Why is the amazon so ungodly ugly?

LOL, yes , a female body with a male head… we need a sexy AMAZON!!!

17 Likes

No

The first assassins that wore shogun armor, used martials arts, and threw shurikens, arose during the waring states era in Japan. When the demon king “Nobunaga” decided to make example of his power and burn down the most famous buddhist temple in Japan, it created an awakening where many of the monks/spiritualists at the time realized something needed to be done to take out these insane clan leaders who were waging endless war and getting everyone killed.

This is where the Ninja or Shinobi originated. And although there were people secretly killing others for thousands of years before it, no one organization was ever nearly as trained or organized or willing to go through the ridiculously try hard elongated efforts to pull off some jank, as the ninja. This put the term “Assassin” on the board of being every bit as recognized and revered in skill as a soldier title like a centurion or a spartan or a samurai. So of course when a character shows up in a game wearing shogun armor, jump kicking things, and throwing shurikens, it is a normal healthy associative response coming from a place of reverence & respect to assume it is an asian ninja.

When you read the assassin’s lore, it is not too far off from this story, and the interactions that the eastern asian cultures like this had with the central asian mystics like from India, which seems to be represented by the Vizjerai in the Assassin’s lore story, and even how the Vizjerai look culturally.

Notice that this discussion has veered away from if her face should or should not be asian styled. What I’m pointing out now is that people need to hop off the troll train on these kinds of immeasurably convoluted topics in 2021. No matter how progressive you want to be, you’re never going to change the fact that eastern asian cultures developed these kinds of things and it will forever be known amongst man’s history. Don’t tell people they are “stereotyping or being racist” for having a memory of the history they’ve learned and the associative responses they have as such. That’s just ridiculous.

Progression is great but you don’t need to crusade with it because that often isn’t the right thing to do and it only brings much more toxicity which causes more problems than it does progression. I mean you could say: “I want my Sorc to look like a Barb, and I want my Barb to look like a Sorc” and you wouldn’t be wrong to think that is a cool idea. But I wouldn’t come into your thread and tell you how wrong you were. I would assume you had your reasons and leave it at that.

Oh and about saying I was “racist”. I was the one who said I wanted the asian face in and that I liked it. Maybe take a couple steps back and consider the reality here of who was actually being progressive and who was just creating toxicity for absolutely no reason other than to look for a would-be reason to stir up some kind of an unnecessary racial discussion.

Good god man. Some of you posting in this topic could benefit to practice a bit of social awareness.

If your point was simply: “I just want it to look the same as it always did” leave it at that. You don’t need to point fingers and turn it into a racial issue. It’s getting old in 2021.

There are assassins of all origins. Assassin is just a word for professional murderer. Thanks for the pointless history lesson. It doesn’t change the fact that the assassin in this game was not Asian.

28 Likes

Hundreds of forum pages telling how much the new amazon is ugly. On a first look I agreed, surprised not to see the young cute blond girl that I pictured behind the sprites 20 years ago.
Then a few weeks later I look back at the pics and my view has changed. I kind of like her now. Bad a$$. That’s how I see her now.
Probably some counterpart of criticism, the more people hate something, the more others start to like it.

The Amazon makes me think of Fran Stalinovskovichdavidovitchsky from Dodgeball.

15 Likes

There are several lore problems with ama:

1. D2 ama is a woman. D2R ama is a man.
  2. D2 ama is young. D2R ama is old.
  3. D2 ama has golden hair. D2R ama has (dark yellow/gray?) hair.
  4. D2 ama is beautiful. D2R ama is ugly.

If you don’t like original D2 amazon you can wait for mods and/or play a different game.

This is a remaster, not a remake. ©

29 Likes

Gal Gadot or no ama please

12 Likes

The sheer number of individuals that don’t seem to understand that we want to use the ORIGINAL CHARACTER ART and not some silly modern inclusivity checklist is astounding.

Point blank:

Amazon WAS an attractive smooth faced blonde. Not a 55 year old man.

Assassin WAS a graphical clone of Kate Beckinsale from Underworld. Not Asian.

Paladin WAS resemblant of a middle East individual.

If they aren’t going to add in gender options, why can’t they leave the character’s obvious origins alone as well?

38 Likes

made my day XD she was so …beautiful wasnt she :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have one question. Just one simple question guys, please help me out!

There is this strange post on official Diablo Twitter - where we can see some interesting picture of Amazon, which they used as a justification of current D2R amazon looks.

Yea, we can easily tell that D2R ama is older and uglier from the first glance, but there is another little problem… This amazon is from Dungeons & Dragons! Check for yourself:
https://waynesbooks.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/dscn8157.jpg :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You can find more pictures here:
https://waynesbooks.games/2020/09/15/dungeons-dragons-meets-diablo-1999-2001/

So, let’s do it in steps. Some VV artist:

1. Takes an amazon from… no, not from OG D2 art. But from DnD spinoff board game. Makes total sense.
  2. Makes her 20 years older. Why? Well, the game is 20+ years old, so it might seem logical for this VV artist to make characters older too. No time has passed in D2 universe? Who cares! Makes total sense again.
  3. Messes up her face so she is now not only old, but ugly too. Why not?
  4. Makes her a man. Just because. :man_facepalming:

Remastered D2 amazon - done. Great job! :rofl:

I would reaaaly want to know who is the artist. Truly. Such a talent.

19 Likes

The artist?

I won’t pretend to know how this works, but aren’t the artists (and composers) hired by the developers (or, in this case, Vicarious Visions)?

I would think that artists submit a portfolio of concept art. Then, the developers choose and/or discuss what they want to keep and/or how they might want it changed.

In the end, I believe whatever choices are made, they would have to be approved by Blizzard.

4 Likes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfzhghPX0AA4vHO.jpg
She’d be perfect model.

4 Likes

The amazon is not from D&D. Diablo 2 came first, and then they made a module for D&D based off of Diablo 2.

It says “Wayne” in the lower right hand corner.

It is possible that this could be the early work of “Wayne Reynolds” who has been designing fantasy concepts for Wizards Of The Coast “D&D and Magic Cards” for nearly 20 years now. Seeing as how the .jpg is of a DM screen from a wizard’s of the cost dungeons & dragon’s module, this is my best guess.

I could be wrong though.

Here you go! I’ve remastered it a bit:
http://www.in20years.co/shared/7/ager/2105028/aged_wb20210501073838358423.jpg

9 Likes

The one they posted on Twitter is from D&D. So they are basically saying: “D2R ama looks like this, because we found this ama art from some D&D module”. I think this is the only ama art they could find with different hair color. Because ama on all D2 art has golden hair.

2 Likes

Rhykker’s latest video on Youtube has a portion about Phil Shenk who was one of the artist for the original D2 Amazon. Interestingly enough the 2D sprites for the characters were based off of 3D models created by Blizzard. Phil Shenk has shared a 3D model of the Amazon on his Twitter page that he dug up from old work that he did. It is an animated 3D model of the Amazon with a javelin.

Old Diablo 2 3D Amazon model

He has a bunch of different animations for the original Amazon on his Twitter page.

13 Likes

I thought we were talking about the current art of the D2 Resurrected Amazon.

@Archy said:

They went on to say:

I took that as sarcasm and responded accordingly.

I could be wrong. Does “Wayne” work for Vicarious Visions?

Even so, his work still needs to be chosen and approved by Blizzard.

And somewhere along the line someone turned this:

into this:

15 Likes

lol

I thought you were asking who the artist was who drew the DM screen.

Looks like you were talking about the artist who decided on final amazon skin.

Confusion there, my apologies.

1 Like

Yeah they turned Charlize Theron into Caitlin Jenner.

8 Likes