Is there a Memory leak?

I’m not sure if there’s a memory leak or if the game is JUST that hungry, but diablo 4 is literally using 22 GB of ram, I only have 32 because most games don’t even go over 10, let alone 20.

7 Likes

would be weird if 32 wasnt enough when they recommend 8 on their requirements.

havnt looked at numbers yet. all i know is that its generally smooth but hiccups from what looks like asset loading every ~15 seconds when moving around. a bit weird/unsteady
despite being on an m.2

3 Likes

Looks the same on vram usage, there is no reason it use almost 12gb ngl

1 Like

Yea its very stuttery, I’m playing with a Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB of ram at 3600 MHz, an RTX 3070 Ti, 1440p maxed out getting well over 100 FPS but I just keep getting REALLY bad stutters that are obnoxious.

5 Likes

I see no other explanation. My PC can handle most games easily, but when I load and play this beta, everything whines and slows to a crawl, stuttering and stuff. If it isn’t fixed, I won’t be able to actually play this game upon release, and end up asking for a refund.

5 Likes

You can check if there’s a memory leak by leaving the task manager open on a separate screen and seeing if the value just keeps rising.

1 Like

Same, my youtube videos downscaled to 480p, my browsers were lagging, games lagging, I crashed once too but that might have been unstable undervolt, still working on that.

And, it continues affecting my system after I close the game. I have to restart the PC.

2 Likes

Yeah same here, It stutter like hell on i7 13700K / RTX 4070ti. I guess it’s because the game is still in beta, still missing some last optimizations.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, it goes down after playing a while, but its still over 15.

Well if it goes down over time then I’m willing to say it doesn’t have a leak.

We had a memory leak issue with a laptop at work due to the Windows Ease of Access feature. Using a barcode reader to scan barcodes (obviously) it ended up bogging down the computer because every time we scanned something it ate up more RAM.

Even worse for a lot of casual gamers, like me. I have an I3 with 16g RAM and a 2g video card. Yet, I can play WoW, FF, Diablo III, Sims 4 (operationally intensive), and many other things with absolutely no issue. Something is definitely wrong. It’s like their programmers forgot to implement destructors and garbage collection (cleaning up unused variables).

1 Like

Yea, I’m lucky to have 32Gb and I also have another 32GB I can add once I make sure they work ok, but alot of casual gamers rock 8-16GB because its just cheaper and most people don’t need 32+, so I hope they smooth this out.

Yeah don’t worry, i’m also a dev. You do those kind of work at the end of the project so you don’t have to optimize it every change you do on the engine. It’s fine for a beta game. Any beta game ive played recently are alot worst to be fair

1 Like

I was too before I retired. But we used domain and test driven design, so coding properly started right out of the box.

2 Likes

The EU forums and Subreddit have posted about this. The EU forums has gotten a response from Blizzard that this should not be the case and have begun gathering reports from their players.

We have not seen NA or actual dev responses yet but from what is being said. There is definitely something wrong with the RAM usage. This has also been recognized by Streamers playing the game.

1 Like

change textures from high to medium, your RAM will go from 29GB to 17GB. Still stupid but your computer doesn’t go on fire.

2 Likes

Yeah the but with shadders compiling on client side now it’s alot worst to optimize. But you get the point that before games were well made in term of optimizations. Now looks like they just hope dlss will make the game works haha

2 Likes

Mine defaulted to Medium, so I had to go to Low, and it still stuttered and bogged down the PC, even after shutting the game down.

1 Like

nah ill be fine for now, I still had 5ish free after windows took what it needed.