Wizard Firebirds Set / Mirror Images freezing game

Spikes are bad this season even on a barb not running CoE

Iā€™ve been playing every season but my attention in this game usually only lasts about a week until it becomes just pointless and repetitive to a point where path of a exile looks good. On that note, i do know that with my experience in playing path of exile and editing the config ini to disable sound and not just turn it down greatly improved game performance. The previous seasons the 3 of us have encountered lag with medium to large groups but mostly related to area damage and we just end up not using area damage and it seems to be better. This season we were running a barb, dh and wiz and none of us have area damage due to previous experiences so we have ruled that out. Now running greater rifts solo (i am the DH) i still get lockups even thought i have all sound options turned off (from my knowledge the sound still gets loaded and played just with 0 volume). FPS does not get affected im locked at 165fps but ill get these lockups for about 10seconds on average, mouse can still move and usually clicking on the none responsive window will pop up the not responding window but it does not for diablo 3 (for me anywase). It will come back but ill be dead or put in a spot that will lead to my quick death. Running our 3man we seem to stagger lockups or someone will get 2-3 of them in a row then it will be someone elses turn. Alot of the time (about 90% of it) all of our fps will be greatly reduced to around 10-15 (me and the barb have high end computers while the wizard has a cheaper build but its not weak and should run this game with flying colors). We all play multiple other games and usually have no issues with lag or performance. In my history with Diablo 3 with 3 different ispā€™s during its lifetime iā€™ve had 130ms average and nothing has ever been responsive with this game. All I can say is in my experience with developement and coding that its a blizzard issue (commodore 64 servers or crappy coding). Issues appear to be more appearant while playing with firebirds or in a group with someone who is and the servers just simply cant keep up (fps issue).

I think i can confirm that firebird set is causing me to stutter
9700k no oc
2070 super xc ultra evga factory oc
32 gigs of ram 1000 watt psu

I am also experiencing severe lag on my firebirds setup. Very frustrating in high greater rifts. I get 5-6 second game lag spikes. The windows loading cursor pops up and message: ā€˜waiting for program to respondā€™. When the game finally runs again I am usually dead. Iā€™ve already tried disabling sound and all that. No difference.

Same random crashes, freezes, game completely exits to desktop etc. Have no sound on, graphics all turned down. Sound quality lowest. But same issues at times.
i7700k
64GB Ram
SSD
1060 6GB
Win 10

1 Like

Any news on the overall performance? Posts have been made on the forums for years now with nothing done. Would be nice to see an end to the lag and lock ups that have plagued this game for so long now.

I am having this same issue. Have a Ryzen 5600X and an RTX 2070 Super. It gets especially laggy with a Wizard on the team, really bad FPS drops.

Lowering the audio channels actually does seem to help! But this needs a proper fix.

14 days and no update to the community regarding this!

I just wanted to specify that there are actually 2 game breaking bugs going on with firebirds.

Most people are familiar with the 5 - 10 sec freezing, this is the fmodex.dll issue that freezes/crashes the game if you are using the new version of that file. I replaced that file last season as I play in hardcore exclusive and from time to time on my wizard I would freeze and it would be insta death. After replacing this file everytime I boot the game, I donā€™t have any more of the random freeze/crashes. This is a good temporary fix.

The second issue which I am not sure blizzard has even acknowledged is the 30 - 60 sec server lag issues that only happen in high level level push with 2 firebird wizards. This lag issue does not happen all that much on speed runs as things are dying to fast for the server to get bound up. When the mobs take 30 - 60 seconds or more to kill, and when the group pulls a large amount, the game will go into what I call a stutter step mode. All the animations will happen in slow motion, in hardcore this only stops when everyone in the group is dead.

How do I know that its on the server side of things blizzard you ask? well if one of the members forgets to take off area damage, you can trigger this effect with almost every pull. Without area damage, the problem still exists albeit with only large pulls. Also when this lagging occurs, it effects everyone in the party, not just 1 user. This tells me its on the server side not the client side.

These bugs are pretty game breaking, and for the hardcore community it is extremely frustrating having to remake character after character because of sloppy programming. I know we accept risk when playing this mode, but not being able to enjoy proper end game content on my favorite class because it will most likely die makes me a little angry and a frustrated customer.

4 Likes

Its been a whopping 3 weeks with this bug and not a word from Blizzard, and you want us all to pre-purchase d2-r an d4? Not going to happen with support like this.

5 Likes

totally agree. here is the only way to make your voice hearing

1 Like

This should not be marked as the solution. It doesnā€™t help me, and many others. For those saying it did work, it could have just been coincidental, as the problem comes and goes. It you adjusted the sound settings, you may coincidentally go for days without it happening again, but the problem still exists.

Agreed!!
Game is not fixed until we can hit Play and actually play without being forced into breaking the T&Cā€™s and playing with different game files and losing sound or quality. Its 9m years old no one is having spec issues (well maybe Blizzard and servers lol)

Iā€™m wondering if this is related to the issue Iā€™m seeing as a necro with the Simulacrum permanent summons. Iā€™ll see if the sound channel thing helps. This is the first time and first season Iā€™ve ever had screen hangs since launch. Like everyone else here I had performance monitoring opened to see if anything was overheating, over taxed, but didnā€™t see evidence of anything utilized over 30% when the issues occur.

THANKS!!! This was happening on my Desktop i9 + RTX2060, but not my Laptop i7 + 1060 and I could not figure out for the life of me whyā€¦ Tried dropping down to 64 and that improved but still lagged a bit, 32 was the sweet spot for me too.

It seems a lot of folks are having issues this season. This problem has been around since PTR and Blizzard has acknowledged the issue, and even asked folks to send debug files. At one point (I think Aug 2020) they requested folks to STOP sending data.

All the post I have read provided peculation and possible fixes. I can attest that I have followed EVERY suggestion with no actual fix. Even though I have a 64 bit machine, I tried running the game platform on 32 bit; negative results.

I am a WW barb and have experienced freezes in solo GRs, as well as, group GRs. The 4-man group I run with, we do 115+ and as Zbarb experience 5 or more freezes per GR.

The FB Wiz in the group is running Windows 7 and HAS had freezes, but on a MUCH lower scale then the rest of the group running Windows 10 (v2004) on overkill machines.

All my freezes have occurred (even solo play) on GRs above 110+. I can run rifts and bounties all day without experiencing one freeze, but doing high GRs, the freezes are constant.

I agree with most posters, that Blizzard support has not responded to this issue in quite some time (the last post I saw from Blizzard was Aug 2020). With all the talent Blizzard employs, it is hard to believe that not one dev has any clue to this problem, or if they do, why there has been no posted update to how they are progressing on the issue.

In my humble opinion, D3 hasnt been a money maker since the last DLC and is now probably minimally staffed while the dev force is on D4. This issue has probably been labeled, ā€œWeā€™ll get to it when we have timeā€!!!

1 Like

To recap, the Firebird Mirror Image issues are:

• Occasionally, when Mirror Image is used, it causes a 10+ sec screen freeze, and keeps happening for a few minutes before resolving itself. The problem usually takes many hours of gameplay before resurfacing, but always comes back, even after trying all mentioned fixes (lowering sound quality, disabling Razer setting, etc.). This issue was marked as ā€œResolvedā€ in another thread, but it definitely is not.
  • When Mirror Image is cast, theyā€™ll sometimes run off in 4 random directions and get lost, even if I have my back to a wall and thereā€™s only a single mob on the map. Itā€™s not due to them being crowd controlled, either.

Despite hundreds, if not thousands, of reports over the past several weeks, these issues apparently have your team completely baffled. (Either that, or you just donā€™t care.) When this stuff comes up and goes unresolved for so long, it gives me serious concern about your intellectual capital. If your people need help, there are lots of talented programmers in the community - maybe your team can do a screen share with one of them to get the help they obviously need.

I know your typical response time for game-breaking issues is ā€œyears to never,ā€ but any chance you can make an exception and take a serious look at these?

UPDATE

Considering the dozens of threads and multiple weeks of nothing being done about the freezing issue, I take it that this is just never going to be addressed because your staff are either too lazy, or too stupid, to do anything about it. I guess thatā€™s fair considering all the talent Blizzard once had is long gone and youā€™re just working with the leftovers now. Iā€™ll be so happy when Dreamhaven launches a new game. I have a feeling theyā€™ll do a better job addressing game-breaking issues because they seem like a company who actually cares about their products and customers.

2 Likes

This is what entitlement looks like.

Correct. I paid money for a game thatā€™s currently not working correctly, so I want it fixed.

1 Like

we all understand that Diablo 3 team was disbanded, most of the devs are now working on Daiblo 4 and Diablo immortal, the small leftovers that work on Diablo 3, is a few people that just keep the servers alive, and add a few tweaks every season. So i dont expect major fixes in a day.
But seriously many seasons these freezes happen ??? They have to compeltely stop the entire development of season 24 right now, and focus on fixing the issues with freezes, who the F cares about season 24 or 25 if the game is unplayable now and later ? Fix the freezes now!

3 Likes