Wizard Firebirds Set / Mirror Images freezing game

I used this Get Better Performance in Diablo 3 (PC) - YouTube.
Done it 2 days ago, no freezes since then. It prevents game from loading sound, but better play with no sounds than die every freeze

Convention of Elements ring is causing major lag when mirror images are spawned as it applies the elements to them. get about a 50-60fps drop when the ring isnā€™t used no fps drop or noticeable lag.

1 Like

I also get extreme FPS fluctuations when playing Firebird with Mirror Images, as soon as the Mirror images spawn, FPS fluctuate between 100+ and under 10. The fluctuations are actually so fast, the ingame FPS counter does not even pick them up but it is terrible to play.

A few things that I found out:

Reducing sound channels seems to reduce but not eliminate the problem. The FPS drops are just less severe, and with enough monster density just as bad as on 128.

Setting thread affinity as someone suggested does nothing for me

Disabling the sound eliminates the the stuttering completely, but playing without sound is not really a viable option. The same is true with the FMOD64.dll replacement, as it also disables sound it is not really an option.

Changing bit depth or sampling rate for sound does not change anything for me.

The only thing that actually helps is not equipping COE. So the only viable workaround today is playing with Squirts instead of COE (which with > 50% uptime should be more damage anyway)

I also tested the problem on different machines.

Ryzen 5950X with Geforce 2080Ti 32GB RAM: Terrible
MacBookPro M1 16GB: No problem
Notebook with Geforce 1060 + Core i7-8650U 16GB : No problem.

So the faster your computer is, results in more lags?

Was also subjected to wild FPS swings running new FB with MI + CoE, even before s23 started. While it does look like removing CoE solves the problem, for me going from 128 down to 16 sound channels essentially eliminated it, just as well. There is someā€¦ momentary FPS drop on MI summoning, but itā€™s so short that it doesnā€™t affect gameplay, really (even on HC).

However, my hardware is probably different from the majority here. I use external audio interface, connected via USB, with ASIO support (not sure if it makes difference for the game though, but the drivers themselves are good). The rest of the rig is a bit dated, I assembled it 2.5 years ago, but as far as D3 is concerned itā€™s still very much overkill.

Seems like it worked for me to!!! thanks

So earlier today doing soloā€™s. I ended up swapping from my Firebirds wizard to a DH. I did some GRā€™s and ended up freezing for 10 seconds 7 times in a row fighting the GR boss. The amount of spell effects that were happening on the screen was causing the problem, it was insane looking. I am running everything on low and have the low FX box checked. Only thing I have not tried yet is running at a lower resolution. I am currently running at 1440p 144hz. So itā€™s not just CoE+MI related.

Also if curious, I am running a i9-9900k 32GB ram and 2080ti.

1 Like

This is something different. High density with lots of effects especially when area damage and/or DoT is involved always lagged the game and probably always will be, and lowering details on the client will not help in this case, as it is the server that can not keep up.

The COE/Mirror Images interaction is something different, the game stutters as soon as you spawn the mirror images even if nothing happens on screen. You also do not have this several second lags you describe, the FPS on paper stay in a range that would be OK, but instead of 100 frames distributed over a second you get something like a stall for half a second and then the other half you see all 100 frames, and the same thing over and over.

This also most likely is client related and not server related like the problem you describe.

How much more info do you need to collect? This issue has been there for almost a year.

1 Like

interesting that itā€™s something different seeing as this is the first season I have experienced this kind of performance issue. Guess I have been lucky this entire time :thinking:

1 Like

It depends on several factors how severe this is.
Depending on the built you play and if you play mostly solo you may have not encountered this server lag a lot.
It happens very often for example when the blue goblins explode.
It usually also is ā€œjustā€ a few seconds and not 10 like you describe.

As I said DoT and area damage is a huge factor how severe server lag is, and with the firebirds 4 piece applying DoT everywhere this can not really be avoided. But you can make sure you do not have any area damage rolls on any of your gear as well as your paragon points, as there is no meaningful damage with firebirds that can proc AD anyway you do not lose anything but reduce the chances of lag a lot.

1 Like

Makes sense, I donā€™t have any AD at all applied. I never played FB set before this season honestly. And yeah I also am dealing with the small hitches, but the freezes are also brand new to me. Never experienced them before and I have played some builds that put more effects on the screen than what causes the freezes currently. Made me think both were related some how.

Modern servers can deal with HUGE datasets, D3 is years old and as such should not be an issue of processing power. If anything its buggy code or old servers. The game has got worse with age, the hardware available to them has only got better!!!

Can confirm, definitely an issue with mirror images/fb/Coe. Never in my entire time playing D3 have I experienced this kind of stuttering or lag. Also game completely freezes for roughly 10 seconds every 2 minutes or so. Makes for a really terrible time. Iā€™ve reinstalled game, played with sound settings and video settings. Going to go home and try the priority affinity trick and also just removing CoE altogether which is really unfortunate since my only primal is ironically CoE.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing barb for most of this season (hardcore). I experienced total screen freezing for around 10 seconds only about three times before today. Once was when I ported down on a wizard in a public game, the other two were solo. Not sure what causes this with barb.

Today I started playing Firebird wizard and this problem makes it unplayable, especially in hardcore. Iā€™ve run two greater rifts so far and had two screen freezes in the first and four in the second, and I was only in either of them for around 3-5 minutes each. Fortunately wizards have three cheat deaths or I would certainly have died, as each occurrence procced me at least once. The final time it happened was when I had just been procced twice due to a freeze so I went back to the door and there was a single white mob there. I popped Mirror to kill him and had another screen freeze just as long as the others, so it appears that mob density has nothing to do with it.

When it had happened on the barb I researched it lightly and tried a few fixes to no avail, but nothing has worked for me so far on the wizard. I have everything on minimum settings graphically. I tried to lower the sound channels as some suggested, and even turned sound off completely but it was zero help - it occurred even with no sound running. Video and graphic drivers are updated. Running a 1080, 8th gen i7, 16GB of RAM, etc.

Iā€™ll try the dll swap and see if it helps next.

1 Like

I was playing with a friend that uses Mirror Image for his Wizard build, and we whittled it down to whether or not he had Convention of Elements equipped or not. He put the ring on, freezing every few seconds for both of us. He takes it off, no problem at all.

Edit: Interesting to see that itā€™s audio related. Iā€™ll relay the fix to him and try it myself.

2 Likes

Thx that helpd a lotā€¦ bun im only running 60 fps now :s

Thanks everyone for posting this information. I can confirm that removal of Convention of Elements without any other changes has fixed the lagging issues. Also of note, I do not have any Firebird set piece bonuses activated nor the level 25 effect for the Enforcer gem nor Deathwish equipped yet.

Running into the exact same issue.
Thought it was something to do with my installation of the game originally.
Glad to hear Iā€™m not alone though. Currently playing with a 1080 and all my resources werenā€™t being heavily used at all, so it was confusing me initially.

Does anyone know if thereā€™s a way to report a bug for the game? It would be nice to get some dev support for resolving this issue.

I removed COE and all my runs were affected by very few lag spikes finally when exactly a previous run with it I had ridiculous 23 spikes of 5 or 10 secs in a row!! I thought and I still think itā€™s not a serious game and Iā€™m wondering how ppl can manage with. I mean top lederboard ppl. I think also there is a relationship with serverā€™s issues because I tested this early morning a couple of runs with coe and they were acceptable with 2 or 3 spikes which shouldnā€™t be exist by the way from my point of viewā€¦but this is another story.

Actually Iā€™m playing with a 5000Ā£ pc and all graph/sound enhancements are removed or set lower.
It would be nice to know if there is a incompatibility hardware with this game or better to say a recommended one.

I can confrim that 32 is the sweet spot. I have been threw 2 runs no lag. 16 and after 32 cause lag. The other thing is im running an nvidia video card, my brother is running a amd card. It could have something to do with nvidia drivers and hdmi sound or even using a regular sound card.

And he has no lag