Authorizing game modifying software in Diablo IV

Seems like in one of the newest updates @PezRadar forgot to mention when TurboHUD4 is going to be authorized by Blizzard. It would be nice to get an update when this specific app is going to be authorized or when QoL features from this app are going to be in game.

Thanks!

1 Like

Probably never.

Blizzard does not review, authorize, or approve any third party software for use with their games. If Blizzard does not make and control it, they don’t authorize it.

Even the WoW Addons are built in the Blizzard sandbox created for them by Blizzard. They use only API info provided by Blizzard that Blizzard controls.

Asking for an overlay map as a QoL if something a LOT of people want. If that is provided, then Blizz will do it themselves, but there are no hints yet of what or when. I would not hold my breath if I were you.

12 Likes

That’s the whole point of OP. Third party programers are doing a better job delivering QoL stuff that should be in game. Not necessarily everything, but for sure a few of them would be nice.

3 Likes

well there is one thing we need to take into account. Im not sure the devs are fully to blame for the games issues. Im sure they have a certain things that main company is enforcing. But then again I don’t know anymore. But everyone keeps going off on devs and yet nothing has changed. So I’m wondering if the anger should be focused else where.

Oh I agree 100%! There are a lot of things that would be huge QoL improvements and make the game a lot less frustrating. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. I want a map overlay too.

I just won’t risk my account to get one. I keep a reference map on a second monitor for now. I do hope Blizzard will eventually make some of the QoL changes to the game though.

2 Likes

you will play on the pride of industrial blueprint programmers :joy:

Never.

The only way it would ever happen is if Blizzard was developing it and had full control over its source code and plugins that could be implemented for it.

Otherwise, if Blizz says ok, people go and download it. It gets an update that crosses a line. People download that update unknowingly because they were told it was approved by blizz. People then get banned.

3 Likes

The players have always been better at delivering supplement content than Blizzard.
WoW addons have complexity that exceed anything they could have drafted up when building the API. Same with D2 mods, Warcraft 3 custom games.

The only thing that frustrates me about the whole Blizzard campaigning against 3PS and such is the fact that they are painting it out like they want to keep the game fair. They already ruined the integrity of their own game by releasing two extremely bugged patch versions. 1) the Uber Unique barb/sorc fiasco, and 2) the urn of bargaining being able to print gold infinitely. Eternal Realm’s economy is already scuffed from the Cellar exploit farming, and now Season 1 there’s a bunch of people with hundreds of millions of gold within the first week. What exactly are they keeping fair? Everyone’s single player playthrough? It just seems so comical to me at this point.

They don’t care about fairness. They don’t care about the players. They care about their bottom line, and they keep botters in the game long enough to generate profit so after they send each ban wave they increase the likelihood of those bots purchasing another batch of accounts.

1 Like

Just my opinion but the only QOL I want for the UI is to scale it ± 25% and for the pin path you place on the map to be visible in dungeons.

Why would Blizzard authorize (provide license too) a software maker when they can implement those same features like they’ve done in World of Warcraft ?

1 Like

They wouldn’t because they don’t.

1 Like

You mean implementing basic stuff that everyone wanted and that was almost obligatory to play their game only after 19 years?

1 Like

What about creating APIs that will allow developers to create QOL software “legally” similar to what you have in like WoW and … quite a faire amount of other games ?

You know you’ll deliver those QOL in like 4 years, while independent devs can deliver software in a few weeks.

Let - Us - Enjoy - This - Game

Btw I didn’t even know about TurboHD4, I google it following the blue post, now I want what it provides and don’t understand how it is not available in a pricey AAA game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully never.
If Blizzard can learn something from it, in terms of UI features, fair enough. But anyone who use third party software to alter an online game should be permabanned.

If there was an offline mode, and there very much should be, then modders could, and hopefully would, go all in on creating great stuff.

I am a big fan of WoW addons, but Blizzard have also struggled a lot over the years with ensuring those didnt become cheating. And they didnt exactly win that fight. Now raids etc. are designed based on the existence of mods that give players too much information.
Hard to imagine Blizzard will ever have that kind of addon support in a game again.

If they could build an API that genuinely only could be used for UI changes, that would be great though. Doesnt seem realistic though. People are too innovative.

1 Like

Creating that sandbox and API system is a major undertaking in itself. The question came up during early D3 and the answer from Blizzard at the time was “never again”.

I don’t know all the details about WHY they said that, but I think it was just that it is a massive amount of work and requires ongoing engagement with the system.

It is frustrating. WoW addons only change the User Interface and only in ways Blizzard allows through the API data. The game reads the LUA files and displays the info where the LUA indicates. I love it. I have used certain addons since they came out basically.

Over time Blizzard has added the features of some addons to the game, which is great. But it can take YEARS for that to happen.

I wish they would create a sandbox and API system for D4, but I really really don’t think they ever will.

2 Likes

Actually they implemented mods into the game going back to WotLK as far back as WoWAce with decursive, dbm even elements of titanmod since 2017 (iirc) Blizzard owns all rights to mods that work with WOW since its their .LUA they make them in.

1 Like

Case in point.

GSHADE

I believe the reason is that they don’t like what happened in WoW, where they had to design the game around people having add-ons (raids are clearly designed this way, and not the only thing that is), which they don’t like because it makes it harder for them to design and leaves them in the odd situation of designing a game in ways that require 3rd party mods to play properly. In WoW it was/is way too late to change that at this point, because the die is cast there, but I think they are really adamant about not recreating the issue in new games.

Now that isn’t an argument against QOL as such, but I think they just don’t want to open the door with an API, because players have proven to be far too innovative and good at developing things that really change the way the game plays simply by reimagining how data is provided to the player … they don’t want to go down that path again, I am pretty sure.

I didn’t know turbohud existed until that post. I haven’t played diablo since I beat uber lilith weeks ago. I tried playing some season 1 on HC but stopped after a day.

I saw this hud and only from the post saying it’ll get you banned. Those QoL improvements in the hud is what would bring me back. How is it that blizzard can’t bring QoL but some third party does and then you ban it.

LOL

4 Likes

I think the reason might be even simpler, that lua isn’t used in Diablo?