Bricked 3090 GPU

https://i.imgur.com/TkNzUtv.jpg

I left it sitting on the vendor screen for ten minutes and that’s the hottest it got.

Yeah idk what it is. I’m sure FPS has something to do with it, but it shouldn’t be having the impact that it is.

I see that you have yours capped at 60, would you mind testing it at 120?

When I dropped mine from 145 to 120 FPS the max temp dropped about 3 Celsius.

I agree with you though that something about the game is the “catalyst”, but idle screens shouldn’t be 2x more GPU intensive than big fights with particle effects everywhere.

Your GPU bricked I bet because it over heated and died. This game runs super hot for some reason I forced my GPU fans up to 85% yeah not healthy im sure but keeps it cool.

Of course higher framerates is going to mean higher temperatures. The GPU is working harder. If you’re going to run at a very high refresh rate you should be expecting rather high temperatures. This is before factoring in case cooling (e.g. whether you have positive or negative pressure and/or whether you have good front to back airflow).

I get that, but you are not hearing me. It is only ramping up when I have my Inventory window open.

I can run 145 with stable temps and low fan any other time, in-town, open world, dungeons, big fights with lots of particles. None of it makes it ramp up.

idle screens shouldn’t be 2x more GPU intensive than big fights with particle effects everywhere.

Higher FPS makes GPUs work harder, that’s a given. The issue here is that for some reason what should be low GPU utilization is working extra hard.

I actually tested this, as I was curious. Standard HD, solid 138FPS. High settings, most settings slid to max (default game installation, no changes)

Definitely works the system harder for some reason. Stood at the same vendor you did for 10 minutes:

Everything was higher than it usually is just playing:

CPU hit 66C @125W
Memory modules it 44C (idle is 30C) 38% usage (of 32GB)
SSD hit 40C (idle is 36C)
GPU - Die 62C/Mem 76C/Hot Spot 72.4C
Fans hit 2000RPM
GPU Die 288W
GPU Power supply 459W

Bottom line. Standing at the vendor was harder on my card than playing the game for hours has been.

Weird.

1 Like

This was mine:

In-town Idle:
145 FPS (Capped)
Render Latency: 2.9-3.4 ms
CPU Utilization: 32-41%
GPU Utilization: 47-58%
GPU Clock: 1890 MHz
Memory Clock: 9501 MHz
GPU Temperature: 72 Celcius
Fan Speed: 2343-2351 RPM
GPU Power: 215 Watts
GPU Voltage: 1.1

In-town Idle With Inventory Open:
145 FPS (Capped)
Render Latency: 5-6.2 ms
CPU Utilization: 38-51%
GPU Utilization: 77-90%
GPU Clock: 1860-1875 MHz
Memory Clock: 9501 MHz
GPU Temperature: 77-78 Celcius
Fan Speed: 4004-4018 RPM
GPU Power: 303-310 Watts
GPU Voltage: 1.1

Probably one of those covid era made cards with bad caps and resistors.

Then it would be all the time or at least during big fights with lots of particles. Not only with inventory window open standing idle.

Awwwww. Who bricked in your GPU’s face?

Firstly, i dont believe you. Trying to get a free gpu for being a troll is not gonna fly.

Secondly, if u were telling the truth. U would have called the manufacturer or blizz directly for help. Not here to complain.

1 Like

I almost bought the 4090 but didn’t like the power requirements and wasn’t ready to switch to 4K, so I went with the 4070, max temp in D4 with ultra settings, 43.

1 Like

I have to agree. Normally during my gaming sessions since I set the fan curve to a custom one, I have been seeing 150F on the GPU die, and up to 160ish on the memory/hotspot.

But after doing that simple test, and seeing it spike up nearly 10 degrees more? Yikes.

1 Like

So how hard did you overclock your GPU? Also are you in a cool room with good cooling on your PC?

1 Like

Best thing would be to take the cover and cooler off and check those caps for swelling if you feel comfortable with it go buy a fluke multimeter it’s easy enough to learn the basics to check resistors. I doubt they’ll be able to get an RMA from EVGA.

i had the same issue in diablo immortal when that game was new, after couple of patches the issue was gone so i guess its game engine that is not optimized

You are clearly not reading what is being written. I suggest reading to understand instead of reading to talk over.

I read the op had no power going to the card.

You responded directly to me, not the OP, and I have already explained to you, after you interjected, what my issue is that has been reproduced multiple times.

Oops had wrong window open.

The only cards that were affected were 3080ti’s and they were a select batch that were made with cheap comps due to shortages during the time frame trying to keep up with demand. If your card is properly built, it shouldn’t brick