Early Patch Notes or PTR is a MUST

I am still not understanding why they don’t release patch notes weeks in advance or do a PTR. It’s a good way to get proper feedback ahead of time in order to make last minute adjustments so you can release the best patch possible.

1 Like

I would presume that they are doing internal testing. As to your other point, they do not want X has not been fixed, Y is not included, etc. because that is not helpful.

Similarly, PTR would give people plenty of time to come up with exploits that would have to be fixed after the fact. Look at how many OP builds came out before release Lightning Shredder was weeks after release and was done because so many people were hating on the Druid.

They are a small indie company still learning the ropes, just ask Rod.

If I remember, they said they’d release patch notes the tuesday before a stream…am I remembering this correctly? Granted, that’s not a huge amount of time but it’s better than what they had done previously.

So basically you are saying the community is not to be trusted?

People not exposing bugs and exploits for personal gain as they find them is a pretty bad thing to do.

This stuff tends to happen when there is competition involved and leaderboards havent startted up yet so i dont think it will be as bad as a problem as you think it will be.

Should be similar to d3s ptr in form and function.

Definitely not early enough.

I prefer early patch notes also, and sometimes they change or update them before release and gives us an idea of how something is trending on the testing (ptr or not).

1 Like

I think feedback from those actually PLAYING the game is an absolute must to maintain a healthy game life.

i agree about the need for a ptr, at least in the future. i mean really, leave out the quests and stuff but id also say that its quite vital to have the option to test new items and see if there are bugs.

doesnt even have to be a long time for the ptr. 1-2 weeks are more than enough

1 Like

I agree, in D3, there were always class champions that were working on mechanics and pointing out bugs to the devs.

That type of feedback I don’t see so much anymore so it’s kind of sad. Not sure how they get it now outside of internal testing which if it isn’t strong enough or has enough power, will characteristically miss stuff. (bugs/exploits).

They had season 2 done before the game launched

I’m sure they have at least 1 year of seasons in production at any given time.

So that makes sense.

Expac is probably almost done also if it’s going to be released next year around April.

EDIT:
Content wise it may have been done, but the patches will have the QOL and some fixes that people are asking for (crit/vuln/overpower rework).

I actually read that the first expansion was mostly done somewhere stated by an actual staff member.

2 reasons likely:

They don’t want your input

and

they are probably still working on it till they decided to launch.

I agree with you, but the question is why wouldn’t they want our input? The input is more about testing for bugs and exploits - I guess it is possible that their changes have little to no room for bugs and exploits and they can model out all the information they need from an AI.

And I’m not saying they don’t have valid reasons, but would be interesting to know.

KEKW

“internal testing”

LMAO

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1 Like

Don’t discount AI?

Boot up 1500 AI instances playing the game, collect data. Analyze.

As a developer myself (not a game dev), even if we had patch notes done internally, we would never post them before in case things needed to be omitted last minute.

We would take feedback on what is launched to the public after the fact. And we may validate the scope items to be worked on for the next patch, when we took the feedback.
But listing “these are being launched weeks in advance” was not something we did. I would not even agree to it unless the work was being stopped. And like I said time is short almost always, so working up to the last minute is not out of the ordinary.

ahh gotcha, makes sense, can’t catch your chickens before they hatch.

You know the PTR on D3, they announced all the changes, and then they ask the players to test.

Then they adjust the changes, and retest (sometimes), or just release an updated set of patch notes. Of course they are explained:

They got 9k ppl working there. They have enough testers in theory. Maybe they are afraid to give honest feedback? Afraid to offend the hanchos?