Designers Can't Reconcile Fun & Grind

Was genuinely surprised I got a response out of him. Granted it wasn’t much of one, and I should’ve known better, so that’s on me, but it was something. If for nothing else just confirms he’s here to do nothing but troll.

2 Likes

This person gets it. The Devs don’t.

Change your name to trash. Fits you much better

• Having fun and varied content
  • There needs to be an element of surprise to content and for it to be not be as repetitive as it is
  • Rewards and progression should be available across multiple types of content
  • Cages were a good idea. Let’s give players the ability to tune the challenge and subsequent reward.
  • Tone back one-shots across the board (player damage and enemy damage)
  • Bosses need to have fun and engaging boss mechanics
  • RNG is fine, but Seasonal progression needs to have a targetting grinding safety net. This allows players to at least have some control over things.
  • Content and combat should be fun enough even without any progression carrots dangled on a stick.
1 Like

Only if you were smoking it.

3 Likes

Agree completely. I’ll add further that ‘powerful’ items keeps getting eroded with their own monster toughness and 1-shot gimmick inflation. So the current cycle already taking damage from millions to literally trillions is a pattern of buff damage, then buff monster HP do damage isn’t enough, then buff damage again, then re-buff monster HP.

There is not enough fun or exciting items to loot. This is probably deeply rooted in their believe that players should not be able to endlessly spam skills. For example, what if starfall unique had a minimum cool down of 3 seconds on the affix taking the real cool down to effectively zero. What is so bad about endless spamming on meteor especially in it’s current weak state? Why time gate players on this cool down?

They could have brought back the malignant heart, vampire power, and spider pet all at once for the Season 5 anniversary edition for two months. I would definitely enjoy it for that time.

I agree that this would be more fun for me personally and presumably for some subset of the D4 population that would also enjoy it. But there would be a highly vocal subset screaming about how this kind of gameplay slows them down and doesn’t respect their time. They found a key and then had to hunt all over the dungeon for the chest it opens? They’d be on the forum for a week complaining about how much time that cost them.

I think you could do a better Pit for them by making it reuse old Gauntlets but with high enough difficulty that you need defense and with variable payouts that encourage you to master each Gauntlet.

I do miss the random blast from an arrow or hearing the sound that meant you should run off before the barrel explodes.

Yeah. I’d even take a type of dungeon where they randomly chained together sections of the existing NMDs for each tileset.

Right. Finding a resplendent chest should be a super exciting moment, even in the endgame. Running into a dungeon event should be exciting, even in the endgame. Especially a wandering boss like the Butcher. Instead of, “go through X hoops, then fight boss,” the bosses should be squirreled away in dead ends or popping out when you open a door, and fighting one should be challenging but more importantly it should be super rewarding.

I think they could keep the same idea as the NMD keys and affixes, but instead of the keys being for a single dungeon you beat to get glyph XP, they are for a floor, which randomly generates every time you open it (for simple cost once you have the key to that floor, just enough to deter you from fishing only the first area of a floor) and can have different affixes (from a pool appropriate to its difficulty). Then you explore the floor, looking for all the best loot you can find, which is going to come from bosses and resplendent chests. Sometimes that includes an awakened glyphstone. Sometimes it includes Pit mats. The deeper the floor, the more likely it is to include GAs. Now that would be fun.

I think this aspect of pure roguelikes is really cool for those games but doesn’t work nearly as well for a game where your “run” is intended to last a whole season. It could be fun to have the shrines have a random effect and that effect potentially be a debuff that lasts for the rest of the floor you are on. But you’d have to find some reason why people won’t just regenerate the floor when they get a bad shrine. Maybe there are good shrines that also last for the whole floor. Maybe there is a mechanic like helltide threat.

Eh, I like aspects. Now that there are many of them and you can swap at will, they basically are part of the skill tree. They just have a different set of trade offs between what each slot can do, and keeping them on items lets them compete with uniques.

Wow you got butt-hurt really fast. All I asked was who cares about how many people play. It seems pretty weird to me to worry about something as silly as that.

Blizzard certainly does.

If the numbers are trash, theres a good chance they’ll cancel whatever they planned and leave it on maintenance mode, like HOTS did.

Players are not Blizzard. So, again, who cares? It really doesnt matter.

The content gets consumed too quickly. For me it’s that simple. I don’t get to play 24/7 and I’m still at a point where I can’t find upgrades to my gear. Most of what I’m wearing I found early on when I started hitting 925 items. I’ve only upgraded a few pieces since then. I’ve noticed this consistently throughout the seasons.

Even though I can blast through content at a far quicker rate, I never see even two of the stats I need together, and certainly don’t find usable 2GA items. I haven’t seen a 3GA item in weeks. I comfortably farm pit 101 for mats, and have cleared up to 120. It’s like they’ve turned off drops, no matter how fast I get through things.

Feels like the game is done for the season already unless I start another toon.

Fun? Turn my drops back on. Ease up on whatever behind the scenes gear score equation they are using to limit my drops at end game.

What, players can’t have the same interest as blizzard? Wtf are you even thinking

Again, why would anyone outside of Blizzard care about player numbers? It doesnt matter.

Because we want the game to flourish? Everybody wants a better value out of the money we spent here, how tf is this such an alien idea to you is beyond me

1 Like

You can still play the game. So, again, it doesnt matter.

At this point you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Have a nice day, please don’t reply.

1 Like

No, I am not. There is absolutely no reason to worry about player count in a game like this. It will be fine. Sorry you cant handle the truth.

Care to explain how they overcharged everyone?

So you said you’d ‘love to hear it’ then didn’t bother to hear it? Lmao. Man, I’m so glad a large portion of my life isn’t spent consumed by hatred and on forums of games, movies, etc. that I don’t like. Talk about a waste.

1 Like