WTF is wrong with login servers

I do wonder what will happen in D2R where there are no more regions and only a global server.

Probably what happens with OW. The matchmaking puts you on the closest datacenter to your location and matches you with others with low lag to that center. Expanding out from there if there are no matches. Progress is global, but you don’t actually match with folks super far away.

We shall see. I am curious to see how they handle it too. They have not explained any details.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Another week passes with no action

The Parable of The Pastor and the Flood.

First Contact

Once there was a pastor who lived in a small town. He was pious and proud, and served the community openly and generously for many years. He lived in the church in the center of town.

One day, heavy rains came. The storm grew fierce and didn’t abate, and soon enough, the small town began to flood.

The pastor was not dettered, and stayed in the church, praying

As the flood waters lapped at the entrance to the church, a small rescue boat came by to attend to the pastor. “Reverend, you must come with us. The rains are not stopping and you are in danger.

No thank you,” the pastor said. “I will stay here. God will protect me.

The rescuers tried to convince the pastor to leave the church and come with them, but they could not, so they left him to his church and his prayers.

Second Contact

The flood waters rose higher.

Now the water was inside the church, flooding the pews, and the pastor had to move toward higher ground inside, climbing to an upstairs room.

That evening, another rescue boat came, a much larger, more official rescue ship. This time it was level with the upstairs window whre the pastor was sheltering, praying all the way.

Reverend, you must leave this place! It is not safe!

But the pastor held up his hand. “No, I will not leave. I am safe here. God will protect me.

But you will surely drown!

I put my faith in God to deliver me to safety.

The pastor would not be moved, and the ship was forced to leave him there.

Final Contact

The rains grew more fierce, and the floods rose. Soon, even the upstairs grew flooded, and the pastor was forced to climb onto the roof of the church. There, he held on for dear life as the rains soaked him, as he continued to pray.

A rescue helicopter was scanning the town for any last survivors. It shone a flood light on to the roof of the church. A rope ladder was thrown down to the pastor.

Through a bullhorn, he heard, “Come with us! The whole town is evacuated now. You must leave! You have no choice if you want to save yourself.

The pastor cried out in response. “I will not leave! I stay with my church. I will be safe here. I put my trust in God, and I know God will protect me.

And so the helicopter, unable to sway the pastor, was forced to abandon him there.

The flood waters continued to rise. Eventually, they grew so high that the pastor had no solid ground to stand on.

The pastor drowned.

The Question

When the pastor got to heaven, he was able to speak with God.

He asked, “What happened? I put my trust in you. I devoted my life to you. I prayed and prayed, and thought you would protect me. Why didn’t you come and save me?

God responded, “What do you mean? I sent you two boats and a helicopter.

My Interpretation

East works perfectly for players in the west. Blizzard is not going to fix this.

Migrate my characters from West? Oh wait.
200-500 ping “works perfectly”? Oh wait.
Blizzard stopped selling D2LOD featuring Battle.net? Oh wait.

I’d rather not play at all than play on East. You’re all bots anyways.

Please tell us why the issues with USWest can NOT occur on USEast (or any other realm).

IMO, this failure to fix the reported problem is a breach of TOS by Blizzard.

While I completely understand your frustration with the West issues - and you have been polite handling it, this part is just not really true.

There is no TOS. There is one EULA that covers all the games - which I THINK applies to D2 as well. It does not guarantee connectivity, access, etc. They would argue that as per the EULA they have the right to modify or remove the online services completely - esp after 20 years. That a player can still use the single player offline and LAN capabilities. Blizzard End User License Agreement - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment

Limited Warranty. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE PLATFORM, ACCOUNTS, AND THE GAME(S) ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE,” BASIS FOR USE, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF CONDITION, UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE USE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, TITLE, AND THOSE ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE, and the entire risk arising out of use or performance of the Platform and the Game(s) remains with the user. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Blizzard warrants up to and including ninety (90) days from the date of your purchase of a license to the Game, that the physical media on which the Game was distributed, if any, shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. In the event that such media proves to be defective during that time period, and upon presentation to Blizzard of proof of purchase of the defective media, Blizzard will at its option: (a) correct any defect, (b) provide you with a similar product of similar value, or (c) refund your money. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE FOREGOING IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR THE EXPRESS WARRANTY SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION

Alterations to the Platform. Blizzard may change, modify, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Platform or Accounts at any time, including removing items, or revising the effectiveness of items in an effort to balance a Game. Blizzard may also impose limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Platform or Accounts without notice or liability.

Term. This Agreement is effective upon your creation of an Account, and shall remain in effect until it is terminated or superseded by a New Agreement, or, if neither of the foregoing events occur, as long as you continue using the Platform. In the event that Blizzard chooses to cease providing the Platform, or license to a third party the right to provide the Platform, Blizzard shall use reasonable commercial efforts to provide you with no less than three (3) months prior notice, unless the discontinuance arises from a matter that is beyond Blizzard’s control or causes the provision of such advance notice not to be possible or feasible. Neither the Platform nor Blizzard’s agreement to provide access to the Platform shall be considered a rental or lease of time on the capacity of Blizzard’s servers or other technology.

Limitations of Liability. To the fullest extent allowed by applicable law, Blizzard, its parent, subsidiaries, Licensors and affiliates shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of your use of, or inability to access or use, the Platform or Account(s). Blizzard’s liability shall never exceed the total fees paid by you to Blizzard during the six (6) months prior to your making a claim against Blizzard, unless applicable law explicitly disallows this limitation, in which case Blizzard’s liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.

Nice try, but no go.

They are currently selling this product, so it not “obsolete”. In order to be reasonably sellable today, the buyer expects the seller to maintain the network so it is reasonably playable. That is the definition of merchantability and fitness for purpose. Not being able to consistently log in breaks the obligation of Blizzard to maintain their network to enable people to reasonably play as described on their web site. This includes online. No where has the product been declared end-of-life and/or battle.net access for Disablo 2 and Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction is to end, particularly by Blizzard.

I agree that they should certainly still keep the servers active as long as they sell the game. That is my personal opinion. I have been behind your effort to get West fixed. I admire your patience, diplomacy, and professional manner of communicating even when frustrated.

What I wanted to point out is the EULA does not back that really and a court fight would be tough to do.

This happened again.