Burning instinct it does not work

Just writted about this on the subreddit. The node is bad written and counter-intuitive on a dot-based build, wich doesn’t scale with crit. BUT is pretty powerful thanks to other crit damage sources we have.

First of all, node explanation:

• It actually gives you extra burning damage equal to X% of your EXTRA crit damage. So that means, the base 50% crit damage every character have doesn’t count for this calculation.

Practical example:

• I have 440 INT and 70% crit damage.

• With 440 INT, getting a SUMATIVE bonus of 5% for the Burning Instinct node for each 20 INT, i get an extra 110%. Since its SUMATIVE, we have a total of 150% (110% from this INT calculation, plus the base 40% on the node description) of our EXTRA crit damage as burning damage.

• With 70% crit damage, i have a base 50% that every character has, plus 20% from gear, passives, etc. So i have 20% EXTRA crit damage, even if my character stats interface shows 70% crit damage.

• 150% of 20% is 30%, so with 440 INT and 70 crit damage, my Burning Instinct node is giving me an extra 30% burning damage.

When this node starts to get powerfull is when we get extra crit damage from other sources, for example with Esu’s Ferocity or Devouring Flame passives. Let’s talk about them and see how much damage those can give us once we have Burning Instinct node:

Devouring Flame:

• 30% plain crit damage, even without the immobilize bonus, with a pretty low amount of 240 INT, is giving us already 30% burning damage. With a bigger amount of 440 INT, we can get up to 45% burning damage from this passive.

Esu’s Ferocity:

• 25% plain crit damage, with the same stats than above example, is giving us 25% burning damage with 240 INT, or 27.5% burning damage with 440 INT. Comparing this to Combustion, wich gives us 4% burning damage per burning source (assuming we are always having more than 3 different sources) we need at least 7 different burning sources to outscale Esu’s Ferocity once we have Burning Instinct. And we can always scale this bonus to the infinite just stacking more INT.

TL/DR: Burning Instinct is actually a good legendary node once you understand how it works, dont prioritize crit damage on you gear, just get as much as you can pasively without losing other important stats and swap skill points to Devouring Blaze and Esu’s Ferocity as soon as you reach your legendary node.

1 Like

If you actually tried this in-game before talking crap here you would have seen it doesn’t work. Since BI ONLY works from gear. even speccing in paragon for crit damage nodes doesn’t higher the damage amount. This node needs to be reworked asap.

How exactly can you know if the 30% crit damage from burning ennemies work or not? I was wondering if it does.

Besides, the bonus burning damage is not calculated in spell tooltips. I have 39% bonus damage from the legendary node but the firewall damage as displayed in the spell description doesn’t change at all with or without the legendary node.

Well if you watch your % on BI and then you spec into paragon it won’t go up. If you specced devouring flame and you ignite an enemy, it should go up as well. which it doesn’t. also it doesn’t work with the base 50% which is a joke itself. It only works with added crit damage from gear. And there you only have 3 slots, weapon and 2 rings. So you have to take crit damage on your gear to get somewhere above 100 extra crit damage to get to somewhat 300% burning damage which is a high request. Everything below is abysmal. So you either go all in or just don’t use it. Oh and btw it scales better the more fire spells you use since every burn is improved. So you are forced to run as much as possible too. So there’s that, high request for somewhat middle output while other classes mindlessly spec something and get 200+ out of that. Now tell me Sorc or this node is fantastic. Because it’s not.
PS: I still run fire and will go all the way to max it out as much as possible. So I still love it.

1 Like

It did go up in the preview when I took the crit damage Rare and Magic nodes in the middle of the Searing Heat board. That is unconditional and is treated just like crit damage from gear.

Yes that’s right I got that wrong. The paragon node is working and so are elixirs with +crit damage. But still, our skill doesn’t work with it. and so doesn’t do the basic 50% of crit damage. Which is a huge letdown.

I have an additional Problem with BI. When I equip a Ring with Crit-Dmg I get a current Bonus of 31 % listet in my Paragon-Board. As descirbed this should increase my Burning Dmg. But when I check my Stats: Character (C) and → Materials & Stats and Check my Offensive Stats-> Damage with Burning → It doesn’t change…

1 Like

thats true too. my burning damage is still on 14% in stats, while BI says i am at roughly 200% more burning damage. Dont tell me now BI is also buggy jesus =( would atleast be another reason why fire even with this node is so far behind. if BI and Combustion is buggy, once they fix them, we shall see a big damage increase. still sad it is not working in the first instance. gonna test this at weekend if it is working or not.

come blizz why is pyromancy sorcerer filled with so many bugs

most played class too

Druid unique drops are slated to be fixed in season 1, so maybe by season 3 or 4 burn sorc bugs will be fixed

This issue still relevant and this talant doesn’t work at all.
I have more then 70% bonus crit damage and have more then 400 int. But doesn’t any effect on my burning damage, I tryed to reset hole paragon tree, but this didn’t change anything.

1 Like

Any info about fixing this? I saw kripps video where he was explaning his build and he had 310% on it so it has to broken not for every one.

Burning instinct also showing 0% bonus for me. Looks like ability is currently disabled.

Bump, fire sorc is unplayable without this node working. I was at +100% in the preview and now I get + 0%. Stopped playing necro because minion is broken and stopping sorc because fire is broken. Only my rogue is playable

1 Like

Solved the Issue

The 0% will go up if you have any Equipment with Critical Strike Damage then (ONLY THEN) it goes up further every + Int from other equips, Only having Int from equips don’t count. The more Critical Strike damage and Int + you get from equips the higher the %. It doesn’t count Base Stats.
All tied up to item contribution. I was able to bring mine to 20%

They need to update Paragon Description

Although this works for the bonus for crit damage, it doesn’t seem solved for the “further increased by 5% for every 20 intelligence you have.” I have over 140 int from gear and only sitting at 16% bonus burning damage from this node. It looks like its only calculating the equipt crit damage.

1 Like

It doesnt count the Base Int stat, but try putting on an equip with + Int, it raises the %

No way, you answered so disrespectfull to tell me i don’t know what im talking about, just to realize you are wrong a few posts later. Watch your words, we are everyone here to enjoy the game and help each other :slight_smile:

Tried calculating on mine.
80% Total Crit Damage, 562 Total Int, Current Bonus 54%

80% - 50% Base Crit Damage = 30%
Bonus from Int → 562 / 20 = 28. 28 times 5% = 140%
Damage Bonus → (Base 40% + Int Bonus 140%) * 30% Crit Damage = 54%

It works but still, Crit Damage on my DoT that doesn’t crit?
Bruh. I need synergy for my burn buddy…

Yo Blizzard, fix this. 20 days for a hot fix on a broken legendary node is too long.