GPU with high temperature and power

I didn’t say the patch fixed anything. I said I fixed part of the problem I was having. Still have the in town problem but out of town problem was fine after I figured it out. What happened to me is the game turned Nvidia Reflex back on. I had shut it off at launch as it drives your system harder for really no gain. Turning it back off solved my problem of heat and my fans running like crazy everywhere. Now I am back to fans are running like crazy just in town.

1 Like

just commenting here so I can follow progress on the issue again. I checked into the old thread to find it closed :frowning:

2 Likes

Same here… i9 12900k and RTX 3090
When I was in dungeons everything looks fine I mean RPM on my graphics card and temp. When I finish it and goes to vendor to sell items then Voltage from 240 jump in to 340, temp from 56 jump to 65 and RMP from 1200-1300 goes to 2900 I said to myself what the hell is going on… Jet flying by my house or what? Then I realize the problem is here… I dont know what Blizzard is doing but if they want to brick someones hardware they are on the good way. I think I’ll stop playing this technical crap until they fix this problem

I hope some Dev will answer in this topic because playing this game in this way is dangerous for our hardware

Its a know problem and a lot of people have it. Blizzard dont confirm it for some reason. They closed few posts with thousands of views and comments.

I can basically run Ultra no issue, steady temp, steady FPS but when I open some 2 pixel inventory tab the machine acts like its put on a stress test on top of minin crypto and rendering an iceberg.

They will tell you the game cannot break your hardware, which is true, but it can put it to work in an excessive way, which overtime will leave its mark. A working hardware have its build in protections, which for example is the reason i get thrown out of the game when the temp reaches 98, this happens around 3 minutes of open inventory, otherwise i have steady 52 at all times and settings.

They will probably fix it in time, but until then consider not risking it.

1 Like

17 days and we are still the same, no response from Blizzard.
Would they already discover how to turn on the computer?

Because it’s a ridiculous complaint. Just like the rtx 3050 can’t deliver 144fps in 4k. All these parameters like fps, fan speed, noise, heat dissipation, etc all depend on your hardware and what mode and conditions it is running in. It doesn’t depend on the game, it depends on you.

Here’s an answer that was given a long time ago. All you can ask them why such a large load, and the answer is that the game has settings that you can reduce to get the desired result.

I foresee a complaint of incompetence.
If you think they are so incompetent that they can’t find this phenomenon. Then it shouldn’t surprise you that the rest of the staff can’t find your forum post. Maybe they can’t find their workplace at all and are just getting paid for nothing.

Any news here? Or do we keep waiting another two months?

If you paid a real developer maybe they could fix it, just think about it.

they are too busy delivering us same old same old in season 2
and yes I doubt they have many skilled developers who could look into that issues…
they already moved onto other things maybe. Now its just some game designers and script-kiddies creating boring content.

1 Like

They will release D5 and we will still be here waiting for a response from Blizzard.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that even now in patch 1.1.3, I still get random freeze/crashes that require me to ‘kill’ my PC because it basically renders my entire PC unusable.

First it fried my other HDD, now I think my GFX (3060 Ti) is on its last leg.

On top of that, they announced that they’re charging for a yearly expansion.

This game is ridiculously stupid, whoever is in charge of the project, I never want to buy another Diablo product, or Blizzard for that matter ever again.

1 Like

Still no response on this from the devs. Fix your game before working on expansions to it.

1 Like

I had this problem with druid and now necro, 3070 normally runs at 60-65C during gameplay, then spikes up to 83-85C and whenever I am at blacksmith or looking at inventory and also in the main loading screen.

It’s like I have a timer on looking at my loot and it doesn’t feel good. I stopped playing for past month or so and came back to still see that this is a problem… It’s definitely not working as intended…

1 Like

Just thought I would chime in here on this too. AMD 6900xt and have the same issues as the above posts. Card goes nuts in menus but is fine else where.

I am having same issues…

Cpu: Ryzen 7600x
Gpu: nvidea 2080 super

All drivers are fully up to date, and have been manually updated atleast once per week.
Windows 11 is also fully up to date (i work in security, so my systems gets updated much more often than regular users)

I fear my pc will burn as it constantly is running around 83 degrees even on lowest of lowest settings (to try and do something) i have also limited my fps to 90 and while that helped a little (still running at 83 when i open any vendor, or my character sheet) i still have issues…

I can see that when i load the game it instantly fills up and uses all 8gb of dedicated vram, never touching the shared vram space. But it constantly sits firmly on those 8gb which seems to point to a rather obvious memory leak, as it should not need a constant 8gb unless i was running on higher settings.

Bear in mind that i didnt just take the “low” setting in game, i custom changed ALL settings to the lowest i could, including on my gfx card settings… On my pc i should be able to atleast run on medium settings without ever having to wonder if my pc is gonna break…

This is normal. In fact, its better since the last couple of updates than it used to be. But its not a leak.

As to the issue in general, this game is quite taxing on hardware.

Do you monitor the video card temps with something like HWMonitor? What you really need to watch is the VRAM temps. If the GPU is hitting 83, that is the throttle point for some cards.

I would suggest the following:

Firstly, shut down and remove the side panel to get to the interior and look at your dust levels. You may want to gently blow out the video card cooler and fans. PLEASE NOTE. Do not let the fans spin with air! You can gently hold them from turning while blowing out the dust. Make sure your cables are connected good and the card is fully seated while examining it.

Next, if the dust level is good or the card and PC is clean, then I suggest downloading MSI Afterburner. It works on all makes and models of cards and offers tools to do a few things, the biggest here is changing the cooling fan curve. You really need to make it more aggressive in cooling your card. It doesn’t have to be crazy changed, but having it more aggressive will force it to cool more and sooner.

The problem with a lot of these cards, is the fan speeds is governed by the temp of the GPU, when in fact the hotspot and VRAM temps are often much higher and in the case with this game, the VRAM can be taxed and heated faster than the GPU which may mean the fans aren’t running enough to cool them well. Hence the adjustment to the curve.

I run HWMonitor to view those VRAM temps. I have an MSI 3070Ti here. I bought it blind and used on eBay and its first game was Diablo IV. I had gotten it right on June 2nd. lol

Default out of the box it would run 65/80 with GPU/VRAM temps. I adjusted the curve the next day. These days, it runs around 55/68 and its now supporting a 1440p on Ultra @100FPS, where as before it was running on less screen and high settings.

So the combination of setting changes, curve adjustment and frankly some game patches have made the game run better and cooler, at least for me.

I do apreciate your workaround, and i will take a look at adjusting the fans further. However… it shouldnt be needed, which is my point.

If we look at the definition of a memory leak:
“In computer science, a memory leak is a type of resource leak that occurs when a computer program incorrectly manages memory allocations in a way that memory which is no longer needed is not released. A memory leak may also happen when an object is stored in memory but cannot be accessed by the running code.“

I would argue that the issue of it filling up the memory quickly and never releasing it, points to a very textbook case of memory leak, wouldnt you agree? Or have you seen it release the memory again after you made the adjustments?

Other games i have played have never had this issue, it should never load more into vram than is needed, and should release it again when no longer needed (especially when we have so many loadingscreens, which is where new objects should be loaded into memory and old ones released)

The problem is that this game loads a LOT of assets into VRAM very quickly. It then will stay near max, especially on 8GB cards. But here’s the funny. It works slightly more efficiently with lower end cards and doesn’t always fill the VRAM on high end cards. In the beginning it would fill every card pretty much, but as they keep working the problem it has gotten better. My 3070 Ti 8GB card will bounce between 7200-7900MB of use most of the time.

The problem really kicks in if the system doesn’t perform well enough to move files into and out of the VRAM from RAM or the game’s drive. This is when you get stuttering, freezing and similar. (essentially FPS and performance loss, not crashes)

But to call it a leak is a common mistake. If it were leaking, it would simply fill up and crash eventually. I have not observed this behavior and have tested on 4 different systems, 2 desktops, 2 laptops and both Intel and AMD.

The game is a hog, certainly, but from my experience, if it has an actual memory leak its not very obvious.

Good luck with this garbage game, I don’t waste any more time with these incompetents who in six months are not able to fix a problem.

Please don’t exaggerate. Its only been 4 months since launch.

It is awesome how this problem hinders thousands of people who would actually want to play the game on doing it. and blizzard is not acknowledging this one…if i could, i would take my money back…

btw i have a 10700k with a 3080ti running. every game runs smooth af.