I leveled a WW Barb to 100- My journey, and why I feel scammed

I started my journey to level 100 on June 1st as a WW barbarian- my all time favorite class in the franchise. For the first ~60 levels, my gameplay experience largely consisted of hitting demons with a pool noodle 5+ times with the hope of being able to whirlwind for 1 or 2 seconds and deal some damage.

As I engaged in these pillow fights, I watched my 3 buddies (2 twisting blade rogues and an Ice Shard Sorc) tear through groups of enemies with ease. But I was not discouraged- I knew going in Whirlwind would take time to come online, and that without gear it was going to be a struggle. The endgame would be my time to shine.

Around level 60, I made a breakthrough- the fabled ‘Bold Chieftains’ aspect finally dropped. I quickly put it on an ancestral ring that had rolled quite well, and my gameplay experience was immediately changed for the better. As I started to carve through mobs with sustained whirlwind’s, I was confident that my metamorphasis into a endgame powerhouse had begun. I went to sleep that morning with dreams of emoting on Uber Lilith’s Corpse.

The next day, it was apparent that something was wrong. My shout uptime was significantly worse than the day before, and thus my resource generation and survivability took a significant hit. As I looked through my equipped gear, I noticed that my Bold Chieftain’s aspect, which I had been so excited to find just the day before, had been nerfed by 50 PERCENT. I had logged on prepared to continue my ascent to endgame godhood, and was greeted with a spinning heel kick to the nuts.

It was at this time that I realized that the "Shout Cooldown Reduction’ roll on gear I had searching for had proven to be so elusive because it had been removed from the game entirely. I also realized that the almighty Unique Item “Gohr’s Devastating Grips” had been nerfed by roughly 75 percent.

Although I feared my build may be dead, I pressed on. I found Gohr’s later that day and it felt decent against trash mobs at least, and as I progressed through my paragon board, my character started to feel good again overall. At level 66, I found an item power 805 2h axe with Crit dmg, Vuln dmg, Core Skill dmg, and Strength. I decided to temporarily abandon my plans to use a 2h sword, as the Axe was lightyears better than any sword I had found. (Note: I ended up using this Axe through level 100 and beyond- finally finding an upgrade today).

As pressed on toward level 100 with my friends, one of my buddies said he found an excellent leveling dungeon named “Champion’s Demise”. Running this dungeon was without a doubt the most fun I had from a gameplay perspective up to that point- the density allowed me to keep my fury levels high, and I enjoyed the feeling of tearing through my lane with ease. Apparently, this dungeon had been nerfed just before we discovered it, but it still trounced the EXP we were getting in tier 30-40 nightmare dungeons, so we kept grinding.

By level 85, my build from a gear perspective was nearly complete. I had perfectly rolled aspects in every slot- and a Rage of Harrogath, Temerity, and Gohr’s with perfect rolls on the unique aspects. I saw a youtube thrash Uber Lilith with Whirlwind, and was relieved that my dream of conquering the game’s ultimate challenges was still realistic.

Of course, this youtuber’s display of dominance resulted in 2 crucial aspects being disabled for several days. It turns out- they were bugged, and were allowing WW’s damage to scale infinitely as long as it was maintained.

I understood the need for this to be corrected, but I found it rather disturbing that Blizzard had been spamming the nerf hammer on the barbarian’s shout uptime- which essentially nerfed every barb class, while somehow failing to notice that the ‘Edgemaster’s’ and ‘Berserk Ripping’ were bugged and scaling well beyond the intended cap.

I later learned this issue had been discovered during the endgame beta, and reported to Blizzard. I suspect Blizzard didn’t actually read any of the feedback from these testers, but rather filtered the contents of the feedback to find the most commonly used keywords/phrases, thus they failed to notice it.

It seemed logical to me at that point that Blizzard would revert/re-adjust at least some of the massive nerfs they had previously delivered (particularly to shouts), seeing as they had been calculated in complete ignorance of a infite damage scaling bug. Alas, logic isn’t much of a factor in Blizzard’s balancing decisions, and these nerfs remained untouched.

I continued leveling toward 100, alternating between sacrficing EXP by leveling my gems in Nightmare dungeons, and sacrificing progress on my gems by leveling in Champion’s Demise, Ruins of Eridu, and Uldur’s Cave. I was running Uldur’s Cave and was attacked by the butcher. I killed him within 5 seconds, and finally hit level 100. Now it was time to see what the build I had worked so hard on was capable of.

I decided to push nightmare dungeons first- it became apparent around tier 70 that tier 100 was not going to happen. You see, at these tiers, I needed to drop some offensive aspects in order to survive even a single hit from most enemies. This resulted in WW dealing pool noodle damage, and the increase in survivability did little to offset the fact that I now had to engage each mob at point blank range for a longer period of time. My defeat was resounding either way in most instances.

I pivoted to Uber Lilith- and grinded away learning the fight. I haven’t been able to get her past 50 percent health in the first fight. The reality is, the fight is going to take at least 20 minutes, thus requiring a ton of perfect dodges on her 1 hit KO wave attacks. This is theoretically achievable. However, because the game’s servers perform like they are hosted in a remote region of the Congo, desync often occurs. Despite often being inconsequential in most content, this desync makes the Lilith fight infurating, because it makes the hitboxes and timing feel very inconsistent. In my 100+ attempts at this fight with WW, I’ve likely done more damage to my keyboard from slamming it in anger than I have to Lilith.

My best option at this point is to respec to HOTA- which I don’t enjoy nearly as much. At one point in time, I had saved quite a few HOTA aspects that rolled well Just in case I ever decided to switch. I eventually got rid of these to free up space because I didn’t feel like making a bunch of Mule characters to store items I wasn’t using for my build. Great.

By the time I farm up the gear to have an optimal HOTA build, it will likely be nerfed to F tier. And even now, the HOTA barb still pales in DPS to every other classes best DPS build, at least in PVE. In PVP, this class one hits literally everything, and is absurdly broken.

When I started, I thought I was investing in a class/build that I would be able to conquer the game’s toughest challenges with- Instead I ended up with with a WW Barb that excels at speedfarming sh@tty items that require level 100 and nothing else, that can respec into an ‘S’ tier PVP Griefing HOTA build. Yay.

At this point I’m not 100 percent certain I will stick around for season 1. I’m not interested in going through the tedious process of farming renown and leveling to 100 again just to have my build get nerfed to smitherines because saltyTbagz69 discovered a broken mechanic and killed the seasonal boss in 3 seconds.

TL;DR I followed a rainbow toward what I thought was a pot of gold, but by the time I reached the end, the pot of gold had morphed into a cauldron of cow maneur.

148 Likes

This is the only important part anyone needs to know from the novel.

29 Likes

I think if you’re beyond lvl 85+ or so, you’ll understand where this sentiment is coming from. If you’re below lvl 70, you probably are enjoying yourself.

13 Likes

Bravo :clap: :clap:

This is the best post on the forums

14 Likes

Just seeing the title of the post…

You scammed yourself out of a better gameplay experience…Since you just 1 hit kill everything in the game…

Why would you want to hold right click through the whole game and do absolutely nothing but spin and shout :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 shot gameplay is boring enough, let alone just holding right click

5 Likes

TLDR

Talk more about that Ice shards guy, he sounds like a cool dude

5 Likes

Translation: Please poop in my mouth daddy Blizzard, I can’t stand the thought of constructive criticism and have no ability to laugh at a hilarious post that outlines some of the real flaws we have seen to this point.

To the OP - you bring up some great points and I appreciate the laugh as well. Hopefully Blizzard makes some adjustments in their fixes in the future, because to this point every “hotfix” has actually been an orbital nuke of a nerf.

18 Likes

To be completely honest, none of these personal blog posts about people’s disappointments and how they’re quitting have any important parts. But, cool that they get to vent and tell their own little personal stories, I guess.

6 Likes

I’m 90 on my sorc. The game is mid and boring. I’ve decided earlier today I’m breaking until season 1 and to be very honest, probably going to uninstall instead.

5 Likes

This was my experience as well. Iv left my barb at level 68 and just stopped playing because it is simply not fun. Any talks about the build is just meant with “Lol don’t just follow a build guide then” thing is just like you WW/Cyclone/Spinny Boy is always my first build I play in any ARPG. The moving and killing aspect of the build has always been so fun for me.

This carbot video captures the WW experience perfectly.

Now Im just sitting here hoping that Blizzard comes out with some crazy patch notes for season 1 to save this game.

5 Likes

Thats your issue,Enjoying 1shot gameplay and whirlwind combined.
Sitting there holding right click forever is boring anyways.

Incorporate rend and ground stomp into your build.

So sick of people expecting to be able to just hold right click through a game whirlwind is the worst skill in all arpgs when you just hold it and do nothing else.

5 Likes

Can survive the butcher but not a KFC double down. 10/10 for realism.

1 Like

Weird because I can fire up PoE with a Cyclone build or LE with a Warpath build and have tons of fun.

Just because YOU don’t enjoy 1 button builds does not mean others don’t enjoy it.

Well take that up with Blizzard, WW has been a part of Diablo since the start. Hell its even a solid build in the game you all can’t seem to stop praising as the best ARPG ever.

15 Likes

Tell me you can’t take a piss without getting your socks wet without telling me you can’t take a piss without getting your socks wet. Actual good players understand there is WAY more to whirlwind that holding right click. Movement, timing, engagement…there is so much nuance to the build, especially in PvP and higher tier content. To say it simply comes down to holding right click when there are literally 3 shout cooldowns to manage and challenging resource generation issues to tackle. You are clueless about WW barbs.

5 Likes

Wow you wrote an essay here.

Hi fellow ww barb. I guess you don’t like it… okay reroll in the season?

1 Like

Is this a cryptic way of telling us you managed to find the hidden cow level?

2 Likes

I mean, Blizzard put it in the game for people to use. Just cuz you don’t do those types of builds doesn’t mean you get to say “deal with it” to other players that do.

Super dense comment dude

No one cares about what your build is when they “hotfix” it and you’d think the community could rally behind the mindset of “it could happen to any build” but, you’d rather throw crap around the room instead.

7 Likes

Ive never called any game the best arpg ever, ESPECIALLY not diablo 4 lmfao.

Yeah your right take it up with blizzard.

I am low IQ and struggle to word things together or explain what i mean um…

I played WW in D3, I enjoyed it when i had to earn the power to be able to just spin to win but in diablo 4 it seems like the power to spin2win and 1shot everything is just given to you…

So for me personally i dont like whirlwind in diablo 4, maybe that sounds better and less toxic?

1 Like

So you just confirmed you have NEVER touched WW in D4 because that is simply not the case.

4 Likes

Can confirm this is never the case until uber lategame when you’re running significantly easy dungeons