3080ti bricked after playing

Yes I have a nvme SSD close to the gpu but my gpu is vertically mounted so it’s not that close. My OS was installed on an SSD mounted to the backside of the case, not sure if that matters. All 4 SSD’s are detected. System runs in UEFI. Looking into boot order currently. I believe it’s set correctly but I’m still trying to trouble shoot.

Also no crack. Tried an old MSI 2070 and tried the integrated graphics. Still bios only.

Yeah maybe you have a corrupt windows installation, I’d suggest you use a windows boot disk and try a startup/boot repair, your issue is definitely related to something like that if the system only boots into bios.

Also, what are your pc specs?

Processor: 11th Gen i7-11700k @ 3.6 Ghz
Mobo: MSI Z590-A Pro
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 DDR4 3200
PSU: Corsair RM 850w Gold
Storage: 1TB nvme Intel SSD

I got windows to boot, had to wipe an SSD…

1 Like

Makes sense, good to know that you fixed your boot problem.

Hi Guys,

I have a gigabyte 3080ti and was wondering do I risk playing. I bought the game months back and only tried it once during a beta, it crashed on the log-in queue. Never tried again and then started noticing posts online about it bricking my card.

Do I try the game again? Should I wait to see if any official news comes out? Any help would be good as been wanting to play this game for a long time

As long as you do the following, you should be fine:

1. Cap the game at 60 fps both in-game and from the nvidia control panel/amd adrenalin
  2. Apply an aggressive fan curve with MSI Afterburner to make sure that your card is being cooled properly at all times when running the game.
  3. Apply a lower gpu power limit like 70-80% with MSI Afterburner (along with a more aggressive fan curve/lower temperature limit)
  4. Always monitor your gpu usage, temperature, frequency, fan speed and power consumption with MSI Afterburner.
2 Likes

Found that I am able to run 90 FPS using medium settings and using MSI afterburner with power at 80% and fans between 80-100. Overall it’s been smooth but now I’m having this issue of in game dialogue lines/audio either not playing at all or lagging then all playing simultaneously. Almost like they are all loading in at once. Have been having a blast otherwise though! If anyone knows how to fix the dialogue thing lmk.

1 Like

I got the same problem here, after 3hrs playing… Gigabyte 3080 Ti just black screened and got bricked. I know the card shoudn’t die because of the game, but still sad tho. Now I have to wait until my 3080ti got fixed and i don’t know if I shoud play D4 again and risk to have the same problem.

I’d suggest selling this card as soon as you get is back, and buy some other manufacturer and card model. There is nothing like being scared of playing a game because GPU may not survive its intended use.

2 Likes

Im having similar issues with lockup and reboots that I didnt have during the betas at all. The betas ran super smooth for me without any crashes.

Surprise … Im not running a Gigabyte card. EVGA 3080 TI.

My Nephew has a 3080 from EVGA.

His was full of dust and pet hair causing it to run too hot and reboot to save itself.

Not saying that’s your issue, but something to check for… lol

However, we also adjusted his settings. He is running a 1440p G-Sync monitor. We capped the FPS to 120. Lowered the settings to High. Turned off Reflex.

But we also setup Afterburner and set a custom fan curve to increase the cooling a tad.

Since all that and cleaning it out, its been running fine and he has been playing for hours at a stretch.

1 Like

Adding another Gigabyte 3080ti to the graveyard here. Hoping that the RMA process will be kind.

2 Likes

Yikes.

Hate to hear about it. What brand was it?

This.

To everyone with a Gigabyte RTX 3080/3080Ti/3090 (and not only Gigabyte tbh, but that’s just me), I’d suggest selling their cards and getting an RTX 4000 series card, or an AMD RX 6000/7000 series card.

Personally I already sold my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti and I’ll be getting an AMD RX 6950XT/7900XT as a replacement, probably next month, as gpu prices are about to drop.

2 Likes

Amazing move, mate. I am happy in Radeon camp and I had zero crashes or overheating or anything. Playing in 4K 144Hz non-stop, no FPS limits. :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

1 Like

Same issue here. Playing on Diablo 4 and of course it is 99% utilization and well above the nominal thermal ranges. Screen goes black, I force reboot the cpu and my 3080 no longer powers on. Not able to get it to initialize from reseating it into a different GPU slot or anything.

Sent it back to GIGABYTE and their RMA identified a broken component (of something?) and I am just waiting for it to get back to see if it is actually fixed (probably don’t need to mention how bad GIGABYTE’s RMA service is).

I had frames capped 120 fps for foreground and 10 fps background via the in-game settings however I don’t think they were capped in the nvidia control panel. This go around I am going to be much more closely monitoring to the GPU voltage ripples, thermals etc and constantly record in case I run into another brick. The ironic part is my backup GPU (1070) more or less plays at the same quality settings as my 3080, so… that’s raises a good question why a 3080 is sitting at 99% utilization?

Anyhow, I would assume an engine being unoptimized would just result in crappy FPS as it’s primarily just sitting ontop doing DirectX calls, and DirectX calls are working with the Nvidia driver suite. Nvidia driver sits ontop of the GPU firmware and that’s likely the core issue on why they’re committing suicide is just bad voltage/thermal control management from being pushed from up top because of poor optimization/clugy implementation somewhere.

You had better hope it isn’t this:

I posted about this a week ago. Its possible that the cards have this crack and the stress of the game makes them finally fail. And Gigabyte refuses to warranty this.

1 Like

Yikes, well that is scary. I will say these 3080s had absolutely the most amateur power interface you could imagine.

They didn’t even bother to just glue in the contacts to the PCI-E power molex connector and it has some horrible pig tail going to a board mount connector (which should’ve been what had the PCI-E power pins in the first place) so I assumed it was just something in there that finally died. You could actually break the card (sort of, push the pins out requiring you to open it up to push them back in) just by inserting in the PCI-E power if you didn’t have ridiculous oversized sockets.

Good to know though and add another reason why it’s worth spending money on a different brand than GIGABYTE. It’s too bad EVGA cut ties with NVIDIA as they seemed to have been the premium brand to go with.

1 Like

My last 7 cards were:

EVGA 580 (blew up one day playing a game, sold on ebay for parts)
Asus 980 Strix (still have, still works, in a Win7 system)
MSI 1660 (used for a while and sold. Ran D4 closed beta on this card)
MSI 2060 (had it for 2 weeks, sold on ebay; also ran closed beta)
MSI 3060 12GB (just sold this last week, used it for 10 months)
Asus 2070 Super (this is for sale, it was an impulse buy at good price, but don’t need)
MSI 3070 Ti (current)

Not a Gigabyte among them. MSI has been solid for me, the Asus weren’t bad either.

However, up till the past few years, I worked with a LOT of Gigabyte motherboards. But my last two desktops were MSI boards. Been happy with their stuff so far. *shrug

MSI definitely might be the game plan. I have heard ASUS RMA has gotten worse, I use a MSI mobo and never had an issue at all. My 1070 is a GIGABYTE card (windforce, I feel like everyone had this one) but that might’ve been during a period of time before they took a nosedive on quality?

One thing for sure, maybe it is time to get a case like the MSI MPG Velox 100R where it comes out of the box with vertical GPU mounting, that way sagging should be no concern on breaking the PCB.