Diablo 4 doesn't launch from battle.net launcher

This issue started about 2 days ago on the 21st.

The game does not launch from the battle.net launcher. I click “Play” and the launcher says “Playing Now” but the game does not load. When I check the task manager, sometimes the “Diablo 4 Retail” process shows up, sometimes it does not. When it does show up, I use “End Task” to kill the process to attempt another re-launch. In either case, the game never loads. I read else where in the forums that last friday the 16th, microsoft pushed a windows update that seems to have stopped the game from launching. As of now, the game is unplayable in my case.

Anyone else having this issue?

Drivers are updated, battle.net client is indicating it is up to date as well.

4 Likes

Same with me. Literately two days ago also. Is there a way we can report this ?

Blizzard says to post here in the bug report forum. But I’m not sure if its a good idea to make another thread about it. Commenting/posting here will peobably help bring it their attnetion

As a new discovery:

What is likely appearing as the game not loading, is now the games just takes a really long time to load. I launched the game, and then just waited. Almost 20 minutes later the game finally loaded and is playable. But whatever is causing the really long load time is a mystery. It did seem to start after the Feb 16th windows update. In other threads here on the forum, people reported that waiting for the game to load worked, restarting the computer got the game to re-launch once. I guess for now, click the “Play” button in the battle.net launcher and go make yourself a sandwich or something. Eventually the game will load. Obviously this is not anywhere near ideal, so hopefully Blizzard looks into this.

3 Likes

Same issue for me. I’ve tried every fix that’s been posted for similar issues but none have worked. Guess I’ll wait for the next patch.

Having exactly the same issue here, only way to get it to launch right away is to restart the machine, open bnet & launch Diablo straight away. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Try disabling your antivirus. I had this problem near the end of Season 2 and disabling my antivirus fixed it.

Follow up in case anybody is still having this issue: I let the computer sit for several minutes after hitting play (Between 5-10, on an SSD) and the game eventually opened. It took way too long, but it did eventually open.

Yep, I’m having exactly the same issue.

1 Like

For me if I start from a fresh reboot it pops open like there are new issues, saying that if you log to desktop you have the problem again. Wait forever or reboot and log in.

1 Like

I discovered that it takes approximately 15 minutes (yes I timed it) to launch from battle net app. If I’m needing to log on immediately I have to restart my pc. Game doesn’t launch immediately if I boot up pc from shutdown. For me, this delay started around mid-Feb I believe.

1 Like

Same as everyone else here, it’s something to do with my antivirus. Disabling it lets the game launch immediately, otherwise it takes about 5 minutes to launch after clicking play.

I’ve had this game since launch, same PC, same AV, it never occurred to me before but I also hadn’t played since season 2.

1 Like

Same issue glad to see the $650 million dollars are going to good use. Thanks Blizzard $100 dollar plus game that i cant play.

1 Like

Try this:
Go to D4 Folder → go to file named dstorage.dll → rclick Rename to(whatever…I used this) dstorageold.dll - I added “old” to it as was suggested in a video.

I was having launch issues and lots of game crashes and freezing which I’d never experienced before.
Maybe it will work, maybe not but worth a shot.

1 Like

*EDIT*
i turned of my antivirus (AVG) and Diablo 4 runs again

I’m having the issue as everyone else. In my case I only have windows defender on my computer so I can’t say that’s the root cause of me having this problem.

Same here, using AVAST One, Turned off the AVAST shields control for 10 minutes and it loaded instantly, before that it was over 15mins with no game loading.
The first play, the shield control came back on before the intro had finished playing out and it closed the game.
No other game I own has this issue.

15+ mins and no start up… tried uninstall, updating drivers, deleting dstorage.dll … nothing works…

looks like I won’t be doing the current season…

Same problem. I even tried to re-install the game. no luck. deleting the DLLs also did not work. Is anyone from support here to resolve this?

Love how there has been no Blizz reply… really frustrating…
For reference the game did work. I started season of construct only for the now not loading…

A bit of blue assistance would be lovely.

do you have internal iGPU + dedicated GPU in your PC?