Will Diablo 4 require AVX to run?

While we appreciate that fans of Diablo III wish to participate in discussions about other titles, we ask that this forum remain focused on Diablo 3.

For Diablo IV discussions, please visit the Diablo IV forums as outlined here .

Blizzard, could you verify if D4 can run on CPUs without AVX? If not, it might be a good idea to announce it early as folks with older CPUs would need to upgrade. Referring to the D2R launch: AVX Issues / Game Launches, then Crashes on Older Processors (CPU) - Technical Support - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums

2 Likes

IIRC, those who had issues were running CPUs below the published hardware minimums. That would then be the user’s fault. As long as your pc meets the minimum specs for D4, it should run.

1 Like

If it doesn’t fall within the following, I’d expect to have some issues:

Minimum Requirements for PC*

Settings to run the Diablo IV Open Beta at 1080p native resolution / 720p render resolution, low graphics settings, 30 fps.

• Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-8100
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 280
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: SSD with 45 GB available space
  • Internet: Broadband Connection

Recommended Specifications for PC

• Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K or AMD R3-1300X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 470
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: SSD with 45 GB available space
  • Internet: Broadband Connection

*Diablo IV will attempt to run on hardware below minimum specifications, including HDDs, dual-core CPUs, and Integrated GPUs. However, the game experience may be significantly diminished.

Thanks for replies; this is something very specific that was introduced in error in D2R, making the game unplayable on older CPUs, which was then removed thus allowing the older CPUs to work OK.

1 Like

Yes, but the minimum required cpu in D2R basically had AVX, so technically it wasn’t an error. If you had the minimum required cpu, it would run the game. Yes, they changed it so that older cpus could work, but they didn’t have to.

1 Like

Cool. I’m specifically asking about this one feature. Some older CPUs without AVX are beast and still operpowered for games like this one.

2 Likes

Also wondering this, similar situation

1 Like

There are processors that are more powerful than what was posted in minimum requirements that do not handle AVX instructions, so it’s actually not clear.

2 Likes

Relax, Blizzard has already released the minimum spec to run D4.

They aren’t going to implement a MicroSoft requirement for the game.

It’s not a Microsoft requirement. AVX is a set of CPU instructions that Intel introduced a while ago. Most new CPUs support some form of these instructions.

If that were the case, don’t you think Blizzard would have included them in the supported hardware list?

I’m waiting for the day when games start requiring things like UEFI Secureboot and TPM 2.0 to run to help fight bots/cheats and the massive uproar on the forums.

That depends. AVX1, most likely will be necessary (it’s not like this game can even run on CPUs older than a Sandy Bridge anyway). AVX2, I doubt it, given the mininum requirements shown int the website.

AVX might be required, which the minimum CPUs support, but AVX2 won’t, as the minimum specs would preclude that from running. AVX2 didn’t show up until Haswell/Broadwell. Assuming Blizzard doesn’t accidentally leave the AVX2 flag active when compiling as recently happened over on the WoW side, you’ll be fine.

There’s a few newer Celerons and Pentiums that don’t support AVX1 (e.g. Pentium G6600, released in 2020). But as far as I can tell, those are all dual core CPUs. And the minimum recommended spec seems to be a quad core.

Basically every quad core I checked from Sandy Bridge on seems to support AVX1.

So unless you have a quad core from pre-Sandy Bridge (and those are all 10+ years old), it should support AVX1.

i5-750 (2009) and i7-920 (2008) were quad cores without AVX, but those are 14+ years old. Or the Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Extreme from 2007? Maybe some old quad core Xeons from pre-2010? Most of the stuff from back then were dual cores, it’s actually pretty hard to find a quad core without AVX support from what I can tell.

If you have any of those CPUs, and you’re still trying to game on them, I don’t know what to tell you. I wouldn’t exactly call those “beast”.

2 Likes

I know that for the game.
I’m talking about the OS requirement.
Win 10 had AVX all the way down to Win XP.

The very first requirement for any game it the OS it runs on.
then there may be video or cpu requirements for the game.

The OP must have a very old pc running Windows XP or Windows 8 is my guess if he’s asking about AVX.

The AVX.dll can be downloaded for any OS from Win 10 to Win XP.

Not for certain because Blizz had made this mistake in the past. Other developers frequently spell out AVX being required for this very reason (e.g. most games on Steam will now specifically say if AVX is required).

1 Like

I got an i7-930 in a rig I built in 2010 and it handles all modern games OK. You’re right, it does not have AVX, so any game requiring it doesn’t work right. I am aware of three cases like this: Cyberpunk 2077 (would crash mid-way), D2R (wouldn’t launch), and Age of Empires 4 (don’t know details). The first two got patched to remove the AVX requirement, as it was unintentionally implemented, and the games ran completely fine afterward.

The reality is that I, and probably a good chunk of people in the same boat, would need to buy/build a new PC if AVX is required (which can easily be $1000+), or live with their older but perfectly fine PC if AVX is not required.

I was hoping to catch Blizz’s attention via this post to help prevent the same potential mishap with AVX as what happened during the D2R launch.

3 Likes

Eventually you’ll just need to suck it up and upgrade though, after 13 years you’re going to start running into more and more things you can’t play and you can’t always be like “remove this requirement so I can!”

Eventually - yes of course, I just don’t think it’s now (not for this reason, at least). For me that time will be when I try running 10 new games in, say, 2025, and 5+ of them don’t run or run poorly due to my outdated CPU. I don’t know how familiar you are with this AVX thing, but one analogy I can draw: you come into a new doctor’s office and they require you to provide a video of you doing a somersault while screaming out “FOR THE HORDE!” before you’re allowed to see the doctor. Maybe not the best analogy, but the point is this feature wasn’t truly required to run those other games I’d mentioned earlier. The only reason people keep referring to the min system reqs is cause a certain CPU was picked by Blizz as the min supported CPU, and it just so happens to have AVX as one of its features.

2 Likes