Diablo 4 Bricked my GIGABYTE 3080 TI

Strange. It has a pretty low minimum requirement for gpu. Is there something specific in the GIGABYTE 3080 that it is messing with? A couple friends have the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 and one has 3090 and no issue. I think if it was the game itself people with a 10 series wouldve had a similar issue.

well people shouldnt worry to much even if it happened. The card is not broken its just a safety mechanism when overcurrent protection takes place, even without warranty you can usually send the cards in, they replace the bios chips and fuses (if there is any) and it will work again. And you usually dont even have to pay any repairing fee either.

EVGA 3060ti holding hard here too. But my motherboard died.
I’m not going to play next weekend over low settings.

Get wrecked.

Also the game isnt gfx intense my gfx card was barely even up 5 degrees from idle.

1 Like

Why is it exclusively 3080ti?

I have an evga 3060ti and I upgraded mobo, cpu, memory at the same time. i5 13600kf, rog strix z690e. Ddr5 6400, new evga 850w gold psu…

If the game is bricking 3080 cards, why doesnt it brick every gpu thats not as powerful? Surely it wiuld have bricked my 3060ti if I were playing on high settings, which I am, 1440p.

Its software related. Theres plenty of handshaking between the game and the gpu driver/suite and theres an issue there for sure. Its not just the game, or juat the gpu imo. Its taking the two to tango and cause the issue.

I hope yall get it figured out. Keep an open mind and stop getting so pissed at one thing or another. This is electronic hardware and given the right circumstances even excel can crash your pc. Shi-ehhh, stuff, happens when youre throwing cards into towers without much thought.

Ill keep enjoying D4 on my lowly 3060! Cant wait until Friday for the open beta to play some more!

4 Likes

PSA: It’s unfortunate that these situations happen, but they do. There is always an inherent risk of playing a beta and one must use caution. While it is easy to just grab your pitchforks and light the fires and put all blame on Blizzard, it’s not that simple.

It’s so easy nowadays to buy some pc components and slap them together in a case and expect everything to work perfect. Guess what, it doesn’t always work. It seems that a lot of the cards that are having issues are Gigabytes. Not surprising. From my experience with them through crypto mining and overclocking them, they are unstable and have terrible vram cooling.

With that being said, there are a number of great free programs to monitor every aspect of a gpu from temps to voltages to clock rate. USE THEM! I know I was watching my numbers like a hawk while playing the beta on my new 4090 pc that I just built. I was running the game at max 4k settings (which looked amazing btw) and my gpu never broke above 60C.

Good luck to everyone that must now go through RMA process. Hopefully everything works out for the best and a valuable, albeit possibly expensive lesson can be taken from this.

P.S. let’s not forget a new driver update was also just released for nvidia cards

1 Like

I have a 2080, not even a TI. The game runs fine for me with the exception of some stuttering in cities. It does stay fairly high on resources, but nothing like 3080 owners are experiencing. Is it that 3080s are particularly prone to this or is it just an extremely popular model and that accounts for them being overrepresented in this thread?

2 Likes

Hmmm no issues on my 2080ti FErinning everything maxed out… however I am running a full water cooled system.

However you can blame D4/ new world/ whatever game you want for your card from dying… However this also shows there was something wrong with your card for it to crap out like that since tbh this not meant to happen. Meaning even with what ever in the game triggering whatever on the card this shouldn’t have caused any issues to the card if the card was correctly manufactured and software was correct.

Also Nvidia has not released it’s not software update yet for D4

My 1080 ran it like a champ

2 Likes

I ran this game on 2 3080tis and had zero problem.

You must be new to the world… Just bc something is expensive doesn’t mean it was made well.

Just bc something was expensive doesn’t mean it uses high quality parts.

So again just bc something cost a lot doesn’t mean it’s the best or good. Welcome to the real world

Erm… You new to how software works?

Not a bricked card here, but I’m running an overclocked 1080 on an EK water block with a custom loop. Normally I get great performance, but on D4 of all things my temps jump and I get coil whine. Only the biggest games on relatively high settings have that kind of impact, and D4 certainly isn’t a super demanding game.

So yeah, something is up with their GPU usage and demands. There’s no reason this game should be hitting a GPU so hard when it should be able to run on a mid tier laptop.

2 Likes

It seems it’s only Gigabyte. EVGA is much better.

It ran just fine on my old school GeForce 970. I think its an issue with the 3080s honestly.

No bricking here but my 3070 fans were juiced like I’ve never heard before. All default settings (High I think) with the exception of DLSS turned on. Definitely some stuttering in seemingly random places as well.

How can a game, with the minimum specs being a circa 2012-2014 spec and recommended specs being 2017-2018 spec, cause issues with a 3000 series GPU?

It’s not the game. It’s y’all’s individual system having issues.

My ASUS G14(purchased brand new September of 2022) ran the beta with no issues at all. The fans in the machine never went above 50%, and when they did it was only for a max of 2ish minutes.

Looks at your machine. Don’t blame blizzard as the specs for this game are STUPIDLY low…:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Actually the rmx850x is known to have issues with transient power spikes, at least those made pre 2021. The old reviews of these PSUs didn’t test for the stuff we are now facing with 3080ti and 40 series .

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that battlefield also caused crashes and resets if you are on that card and PSU combo.

There are bugs where problems like this are not on the user end. That’s perfectly normal for a beta.

1 Like

Yeah, exact my concern. It has to be a weird interaction between the game and the specific GPU Gigabyte 3080ti. This game is ridiculously well optimized to run on PCs from almost 10 years ago. There is literally no reason for it to be this problematic.

I suspect it must be what a lot of folks here said: some crazy high FPS running in certain portions of the game, such as the chapel cutscene at the start or certain areas of the map. Diablo II Resurrected has a couple of areas like that too, where my GPU starts going crazy above 85C for no reasons (in my case it’s usually in the Spider Jungle during Act 3).

But in Diablo IV’s case it’s probably some very specific interaction between said portions of the game and the 3080ti frying. Because it really can’t be a coincidence most Gigabyte 3080ti users having the exact same issue at the exact same part.