How to compare new item with a Masterworked item?

After opinions on how people are comparing newly aquired items with their current masterworked item, to see if it may have better stats?

I am currently using a speadsheet where I have recorded the base vale of each stat, but it would really be great if that base stat value could be displayed on the item after its masterworked, especially when doing a compare of two items.

Any ideas?

5 Likes
  • Reworked item stat comparisons to be more intuitive when the same stat appears on an item multiple times, which most often occurs with tempered items.

Developer’s Note: Previously, if you compared an item’s stats and it had a value appear twice (such as Cooldown Reduction,) it would display those two different values individually. We have now updated this to combine those individual values to only display one value, making it easier to compare stats across items.

In the current patch notes for the May 28th patch.

I read this as different to what I am after.

If you have Max Life on you Helm as a native stat, and also have Max Life as a Tempered Stat, when you compare a new item, it shows the difference between the native on the new item and the Tempered version on the current items.

This fix is to resolve that issue.

What I want to see is the real Base Value of the stat appear on the MAsterwoked Item so I can compare the non Masterworked Item.

1 Like

Ooh I gotcha, sadly that isn’t in the game, wish it was. I think you’ve already found the best solution to your problem which is keeping a spreadsheet. Maybe they’ll add this functionality in later, perhaps by holding a hotkey of some sort it’ll show you the base values without the added Masterworking bonuses.

4 Likes

It would be a nice QoL change to add a “compare to original” feature. So far it’s not been a huge issue for me though as I’m only masterworking items with a greater affix so if I replace that it’ll probably be with the same greater affix.

With that I’m also probably replacing it with a stat I was trying to get but couldn’t. For example I got stuck with a neck with health per second which was useless. The neck I had had 40% armor so replacing it was hard without tanking my armor. When I finally found a neck with the same GA on armor but had +pit fighter (DMG % increase passive) it was a no brainer.

1 Like

Most of my pieces have 3 prefered stats but only a few have 1 GA (only found one with 2 GA and of course it got bricked), and most of the roles are midling, so need to compare those I find to see if the roles may be better.

There is a setting you can turn on so that if you have an item that has a value you can see where that value sat in the range for that item power level. What we tend to call a low-roll or a high-roll.

We know that masterworking adds 5% each step + a 25% for a random affix.

so a low-roll will still be a low-roll when compared to the range of possibilities.

The setting is found in-game under /options/gameplay/ and tick the Advance Tooltip Compare and Advance Tooltip Information.

You’ll see value ranges in brackets when you click on an item. On PC, you hit the shift key to show both item and equipped item side by side. You can eyeball the difference and get a rough idea of a how a value compares between a masterworked item and a newly found one.

Without a more advanced comparison, the best you can probably do is compare the stat ranges, rather than comparing the actual number, and see where the number sits in the stat range.

Assuming both items you’re comparing are 925, you know that the potential range for the base item is the same. So if the new item is a max roll (or at least, the percentage within the range is higher) then you know it’s ‘better’ (for that particular stat).

Example with simplified imaginary numbers, let’s say you have two items of the same type:

• masterworked piece or armor with 750 life, and the min/max listed is 500-1000.
  • a regular item of the same type which has 500 life, but the stat range is 250-500.

You can see that, even though the masterworked item has a higher life value, the base item is only an average roll, right in the middle of the stat range. Whereas the new base item is a max roll for that stat, meaning that if you mastework it to the same level, the new value will be higher.

It gets a bit harder to tell with real examples of course, but you can figure it if you’re not sure.

And yes, as others have said, make sure you have advanced tooltips turned on. It never occurred to me that anyone wouldn’t. :laughing:

It really should be the default setting.

2 Likes

Without any method, this would be adequate. As I do have spreadsheet I have no issues doing the compare, but having it native to the UI would make it much simpler.

1 Like

Yes, totally needed. I cannot understand how so obvious QoL stuff is missed.

1 Like

Because the devs don’t play the game very much, if at all.

2 Likes