Cross-platform and Vessel of Hatred (equipment and characters)

Greetings,

I have not been able to find this information in any of Blizzard’s official channels and in my opinion, it requires a lot of clarification.

I purchased the game on PlayStation (cross-platform disc) back in the day. And despite how annoying it is to have to stop the installation of the PS4 version of the game every time I insert it into my PS5, the cross-save functionality has worked perfectly between my PlayStation and my other copy on Steam (using my Steam Deck).

With the arrival of the Vessel of Hatred DLC, many questions arise. At first, I will opt for the PlayStation version since my Steam version is the way I continue playing Diablo on the couch or when I’m traveling. I understand that we need to purchase the DLC on different platforms, in this case on PlayStation and Steam, but I would like to know the strategy to follow with saves from different platforms. In games like Destiny, certain activities are inaccessible on the platform without the DLC, but the gear obtained in the version with the DLC can be used in the version without the DLC. In summary:

• Can the loot obtained on the platform with the DLC be equipped and used in the version without the DLC?
  • Can the characters created in the version with the DLC be used in the version without the DLC?
  • I assume that the new location and DLC activities can only be enjoyed in the version with the DLC.
  • Will the version without the DLC become unusable for cross-save functionality?

Thank you very much and I would greatly appreciate more information to decide on which platform to buy.

I fully agree with you here.
I bought the ultimate edition on my PS5 so my wife and I could play coop. I then later purchased it on Battle.net so I could play on pc/legion go. That’s two fully priced copies of the base game, one being the ultimate edition.

But now I have a situation of purchasing the expansion. For obvious reasons, it makes sense to purchase on ps5 for couch coop. Now, my wife’s psn account already doesn’t get access to ANY of the ultimate edition stuff that came with the base game, while mine does.

So the situation is:

• ultimate edition items are tied to your BNet account.
  • Cross Progression is a thing.
  • Ultimate Edition does NOT carry over to couch co-op account. (I’m not arguing to change this, just stating a fact)

So why do we have to buy the expansion on multiple platforms?!?? This requirement breaks cross progression. Her account cannot play on pc due to not buying it on pc, while my account can play. But now this has the potential to break that system that so many of us bought into.

What I would like to see is a tiered system for the DLC. Buy the base edition, fine, have it per platform. But if you buy the deluxe or ultimate edition make it account wide and cross-platform registered. It would also give incentive for people to spend the extra $$$ on the higher editions.

3 Likes