the wizard but the wolves did wonders.

Not a fan of the barb after I played, it just feels so weak at lower levels and melee being the way it is. It got better though, same deal as my druid, no real legendaries that made it pop.

The sorc was a beast, with or without legendaries. I did get the dual head hydra legendary but felt more like icing on the cake.

The rogue is the class I’ve played the least so won’t comment on it.

The necro is just in the sorc league. Does fine without any legendary, but I did notice some quite nice ones like the +2 pets(melee and mage). The other one I liked was the blight on prison. Nothing that really felt like I got stronger. Ran into the butcher 3 times while leveling and killed him every time. The first time he came across me was when I had just got a decent weapon upgrade so I was quite powerful. The he came again after a few levels and it was much tougher but he isn’t very hard to exploit(ie he just stands still).

literally he most powerful legendary in the entire beta. Try playing sorc with the bad skills and tell me how much of a beast she is.