I really want tempering to no longer brick items in Season 4

I am not a fan of the new tempering mechanic in D4 season 4. Making items brick can only feel good for people willing to dedicate hundreds of hours of playtime to the game rather than just play on weekends and being able to play a mix of different games over the season (which is what I’d personally like to do, just as I did with Diablo 3).

I really don’t believe that bricking items to ‘keep the chase alive’ is something that a majority of the audience who bought the game want, I’m sorry. To me, if I find an item with all the affixes I need at good rolls, I just want to temper it correctly and move on until find that same item at a higher item power down the road. It’s already satisfying enough - I don’t need this to be frustrating or to artificially “make it more rewarding”. Redoing stuff sucks, especially since +3 Frozen Orb gloves and these kinds of items seem to be stupidly rare to drop as it is in my experience, even if the other two affixes stink. I have yet to find a +X Frozen Orb and crit chance glove - if I bricked this, I would probably cry. Bricking such rare items is just way too much BS for me to handle. Maybe if all the affixes rolled equally on items, it would be tolerable? But the reality is that they don’t. I see stuff like +int and +max life WAY, WAY, WAY more than other affixes for some reason, and I’ve heard on podcasts that this is what other people are seeing too so I know it’s not just me.

I also think that the various tempering alternatives suck. For example, I want to get a double Frozen Orb cast on some of my pieces, but this outcome is competing against Ice Shards and Blizzard. I have ZERO use for Blizzard and Ice Shards!!! So when I go to temper my items, I roll these stupid things over and over while never getting my double chance to cast Frozen Orb. I had to brick 7 or 8 weapons already because of this. Please, I beg you, just stop it! I will happily pay 20x the resources just to temper my double Frozen Orb cast or whatever and be done with it!!! I don’t want to engage with this stupid mechanic anymore!

People talk about how “these systems will drive you to play longer,” but if this is the experience of Diablo 4, I’m just kinda done with it, to be honest. If it’s not one dumb design decision from the poor class balance, the horrible horse implementation, having to stare and squint at yellow items to find upgrades after every nightmare dungeon, the non-functioning resistances, etc. like the state of the game was at D4’s launch, it’s stupid crap like this after the game has now been “fixed”. Can you please just design a pleasant game that I can play without BS? Please?

At the end of the day, people obsessed with the psychological effects of gambling and people willing to spend hundreds of hours per season should not be dictating the design decisions for this game - I really don’t believe this is the core audience, just the vocal minority. The days of Diablo 2 where farming for one item all season long are over. At 40 years old, that’s just not what I’m looking for or have time for anymore. Besides, Path of Exile offers that more grindy, hardcore experience if the player wants it. Diablo has been far more casual for such a long time now.

42 Likes

lol. sorry but its hilarious how you made an essay about coping with the temper system.

9 Likes

It might be time to reevaluate your priorities. You do realize this isnt normal, right? Its just a game, if you dont like it then play something else.

2 Likes

Earlier i bricked 8 decent daggers in a row trying to get crit damage & rapid fire. So yeah the tempering system sucks.

22 Likes

This is about 90% of the posts on the forums right now.

Lol they want to get all bis in like 3 hours of game play its insane.

nothing in this game is rare anymore

Yeah its hilarious when people put effort and/or passion into a post in a hopes the game might improve from it

Rather than just typing “D4 BAD”

9 Likes

I don’t mind bricking items but I severely dislike the process of rolling the dice until I get what I want. It’d be fine if we could pick a specific affix and just roll within a range. Having to hit a 20% chance with 80% being utterly useless is simply frustrating.

15 Likes

I’ve played for far more than 3 hours. Nice strawman. You know your position is wrong when you have to lie and strawman and use ad hominems to come out on the ‘winning’ side.

5 Likes

Got my first 3 GA Bow after 300 hours, bricked it to oblivion. Salty as hell.

8 Likes

Lol strawman copium.

Better luck next reroll bud.

There’s a way around it, just temper a junk item 3 or 4 times then temper the item you want, apparently there’s a pity system and doing this helped me alot, too bad nobody else will tell people this instead they just troll because they’re losers

2 Likes

So it takes you 3 hours to get all 925 GA III items with the Affixes you want for every slot? Most people haven’t even seen a single GA III item from playing so please stop with the hyperbole.

It is obvious from the immense amount of negative feedback that the Tempering system needs to change. Did you see incessant posts before about players complaining about the RNG of finding a 3/4 item? No. The only complaint was that they messed around with Enchanting from a weighted system to complete RNG and not having a cap on costs.

Players could play the entire Season and STILL not find the GA III items they need for all item slots. This does not even take into account Masterworking that needs to happen.

No, players are not asking for free loot in 3 hours or whatever ridiculous argument you want to make. If anything, there were MORE complaints with Iron Wolves Caches getting “Free Loot”.

12 Likes

A summary of these threads…

People who want to play 100-200 hours a season think the tempering system is unfun,

People who want to play 1000+ hours a season in there discord group of forum posters dont want any changes because GA3 +3 Skill items drop like candy… that is until Blizzard changes the system then they will pat Blizzard on the back for a great change.

5 Likes

I dont understand how getting a temper you dont want “bricks” an item. Sure it may not be what you wanted but the item still has value (otherwise you wouldn’t bother tempering it in the first place).
Yeah sure its frustrating when you dont get the temper you want… just means you gotta grind for gear again and try again. The item can still be used regardless. Having a tempered affix you dont want doesnt make it useless at all. I get gear i temper and have stuff i dont like with my rng but i still would use the item until i can find a new item to try again with.

whew lad you missed the point entirely.

Don’t worry you’ll get your tempers eventually.

Easy - remove attempts altogether and let you roll until you get what you want.

1 Like

What is your point? Removing the stupid Durability on Tempers and allowing it to work like the Enchanting system (which it basically is just with a different name) is somehow “giving everyone all BiS in 3 hours”?

Oh sorry I’ll add a sarcasm clause next time so you get it.

“Sarcasm indicator”

Derp derp then there would be no loot to grind derp! You could just trade for the BiS item and be done with it until you Mastercraft!11!