Introducing Johanna Faries as the new President of Blizzard Entertainment

5 Likes

What languages does she code in?

3 Likes

A bit more background.

A Harvard graduate, Faries served the past five years with Activision Blizzard as the General Manager of Call of Duty, Senior Vice President Head of Leagues, and Call of Duty Esports Commissioner, following a nearly 12 year career in marketing strategy and business development with the National Football League (NFL).

She is apparently quite into D4. I have no idea if that will mean anything or not.

She mentioned the games she plays here on her Twitter.

2 Likes

I thought she took the mantle of “Johanna”. But that’s also not less interesting.

1 Like

She joined Activision back in 2018, and is already the President of Blizzard 6 years later. We’ll see how she does.

4 Likes

Her background sounds much more like a match for esports than for a game like Diablo or WoW.

I quoted the Wowhead article on it above. Solid business background, quite suitable for esports, competitive gaming marketing, etc. IDK? Maybe that could be good if people want OW cleaned up or a more competitive version of D4?

I will settle for someone who protects the Dev teams form the suits forcing games out the door early, or filling them with MTX. If she does that I will be happy.

14 Likes

A Harvard grad, huh? Never a good sign. :smile:

Well, hopefully she can get things moving in a good direction.

8 Likes

GM of call of duty the past 3 years? Nothing will change here. PASS

16 Likes

She will do what she is told.

10 Likes

Five years, not three. Not sure that makes any difference, but just correcting the time line in case you were interested.

1 Like

Less than 3 years GM of COD according to her linkedin. 5.5 years working at blizzard.

2 Likes

Interesting that she seems very esports focused in her background. Considering how Blizzard have mishandled their own esport games for a long time.

As for her little letter, mentioning that she tries to find time for daily prayers and likes D4 (riiight), sounds like disqualifications to me :stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously though, if she wanted to flash her “I totally play video games, trust me!” she should have mentioned some non-Blizzard/ATVI/Microsoft games. A corporate talking head saying they play their own games is too easy.

That would certainly be much much more than one could realistically expect.
That and acting on allegations of harassment.

3 Likes

She literally said she plays Baldur’s Gate 3.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Meat Grinder, Johanna.

3 Likes

Ah, she does. I only read the letter.

1 Like

To be fair, though, her playing her company’s own games shouldn’t matter either. Lots of people spent months tearing down Blizzard for being out of touch with what the players want and not playing their own games, and here’s someone who actively plays Blizzard games. We should be happy someone has a vested interest in seeing these games get better.

What was wrong with the previous President? Maybe I missed something.

1 Like

Well, arguably there was a bunch of things wrong with him, but more importantly, he apparently felt there was a bunch of things wrong with Microsoft, and left. Or was forced out. Who knows.

C++, where C stands for Corporate. Obviously.

4 Likes

What are you talking about? She has been with Activision Publishing on CoD for 5 years. Not Blizzard.

I think BG3 fits that category right?

He resigned when Microsoft laid off 1900 people across ATVI, Xbox, and Microsoft gaming.

Good article here on it.

1 Like