WTF is wrong with login servers

WTF is wrong with USWest? Why do I need to sit through 20+ attempts at ‘Connecting the Battle.Net’ , randomly hanging on ‘Checking Versions’ etc? This does not inspire confidence in D2:R.

2 Likes

D2R runs on different servers than D2/LOD, so not a valid comparison. However, it DOES give you (and others) an idea of how they will be treated in the future–when other/different issues arise with D2R. Will they be fixed quickly? Or not (if at all)?

Keep in mind that legacy D2 is long, long out of development and is running on antiquated systems that are also out of development. When it comes to resources, it’s very safe bet that modern games on modern battlenet will get more attention than the old ones.

1 Like

Diablo II 2000 is still sold on this website for $20 or more; this Diablo II 2000 section of the forum has a Tech section, as well as, a Tech section on the old forum; ladder is still reset; new servers and features were added in December 2017. The Game is still supported.

Unless the software was written to run on specific hardware (which I consider to be unreasonable–as it is run successfully on non-Blizzard systems, in other words, not running on the hardware currently used to host D2/LOD), the entire package should be able to be reinstalled on appropriate current hardware. As we don’t know the peculiarities of the software, not much more can be said until that is known. Key point: If the software is so hardware-dependent, then making the software public is no big deal because nobody else has the hardware to run it. I have been watching the development of the Internet since the early 1980s. I have more than a clue. And so do others.

1 Like

While the code for old Bnet that interfaces with the game is “antique”, I really don’t think they are running it on old servers. Blizz migrates things because it is far easier to maintain when most everything is uniform as possible.

Not sure this is something I have seen them talk about in detail though.

Matthew Cederquist on the old Classic games forum mentioned in late 2017 early 2018 that they upgraded the legacy servers.

1 Like

I don’t mean to say that it’s running on the original hardware. It’s very likely that its running on the same hardare in the same data centers as the modern Battlenet.

It was just simpler to say “antiquated systems” than “running on the legacy server code” when trying to convey that, as far are operation goes, it’s all old. :blush:

There is nothing wrong with legacy server code–if it works as it was intended. The real problem is much different. Namely, the code needs to be tweaked every now and then–and nobody at the “current owner of Blizzard” has a clue how to do it. Which would explain the current mess with many people being unable to reasonably log in to USWest.

This login issue has become rather painful.

The point of my reply was just to address to your questions about the amount of attention D2R will get compared to D2, not if anything is or isn’t working.

USEast, Europe, and Asia don’t seem to have this problem, but USWest has been doing this for months. So F me for living on the west coast right? What gives?

It is not the “AMOUNT of attention”, rather it is the “TYPE of attention” that will draw headlines. Note the “attention” given to the various companies (and their software) when they “break” the Internet. The type of attention Blizzard/Activision will get will depend on how they treat their customers. So far, there is a lot of documentable negative attention from USWest players because the problems being experienced have not been fixed for months. A reset did NOT fix the problems. Therefore, the fix will require cash expenditures to find AND fix the problems. Dock the salaries of the heads of Blizzard/Activision for the funds–they DO want these problems fixed–RIGHT? Or not?

So, connecting to USWest is still a 1/20 random occurrence, and if you manage to connect good luck connecting to a server which can create an account. None of the other gateways have this issue, fix it.

Because I live on the west coast. USWest was much better ping, back before they broke it. Why not fix USWest?

(post deleted by author)

I prefer to play on the server closest to me, with the lowest ping. I recall many complaints from the denizens of the USEast server about endless lines during a pandemic. USWest functioned flawlessly during this time, it doesn’t matter what server you play on because any of them can be brought down for whatever reason. I didn’t post this to justify my server choices to you, I posted this because USWest is having ongoing issues. Take your trolling somewhere else.

You are missing the problem. Blizzard/Activision has an obligation to maintain reasonable access to all their online games, not just the ones they want to maintain. As the other three D2/LOD realms have no issues with access, that means Blizzard/Activision is choosing to do nothing to fix the problem. IMO, they are in violation of their own TOS. What happens when (not if) there are problems with D2R and they choose to not fix it? Remember: They are still selling D2/LOD–now. So the failure to maintain reasonable access is a breach of the general requirements regarding merchandise offered for sale. The new AND existing users can NOT reasonably access USWest, yet that access is touted by Blizzard/Activision as being suitable for online gameplay.

(post deleted by author)

This issue is pretty obnoxious and really does need fixed.

For those of us that want to play hardcore melee builds, twice the ping is essentially a guaranteed death. So USEast isn’t really reasonable. It makes what should be a challenging but rewarding playstyle and makes it unbearable.