Introducing Johanna Faries as the new President of Blizzard Entertainment

Yea I was looking over her background before joining Activision and then after joining. Considering her 12 year career in marketing strategy and business development, I could see a lot more corporate ideas making their way into the development processes of Blizzard games. Considering how well CoD has done over the years, financially speaking of course (I don’t play the game myself so no idea how it’s doing playerbase wise), I have no doubt she’s played some part in that success as well.

I could easily see more MTX creeping in, although aside from D4 (which is cosmetic only), I’m not sure exactly how much more MTX they could insert into their other games. Careful what I say though right, they could always surprise us. Like the latest paywall features of the new Yakuza game and keeping out functions of the game behind them.

Should be interesting to see what happens behind the scenes, not that we’ll really know who alters what, but we’ll definitely see the results.

Maybe that is what she likes about Diablo 4 :stuck_out_tongue: She looks at it, and see how much more she could exploit that predatory MTX shop.

:money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

It does indeed.

2 Likes

‘Beauty in Sin’ Druid Style?

Awesome if she plays D4, we need actual players in the admin hierarchy for this game to truly understand the dynamics we are facing.

2 Likes

I for one welcome our new corporate overlords.

2 Likes

Bet she rolls Barb. And then it ALL makes sense for current meta. :grinning:

1 Like

LOL, always seeing the angle! hahahah!

She must not roll a sorc.

ALthough I wonder when the SORC overpower build will come out.

Barb, Rogue, Druid, Necro all over overpower builds now?

1 Like

More like the previous President was Barb Only. While she is a hardcore Sword and Board Wizard player in DnD, and things are about to change for the Sorc!

2 Likes

Meant activision w/e same company. Either way 2.5 years as COD GM.

No sir, Barb so OP now it doesn’t even need to use ‘Overpower’. :grinning:

@shadout, can you imagine if sorc could wield azurewrath and what those stats would do for Sorc class? Better yet dual wield Azure and Doombringer instead of offhand. Would be so epic as warrior class. I mean they already kind of want melee sorc anyways. Might as well let dual sword use.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

It’s not exactly merit based, nor does it need to be. These roles can be largely irrelevant or of a different nature and are nowadays conveniently used for image.

I caught a glimpse of these clowns around Heroes of the Storm and when “esports” seemed like a more promising thing. Blizzard got a guy from ESPN, had some woman being one of these commissioners, whatever. You’re talking about glorified numbskulls chasing money who aren’t gamers and don’t understand the appeal of games. Obviously it was to no avail.

Exactly. Non-story. And she is exactly the sort of person who would chase figures and resort to whatever gimmicks necessary to squeeze a buck. You see this sort of thing and you just roll your eyes, not to mention the even more obvious.

She does mention BG3. :wink: Must have a light schedule.

2 Likes

She had my vote. Viva La Presidente!

1 Like

Agreed, not to say she doesn’t deserve the position, or doesn’t have the credentials, but I would be generally interested to hear what a President of Blizzard actually does in the grand scheme of things. More to the point what exactly will she be doing.

1 Like

This whole thing annoys me to think about.

2 Likes

Corporate things. She is the one responsible for all the Blizzard franchises and divisions as far as budget, staffing, profits, future planning, large initiatives, etc. She is the interface up the chain. There should be a President for King and for Activision Publishing as well. Not sure what the new org chart will look like. Don’t know if anyone knows right now!

She does not make decisions on game details, at least the person in that role normally does not. President does not call for a buff, nerf, tweak in this, change in that. It would be bigger picture stuff. Like, if they made massive store changes that impact staffing levels/income generation, or were looking to get approval and funding for the next expansion pack. That goes up that chain.

Again, all I really want is a President who lets the Devs develop and not force things out the door before they are ready, and not fill things with MTX. I don’t know under Microsoft if the President will have any ability to do that. Ybarra did not seem to protect the D4 Dev team from what felt like a forced release so IDK.

3 Likes

She def. has the bawls to put in some decent leaderboards. Kudos in advance. esports comin back.

To OP Post.

That Sucks I was hoping for Chris Metzen to be honest. Though, I can see why he wouldn’t want the role and he is busy with the Warcraft Universe.

She was the GM of COD. I guess we are going to get dancing emotes now in D4 Like cardi B finisher moves​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Every time you complete a NMD, your character will do a dance. And gues what item we can buy in the store in the future !!!

1 Like

Well at least she isn’t Bobby’s sock puppet :man_shrugging:

One good thing that came out of this: she has a X account.
Which means that next time we are unhappy about a season launch, we can let her know directly. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like