Game is completely unplayable at night

Just as the title says, every single night around the 6:30 EST time period the game becomes a complete lagfest. My latency sits around 200 and spikes constantly to 3000+ MS in the open world and even inside dungeons.

I have heard this has been a problem for a long time and I was hoping Blizzard would have fixed this MS problem by now but it doesn’t seem like they have fixed it nor do they care too at this point.

I really really want to enjoy this game and play as much as I did on release and through Season 1 but making the game completely unplayable past 6:30PM EST is just not feasible for people who have to work all day. Genuinely tired of this garbage night after night.

3 Likes

So not to state the obvious, but if you’re on a Cable ISP this is typical depending on how congested it gets later at night. Considering you’re one of the only people to complain about this problem at this specific time, I’m almost certain it’s your ISP and not Blizzards servers, or a lot more people would be on these forums.

Would highly recommend doing a traceroute to the server you connect to, at this specific time, and figuring out where the problem is. Can almost guarantee you’re getting packet loss at a particular repeater due to high traffic going through it at that time. More then likely a repeater that’s close to you due to the specific time frame.

5 Likes

I have not experienced this.

I’m on Fiber 500 Mbps up and 500 Mbps down. Just ran an Ookla Speed test and it’s 481.05 download and 480.46 Upload speed and 5 MS in the speed test.

I have zero issue on any other game at this time. I play WoW, I play Overwatch, I play Apex, I play Zombies on CoD. I legit play every other game and don’t have the kind of latency I do in Diablo 4. D4 is the only game I experience consistent lag around the afternoon and evening hours.

1 Like

Have you tried a windows update? Serious suggestion because it’s Tuesday.

Yea, then you’re still hitting a repeater somewhere that’s screwing up your connection to the server, and it’s not the server itself.

Follow these instructions, run the test, and find out what’s happening.

Different servers for those games with different locations. Think of it this way, you use a different road to get to work then you do to get to the store or your parents house or your friends house etc. Unfortunately there’s road construction on your way to your parents house, and instead of going around it, you’re stuck in a traffic jam. This is what your ISP is doing. It’s using the road it’s always used, regardless if there’s a problem.

4 Likes

Since I’m East Coast South Carolina I’m guessing I’d need to pathping to Central D4 servers since they don’t seem to have an East Coast.

Definitely Central for you so the: 34.170.230.40 IP

1 Like

Alright, I’m running the pathping now on the Central Server. I’ll probably run a tracert as well on the central IP as well.

Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 DESKTOP
1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% [Omitted IP]
2 2ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% [Omitted IP]
3 3ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 209.170.69.52
4 20ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% .ash-b3-link.ip.twelve99.net [209.170.69.49]
5 21ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% .rest-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.125.38]
6 21ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% .ash-b2-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.123.123]
7 44ms 5/ 100 = 5% 0/ 100 = 0% .google-ic-373139.ip.twelve99-cust.net

According to that your connection should actually be fine. That 5% isn’t a big deal. More or less concerned with consistency now. The traceroute show anything by chance?

So everything looks normal until that last one then I get all these Request Timed out etc

1 * <1 ms <1 ms [Omitted because home PC]
2 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms [Omitted as well]
3 3 ms 4 ms 3 ms 209.170.69.52
4 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms .ash-b3-link.ip.twelve99.net [209.170.69.49]
5 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms .rest-bb1-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.125.38]
6 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms .ash-b2-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.123.123]
7 52 ms 49 ms 51 ms .google-ic-373139.ip.twelve99-cust.net [62.115.145.225]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.

Yea that’s normal, it only took you 7 hops to actually get to the server, which is a good thing. You want to omit the 2nd IP address btw, 1st one is literally your router’s IP address for your actual PC and it’s almost always a 192.168.whatever. 2nd one is your actual IP from your modem.

2 Likes

Yea so I’m not sure why my ping is sky rocketing to 3000ms consistently. It happens literally every night. I’m wondering if it’s an East Coast problem and people in Central and West Coast aren’t experiencing this issue since they are directly near the servers.

Also it seems like the tracert and the pathping line up in consistency as far as MS is concerned. I’ll try rerunning both and see if the results change.

How much you pay for internet?

Like 70 dollars a month.

Call’em and complain. Even if you are in the wrong. You will get free stuff. Tell them things like “My neighbor has the same internet with no problems.” threaten them and say you are going to competitors and what not

I don’t think it’s my internet though. Looking at the above tracert info and pathping they seem normal apparently. Or at least nothing glaringly out of the ordinary is shown.

Although I might use this as some ammunition to lower my price lol. But if they asked for those two text files (tracert and pathping) they’d call bullsh** on me lol.

At the moment yes, give me a few mins, doin somethin, we’ll make a batch file you can make to have a continuous run when you do hit spikes.

1 Like

And here I play from a 10MB DSL line, 0 issues with latency ever. In like any game.

I can play from my Starlink as well, but that does introduce latency and can drop you occasionally if it has anything blocking the dish. And now that our trees here have finally put out leaves, that’s a possibility. (I live in the woods in the very high north of Michigan)

Which is why I have the DSL line as my preferred gaming connection. :smiley:

In a civil & advanced society, this suggestion would be mildly repugnant… but this is America, and I concur this is appropriate behavior here. Just be nice to the person you’re talking to, it’s not about them - and everyone in the chain understands this is how the business is run.

Word of advice from experience: if the guy tells you they’re sending you the latest router free of charge for your troubles, follow up on that within a few days. Don’t wait 10 months, all trace of it will get scrubbed.