Diablo 4 Freezes while playing

Greetings,

The game appears to be freezing at any point whenever I switch locations, teleport, open inventory, open skill board or paragon board, open shop or any menu at all. The freezes will consist for about 10 seconds to 3 minutes, you just really can’t tell.

My PC specs are:

CPU: AMD 5 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

I have two SSDs that I have been switching the installation of the game just to check if the issue is going to get fixed but the issue persists.

I have also tried several fixes that people have been suggesting without any remedy.

I want to be able to play the game but it is nearly impossible, helltides are literally hell for me since im constantly freezing and dying and losing half my cinders.

I have no issues with any other game, I have tried a few new games that require a high-end PC to be able to play but nothing comes with this kind of issue.

Also note that, I have been dealing with this issue since the release of the game and nothing has been fixed yet.

I would appreciate if someone can address this issue properly since I can see that there are a lot of people that are experiencing the same freezes with the same conditions.

We have purchased the game and we are customers, we need help.

2 Likes
1 Like

Then purchase a proper system to play D4.
Don’t blame the game when you are using a sub par system:

or just lower your graphics settings so the game is playable on your rig.
Just because you can play some games well on your rig, doesn’t mean ALL games will perform the same.

I had this issue. And two things fixed it for me. (Apart from the obvious updating drivers,etc.)

1. Make sure you have the high resolution assets installed regardless of the Texture Quality option in-game. High/Ultra
  2. Make sure you set up a page file on your system on the other SSD drive where the game is not installed. Example:
  • Right-click System → Properties → Advanced System Settings.
  • Under Advanced tab - Performance click Settings…
  • Advanced tab, Virtual Memory section click Change.

Now make sure you have more than 32Gb open on the target SSD before you set the following parameters:

• On your OS boot drive (normally C:), set the range as 2048-2048
  • On the target SSD (where the game is not installed) set another custom size range of 32768-32768
  • Click on Set, and reboot.

That should be it. From what I can gather the game uses the swapfile a whole bunch and if it’s not set up right you will run into this “stutter” problem with menus,etc.

Let me know if it works for you.

2 Likes

Simply disguisting reply. The game costs 60, should I have been also purchasing a new system just to play the game? As I mentioned everything else runs properly besides d4. I also use low settings and furthermore I have tried lowering my settings to the lowest possible. I do not have an FPS issue, the game keeps freezing.

3 Likes

Sounds normal for a blizzard game.

1 Like

I use alienware, I can play games that can fly with HD quality, but STO and Diablo 4 tend to freeze up, lag and crash on me too! SO I figure its the game too! DOnt be so quick to stomp on someone before support can work with them and have a chance to resolve the issue.

2 Likes

Hi,

I do have identical problems … It was not perfect before the release and crashed from time to time. but now every time I enter the Game in the moment I move or just open the Map I get a black screen, and my PC is rebooting. I already installed Windows from scratch. Tested any Graphics driver even beta … nothing is solving the issue. (and no it is not the Hardware, ALL other games are working fine for hours!! D4 is the only on that is crashing my PC!

My PC specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
RAM: 64 GB

@Witblitz; I’ll give your proposal a try … Is the software really that bad in handling Memmory?

try turn off the cross platform communication.

also, try turn on and set virtual memory at least equivalent to your onboard RAM.

I tested the swapfile idea and it is not solving the issue. (and tbh, it is not related to the Cach of the PC). The crash evvery time is happeing once new Visual elements are loded… e.g. Opening the map after start. Teleporting to a dungeon, or back to city. GPU and PC are not out of memmroy and it can not be disk performacne (id do have a Samsung SSD 980 pro). On top of that I was able reproducing it by opeing the Map multiple times.

AND before nice tips are given… I verifyed the games files twice; Used fresh installed Windows; on another PC with a smaller CPU but same GPU it is wokring fine too. And NO it is not an Hardware issue. WOW, and all other AAA Games running flawless!!!

I turned off the cross platform communication → no change

It’s a problem with the game. It has nothing to do with the system they are running on.

2 Likes

If that were true, then everyone would have the issue, or everyone with an identical setup.

I experienced some rubber banding last night, but no crashing. It is something with their system more than likely. Posting in tech support will allow people to help troubleshoot the issue to see where the problem is.

And to answer a question from the OP: I always do two things before purchasing a game - if there is one I run the benchmark. If not I check on a can my pc run this site to make sure I am within specs.

I had no problems with d4 ever pre s5.

In s5 I see a lot of freezes.

Make out of this information what you want.

I have the issue happening randomly as a few days ago.

I am just moving and all of a sudden… just stuck (walking) its almost like im on a mount hitting those invisa pebbles and invisa walls. Happens during the horde fights and some pit/nm boss fights.

My spec’s arent the greatest today but they are ddr5 64gb ram, i7, 3080 and 2 2tb ssd drives

using msi-z i see the following:
i7 12700k (Alder Lake)
motherboard - MSI Z690 Force
DDR5-4800 (2400 MHz) Quad channel 64Gb ram
NVIDIA RTX 3080 12gb ram (not sure why you think i need to upgrade my card - its not that old!) heh
disk drives are Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB

First time playing diablo? You need to update your gfx card homie.

I assume you guys have the High-Resolution Assets installed then? It seems that the problem might be that the game will reference to a high-res asset and when it can’t find it, will cause a lock/freeze regardless of your ingame texture setting.

1 Like

This is a problem with the game not your system. I doubt there is anything you can do to fix it.

I have this issue too and I have a much better system.

Other than contacting blizzards CS directly I don’t think you will get a response.

2 Likes

Hey I get some semi-frequent client crashes.
One thing I would say is look in your options and make sure the graphics settings are how you left them.

With every patch this dev team likes to turn on Ray Tracing as the default. And as someone who has explicity turned it off in the past, due to its poor implementation here, I find that very annoying. But it is what they do, instead of leaving things the way you had them.

I have a 3090ti, so not really a card that struggles. But like I said, check your settings and make sure they are what you remember setting them to, after every patch.

Beyond that I would say hard cap the FPS to 60, and background fps to 8, yes 8.
And then turn all your graphical settings to low, and slowly set them back to where you have them one by one. Once you know it can run without freezes, this will allow you to isolate the issue if it is in your Graphics settings. I would even say it may be narrowed down to the Clutter setting, Particle setting or the setting that specifically says it impacts how much video memeory is used (but that is speculation).

Also if you open Event Viewer in Windows look for errors from GameInput Service. This is an annoying change from MS that has a lot of issues, it can conflict with this game if it crashes. It used to be Xbox Game services for Windows that would struggle with Blizzard games so you would need to turn them off, now it seems it is this one.

Sorry if none of that helps, but these have worked for stabilizing the game for me by a lot.

1 Like

I experienced this last night. Completely closing the blizzard app and then restarting it seemed to work. Maybe my issue was a VPN one, but neither my bluestacks or the video I had streaming at the time had any issues.