Would you be mad if blizzard reverted the story prior to D3

Imagine them going the Xmen futur past way

Destroying the worldstone shard created an alternate timeline where everything went crap, where nephalem sprung back to OPness… Diablo 3

Everything is just a spiral of greater and greater chaos and destruction. So Trang-Oul, the dragon of balance, seeing no balance possible from that sends you back in time.

After the first act of Diablo 4 which sets the table, you are sent back in time with the goal of reverting the destruction of the worldstone(before it’s corruption). Lilith being in the void sees all that, being untouched by the time warp. She managed to contact Magnus and they find a ritual to bring her back

Diablo 4 would restart the event just after the worldstone corruption of D2Lod

But rather than being a Loop back in time like in Harry Potter, it would rather be a continuous timeline. Stuff that happened happened and it’s what leads you there

To go back in time you first need the events of RoS, for RoS you need Diablo 3, for Diablo 3 you need the destruction of the worldstone, for its destruction you need it’s corruption

• Cain would be Alive again!

• Nephalem wouldn’t be a thing anymore!

• Tyrael would be an Angel again!

There could even be some foreshadowing with a D2R expansion

Would I be mad? No, not really. But it wouldn’t happen, since they’ve already stated that Diablo 4 takes place after Diablo 3 RoS, and had in fact referenced some Diablo 3 events, such as Malthael’s attempt at genocide of the human race with the black soulstone.

But in the low chance that they did completely retcon Diablo 3, I wouldn’t be mad about it; just as I’m not mad about Diablo 3 being a part of the lore.

1 Like

Everything is possible

It could be that act 1 is after D3 and then you go back to Worldstone destruction

They would need to set the table to explain why this route is taken

I don’t see that working since humanity is supposed to have lost about 90% of their population after Diablo 3 RoS. So going back in time to the Worldstone’s destruction would mean that the said near genocide wouldn’t had happened, which would also mean that the world isn’t in the terrible state that it was described in (such as 90% of human population being killed, potential power vacuum left by the Lords of Hell who likely had yet to revive, etc.).

1 Like

So undoing a genocide isn’t the right thing to do for humanity?

I clearly explained that in the process of doing that, you opened the door to Lilith

So by reverting a Doom, you awaken another one

She now knows that destroying the worldstone would awaken the Nephalem power… better than that, she now knows that she can undo Inarius tuning of the Nephalem power and turn Nephalem obedient to her with the worldstone

The “story” of Diablo is the last thing I care about. So, change it, reboot it, retcon it, whatever. It means nothing to me.

1 Like

Except that Baal had already corrupted the Worldstone, so if you prevented it’s destruction, you’d only be letting Baal attain his initial goal. Unless you’re suggesting that the Baal is stopped from corrupting the Worldstone in the first place, in which you retcon part of D2 as well.

Dude you are splitting hair

By “going back before it’s destruction” I mean potentially before it’s corruption, corruption which lead to its destruction

But even that, maybe that’s what TrangOul wants, let Baal corrupt the worldstone

Tyrael is a idiot afterall, everything he does helps the vilains

Like I said, then you’re no longer retconning Diablo 3, but also Diablo 2 LoD. If it happens, then it happens, I’m simply saying that you’re hitting more than just Diablo 3.

If it’s just The destruction, then you are not touching D2

But even that, I don’t mind, it’s still a linear timeline

You need to have Baal corrupt the worldstone to destroy it, to have Diablo 3 to then need to go back before Baal corruption

What happened in D2 is still super important

The story in D4 is already in place, we are moving forward not backwards. D2 is old news I want to see what the future has instore for us. It is late in development to be changing the story now.

Yeah you are right… things can’t change

We fought Imperius as the final boss as intended for the expansion… oh wait they changed their plan and thus the lore

Things can always change just not the way you want it. I am sure the developers are sitting around looking at the forum to see how they should change everything. Changing out one angel for another is not that big of a deal. You basically want to wipe out everything that transpired in D3. This reminds me of the Newhart show, in the last episode he wakes up and everting was just a dream.

Baal corrupting the Worldstone is a major part of the Diablo 2 LoD story, since it’s the reason for the Worldstone’s destruction.

So if you prevented the corruption, you majorly change Diablo 2 LoD. Not to mention it begs to question, how was the corruption stopped?

Do the newly arrived heroes intercept Baal before he merged his soulstone with the Worldstone in order to corrupt it? Or do they intercept Baal before he entered the Summit of Arreat? Or do they prevent Nihlathak from giving Baal the relic, in which he would have to face the ancients in order to reach the Worldstone.

All in all, I get your animosity with Diablo 3, but the change you’re suggesting, also affects Diablo 2 (LoD portion at least). Anyway, I’ll leave it at that.

1 Like

You clearly can’t read… it doesn’t affect D2Lod

I don’t see it as a loop back but rather a continuous chain of events

I think it would be a bs move.

D3 might have had a bad story, but it has decent lore.

The way the story is told, is awful. The actual lore events, I had no problems with. Reviving Cain wouldn’t really add much to the world, other than the nostalgia for a beloved character. Nephalem were a thing since D2, you literally fight them on the arreat summit, might have even be referenced in D1 in one of the lore tomes, I don’t remember now. And most importantly, D3 estabilishes the angels as not necessarily being a stout ally that humanity can count on, so Tyrael choosing the side of humankind and rejecting his own angel side was one of the few things in D3 I actually thought were pretty cool.

4 Likes

Well you’re free to think that.

Good call you will just spinning your wheels with this one.

I do not want to go backwards I hope in an expansion we go to the chamber of mirrors to free Inarius.

1 Like

First some things aren’t possible. I’m not going to win the Miss America contest. Second while possible many things are so improbable it’s reasonable to dismiss them even at the risk of being wrong.

I can definitely see Inarius being deeply involved in an expansion. It’d be interesting to see.