Why doesn't this new forum recognize my login?!

I have never been presented with the login screen in regards to the new forum funnily enough… I mean ever, not even the first time I came here.

I did follow links to get here that were stuck to the top of the old forums if that’s of any consequence.

I actually remember thinking to myself how well it had worked when I first came here.

Seems I was lucky.

@amma/Jay:
Obviously you did not follow the steps I listed above. There is no way for you to post on the forum as a regular user without logging in. If one follows the steps 0,1, and 2 in the OP, a login button will be displayed toward the top-right of the page

My point was, I was logged in without having to physically log in. Not even the first time I posted. It was like my credentials from the old forums carried over without me having to do anything.

I can’t actually try all that, I’m not at my PC to play around with the launcher. I will once I’m home.

I suspect this has more to do with you running in a VM than anything else. Modern tokenization from Blizzard includes things like your MAC address and possibly hardware UUIDs. This is how they know which devices are “logged in” and which are new and require a login. Oftentimes VMs will not have those two bits of information, or in the case of the MAC address will either be randomized on each use or not cloned properly to the real machine’s MAC address.

Bottom line is, if it’s happening in all browsers for your Win10 install, then it’s almost certainly running from a VM that’s the problem. In that case, you aren’t going to find a solution and just have to deal with it every time. Running in VMs is not supported either for the games or the fora.

This post probably belongs in a different forum. Like this one

You can move your post yourself. :wink:

1 Like

@Jay:
Clear cache and cookies on your portable device, close your browser, close the authenticator app.if you have it running. This should log you out on that device. When you relaunch your browser and navigate to the “General Discussion” forum page you should see a login button at the top-right of the page.

@TheTias:
I performed the steps, in the OP, on a legit Win-10 installed on the bare metal and I was able to recreate the same behavior. I could potentially retrace the steps listed in my statement above to @Jay in a Manjaro Linux installed on the bare metal but I doubt I would encounter differing behavior.

@DogBone:
This post contains more than a technical issue.

Then move to “bug report”.

I’m just suggesting "you’re post doesn’t belong in General Discussion"

1 Like

This is actually not a technical support issue, as the TS forum generally applies to the game, not the forum itself.

@BossDogg: From an empty state, the Discourse software will not accept a login token without user intervention first. If this behaviour is occuring on a non-VM system, then that’s what is taking place. Once you’ve clicked the login button it should keep you logged in on that device until the expiration of the cookie itself or any event such as changing passwords or anything else in account management, as that would change the primary token that the forum checks against.

Basically, the system is behaving as it’s designed to from a fresh login/user standpoint. As long as a valid Battle.net token is on your device, the most you’ll have to do in the event of a browser specific cache wipe or corruption is click the Login button once to restore the forum specific token.

Are you saying logging into any of Blizzard’s other sites (ex: shop. blizzard. com) does not constitute a valid login into this forum system? If you are saying that then the forum system would consider me not logged in and present me with the Login button. If logging into Blizzard’s other sites (ex: blizzard account management site) constitutes a valid login into this forum system, then there should be no reason to present me with a login button.

So, I’m looking to make sure I am getting the correct understanding of your post. Keep in mind I’m starting from a fully logged out state to a logged in state based on the account management site and the online store. So am I allowed to engage in e-commerce transactions in the shop and manage my account, but not fully allow to post/create threads until clicking the login button (effective 2x logins)?

Edit:
I have yet again encountered another form of censure (hoops to jump through) that is unnecessary. More than 35 mins after making this post above I attempted to compose the reply below. Upon click the post button I’m greeted with a “Please wait for others to participate” pop-up and disabling my ability to post. So now my privilege to post is dependent on the activities of other people as well?! [23].[20].[6]

I disagree with your PoV. I am bringing up multiple issues in this thread. The majority of posters are responding to only the first part of my post. The overarching issue is that as a paid D3-RoS customer, in good standing I’m forced into jumping through unnecessary hoops with the new forum system. The only justification given, in another thread, was that some group of clowns, whom I have no affiliation with, triggered the reasoning for moving to this new forum system and the draconian rules set and trust level system. To add insult to injury some regular players were given elevated trust level privileges early on (favoritism). This amounts to circumventing the new rules for some and penalizing everyone else. It does not matter what value or level of important (or lack there of) one places on the penalization. A penalty is still a penalty.

What I want is to be able to post and create threads just the same as I did in the old forum system. This did not give me special access or special privileges as a regular player. This includes the ability to add links to my threads within reason. However, I can not even link to the diablo 3 US main page given the current trust level system and rule set. I am not asking for a series of sites to be added to a safe list so that players can include links in their posts.

I should not have to read or scroll through X number of forum threads that are of no interest to me (artificially inflate my scan count). I should not be required to make replies to threads and make new threads (artificially inflate my post count), and click the stupid like button X number of times, just to be able to drop a link in my posts. In fact, no paid D3 customer should be required to do the above unless there is a situation of serious or threatening CoC violations. I have not made or supported any threatening activity toward Blizzard or their properties.

The majority of the time I read the various D3 forums I’m logged out. I typically log in to reply or create a thread. I rather lurk in a logged out state while reading the forums and log in when I feel I want to without having to contend with my time spent not counting toward some artificial threshold in a social credit score system. I don’t care to participate in their social credit score system because even Blizzard does not respect the rules that govern it (favoritism).

The issue with the double login was yet another hoop I had to jump through.

The reason it works this way is because each forum’s validation data (the tokens you log in with) are separate. This is why when you log into the World of Warcraft forum you have to do so even if you’re logged into the Diablo 3 forum. It’s the same battle.net account, but each token is separate, and thus you’re presented with the login button if a token for that particular forum is not already present on your device.

So on my Note 8, I’m logged into the D3 forum. But if I want to log into the WoW forum as well, when I go there I’m presented with the login button. That’s just how it works.

With regard to the account management login, that one’s a bit of an outlier in that the account management specific token is a time delimited token. While the token’s short time to live (TTL) value is active, i.e. it hasn’t expired, you can access pretty much anything on the battle.net network. However, for purchases, you should be asked to enter your password before the end of the transaction occurs like you would on the PlayStation Network (PSN makes me do it every bloody time even if I do successive transactions as was necessary when I wanted a quad stash tab in Path of Exile and had to buy a $10 and $5 transaction separately because they have no $15 transaction).

Conversely, being logged into the forum will allow you into account management, but you should be presented with a password and authenticator request (if present on your account) for any security related features that you wish to change.

But yes, TL;DR: For the first time you log into the forum regardless of login status elsewhere, you get to click that button. It’s by design due to separation of forum data and statistics. It’s also why post count is no longer shared, BTW.

This is not meant to be a form of censure or censorship. It’s an anti-spam feature. It’s why I’m editing my post rather than making a second separate reply to the edit you inserted while I was typing my response to your original post. Even thread starters cannot reply to their own posts until someone else has done so in order to prevent continuous auto-bumps. This is also by design.

Edit: I’d also like to take the time to point out that with the button just being a single extra click, you’d have to have logged out an untold number of times to put yourself in a state where you’re presented with that button in order to come close to just the time you used to make the posts here in this thread. It would literally take thousands, if not tens of thousands of single clicks to equal the time you spent here going on about it.

Just a bit of food for thought there. :wink:

Is this forum not apart battle_. _net network? In following the steps in the OP wouldn’t the TTL show as active if there are no more than 15-30 sec. delays between steps, thus no need for the extra login? I can see the point of going from logging into the D3 forum and being forced through a credentials check to access the account management site. However, going the other way should not require additional logins. If the above is by design so be it.

Post and or read count not counting across the various Blizzard forums sounds absolutely Bat poo-poo crazy given this truck load of B.S. they call a trust level system to which they do not respect.

I can also understand a forced credentials check before completing an online transaction in the Blizzard shop.

Side Note for forum management:
Take (b).net and (battle).net out of the list or recognized links. Make them regular words so that, we players, can make reference to the product and site without linking. This just makes linking to the site an explicit declaration of a URL. The vast majority of us regular players are unworthy of linking so don’t burden us with useless escape around the rule in order to converse in normal text.

I can hardly be considered spamming when I’m:
1 - replying to a post within the same thread
2 - post count matters in this truck load of B.S. they call a trust level system
3 - more then 30 minutes time lapse between posts

Let’s just call it what it is. A system to restrict and penalize regular players so that they either go out of their way wasting time to acquire and maintain a frivolous digital achievement or they bear the burden of second class status. I had over 3400 posts in the old forum and that was over the 7 years since vanilla D3 release. I do not consider that an achievement or something to aspire to.

Touche.

…since I’ve just crossed a credentials check. Clicking the login button does not present me with a login dialog. It forces the reading of a token in a cookie that was already present, which it should have already checked. I’m going to log out of the account management site, refresh this page and see if it shows me as logged out. Place your bets on the behavior you think will happen.

You’re conveniently ignoring that everything is separate, i.e. compartmentalized. That makes it easier for Blizzard to make changes or updates to one site without affecting the entire account. Previously forum updates were extremely messy. That’s why they occurred so infrequently.

Again, because each token is separate, you’re going to have to go through the login process at least once. Thankfully they streamlined it so that it’s just an extra click instead of oh, say, your full credentials and authenticator code every time.

Repeatedly replying to yourself is the very definition of spam. That’s why it isn’t allowed. You can edit just fine. The forum updates in realtime now. I got the edit you put into your post while I was typing (but unfortunately for me literally right before I clicked the Reply button and thus couldn’t react fast enough to stop my click).

You do know what the definition of insanity is, right? (BTW as noted above the forum updates in realtime, so I’m typing up the response to your latest edit even though I have yet to finish my initial response to your latest tirade).

Seriously, get over it. It was designed this way on purpose. The only thing I’m not happy with is that a valid forum token lets you into account management at all. It shouldn’t do so simply because even if you can’t change the data present without entering your credentials again, you can view the data, some of which is stuff you don’t want seen, such as your real name and actual email address (neither are hashed out like on other sites).

I’m still logged into this forum but logged out of the account management site and the blizzard shop. Do you not see how dangerous this double login and double logout behavior is.

If I go 1 step further and close the browser and walk away from the keyboard. My forum cookie/token is still present/active and the D3 forum site considers me logged in. Anyone who walks up to the PC I was on and opens the browser (I have restore previous session active) will have the ability to post under my account without my permission. Forum management would have no way to determine that it was an unauthorized access.

I’m not ignoring anything since neither you nor a Blizzard staffer expressly stated the full compartmentalization details. You said…

You are implying access from logged in stand point in your post given the above quote and the surrounding context. However, you chose the phrase I underlined, which does not mean all sites within the B NET network and it certainly does not mean all sites are compartmentalized. I appreciate you walking with me through the weeds, but I do not consider it your job. Blizzard should plainly state, in full, the changes to the battle net sites and how it will affect one’s access/experience. The “New Forum Guide - Syntax & Features” thread only explains the separate nature of the various game forums from the perspective of trust levels, post counts, and other forum stats that count toward one’s participation in their social credit score system. A quick search of the thread for the phrases login, logon, and compart, yields no hits.

I’ll ignore you questioning my sanity since I’ve already discounted your claim.

Repeatedly definition:
(adverb)
over and over again; constantly.

Please note that I was not replying to myself. I was attempting to reply to another player’s post within the same thread with a greater than 30 minutes time lapse between posts. Its not an anti-spam feature its an anti-bump feature to halt bumping but the easy argument can be made for posts that are not frivolous bumps. The anti-bump feature is being given double duty in the role of anti-spam feature. Even this constant forced editing of one’s post(s) to keep up with the real time updates can easy make the entire conversation hard to read and respond to. Yet another feature implemented in a short-sighted manner.

========

Try this. Open the NEW FORUM GUIDE thread. Highlight the title by clicking and dragging from right to left, and starting your drag move just beyond the last word in the title. Now right click the highlighted text and choose Copy. Come back to this thread, click the reply button and paste the copied text. Do you get plain text or do you get text plus forum markup and a URL in parenthesis? I did not chose copy link location. I just wanted the plain text. Again I can’t include links in my post unless say something from youtube so why have the forum system modify my actions. This convenience feature only serves to get in the way of typing simple text. This would be a greater annoyance in trying to edit the modified paste block on a phone with the tiny onscreen keyboards.

…your latest tirade. Seriously, get over it. It was designed this way on purpose.

While you might view this as angry speech of criticism or accusation that is unfounded (tirade remark) or just don’t care anymore, I will respectful disagree. The design is purposefully flawed as documented in this post and even you were generous enough to leave your own reference to the flaw nature of the current design. I have the right to be critical of Blizzard’s choices that impact my experience. I paid for the privilege to post.

Get over it you suggest. How about:
1 - Blizzard treat all of us regular players as valued customers instead of penalizing most of us while bending the rules for a select few
2 - not pushing this bizarre set of pseudo-guardrails on us because of a small set of bad actors
3 - not pushing these pseudo-convenience features upon us or at least give us a way to disable/enable features
4 - not subjecting us to a conflicting rule set and a pseudo-achievement system (mandatory post and read count across X number of days, mandatory like count, but there are posting restrictions and metering on likes per day)
5 - fix the damn design of their forum sites
6 - communicate effectively

Welcome one and all to wall-o-text world (WOTW) brought to you by forum guardrails made with good intentions and flawed logic.
:registered_trade_mark:

You have the option of asking for your authenticator on every login. That’s always been available to you. That will prevent anyone from doing anything with the forum account.

That’s how the Discourse parser works. Believe it or not, it’s a blessing in disguise for what would be otherwise impossible tasks (mostly having to do with pictures with links). It happens as a matter of course with regard to how the CSS works here. This is also by design. What really should have been done, and this is likely on the Discourse side of things, is to make TL1/2 parse links into plain text instead of always parsing them as clickable hypertext and refusing to allow it to be posted. That’s one feature of the old forum software I’d like back for non-TL3 users. It makes troubleshooting posts difficult on the WoW side in the Mac TS forum where I do not have TL3 like I do here.

While there are a few bugs with the editor mostly (annoying ones to be sure which make editing an already existing post a bug-riddled experience if you are editing raw HTML code like I’ve been doing), the design was purposeful and is for the most part properly functional. It merely takes getting used to.

Trust me, you’ve only had to deal with the absolute most superficial of the annoyances. An extra click every so often isn’t problematic. Finding out that keyboard navigation of an existing post inside the editor window is impossible in some areas due to the bug where lines that begin or end with the edge of an HTML tag prevent cursor movement via arrow keys is much, much more frustrating. And trust me, when you are attempting to edit a post with roughly 26 pages of code (at 1080p resolution), that gets just a tad more irritating than the occasional extra single mouse click.

There’s nothing really wrong with any of the functionality you outlined other than what I noted with Forum > Account Management access not requiring your credentials up front. The rest is meant to streamline an otherwise tedious set of processes.

While that is nice that has nothing to do with flaw I described. I log into the account management site, then log into the forum site (separate tab). I next log out of account management and close the browser. Upon re-opening the browser I’m still logged into the forum site (a battle net site). After further testing…

1 - open forum site and login.
2 - open account management in a second tab and login.
3 - log out of the forum site.
.-> At this point I’m still logged into the account management site.

The above is a full-on double login scenario with all the dangerous downsides that come with it. If I did not expressly go and test this then there would be no way for me to know this. The common look/feel of the sites present the user with what seems to be a single sign-on/off but that is not the case. It is false feedback. The old forum and account management sites used a single sign-on. So, it is by design that they are deceiving the end user. Even a brand new user would be hard pressed to know that the different sites depend on separate but similar logins. Maybe they are solving a problem with their current compartmentalization design but they are opening the user to dangerous scenarios.

=============
You mentioned access to the account management site with a valid forum token but not being presented with a credentials check (see the quote below). Did I miss something here? If starting from a logged out state on all sites:
1 - open and log into the forum site
2 - select Account Settings from the drop down menu
.-> At this point I’m presented with a login page. I’m not able to access the account management site with just a valid forum login so I’m not able to recreate what you stated.

=================

Forgive me as I do not see the blessing for its disguise. While this is again by design it is counter intuitive. When I log into the forum, I, the user, believe that I’m using/interacting with a site that is focused on editing/posting replies and creating threads. Post flagging is an essential part of the feature set, while liking and bookmarking are icing on the cake extras. So if the focus is creating threads, replying to threads, and editing posts then I’m not interacting with a command interpreter (aka interactive parser). This is where the problems start (tip of the iceberg). One could say its a form before function scenario. While you provide a solution that preserves the interactive parser functionality, you’ll have to forgive me but, I would prefer they completely disable that sweet, hot, intelligent, tall [shift + 1] by default and give the user and option, via a control panel, to enable it.

Side note → TL3 here in D3 forum. Its been less than 100 days. Do not mistake this statement as begging for TL3. If they aren’t going to respect the rules they establish then why expect anyone else to have respect for them? If the rules don’t apply evenly to regular players then they don’t have regular players. They have the worthy and unworthy… favorites and non-favorites. A two class system, with 2nd class citizenship as its default… not a fun ride.

The above provides me no comfort. It implies that there is much more frustration that is waiting for me. Editing 26 pages of raw html in this fragile editor + interactive parser is like asking to:

• drive while shaving
  • while at night
  • across a poorly lit road way
  • that is littered with black ice patches

Frustration would be an woefully inadequate descriptor and you’re not getting paid for it. Again this site should behave like a forum site not behave like an interactive command interpreter. If they want to offer players the ability to compose fancy html marked up guides then it should be implemented as a separate feature of the D3 site (probably something akin to Wordpress) and allow us to link to from the forums.

I realize this may come across as me complaining about my jail cell, complete with its functioning toilet, small window and slighted dented bars, while you are in html editing hell (solitary confinement) with no toilet, no window, no light, no rec. time, and no monetary compensation. I get it, but jail is still jail… and in this case its detention without probable cause, with no means to redress grievances, and I paid for the privilege. So unlike the vast majority of posting player base I’m speaking up because my entertainment dollars have value and I’m standing up because of unfair treatment.

Not really. The only issue for the end user here is if someone physically accesses their computer. If someone knows that there are others that can gain physical access to their computer and they are not using the settings that force login when the screensaver is enabled or when sleeping the computer, that’s on them, not Blizzard. Failure to use common sense security measures on your end is not a Blizzard failing, that’s a PEBKAC issue.

If you just went to the site itself and used the Account Settings page directly from the site without first logging into the forum first via the Log In button, then yes, you’re presented with a login page for account settings because it has no valid token to let you in with. I just tried. However, if you first click Log In for the game’s site (the single click thing or the full fledged credentials/authenticator, whichever it gives you) and then log into account management, it lets you in without asking for credentials. I tried that too. So yes, you only need a valid forum token to log into the account settings page to view it.

Again, all that should have been and needs to be done is to make the parser post as plain text for those not able to post clickable links. Well, actually they also need to make it so that links to their own site(s) (Battle.net, and the like) act as exemptions to that link rule so doing something like copying a thread title works when pasting it into the editor window. FWIW, a lot of sites use this behaviour where highlighting and copying hypertext words (links), whether they’re URLs or URLs hidden behind text like this results in copying the link, not the page text. That’s just something you’ll need to get used to. It’s standard fare even on other forum sites.

This was done so certain things from the old forum like guides and the like could be posted, as well as new guides made and/or videos like those from EazyTarget for the challenge rifts. His only needs TL2, but some other posts needed TL3. And for a guide like MissCheetah’s transmog guide, TL3 was definitely required. I couldn’t have made that guide for her without TL3, especially since I needed to test certain aspects of HTML that require that trust level. And it wasn’t given to people that Blizzard thought couldn’t be trusted. And don’t try to rag on MVPs for getting TL3 - they kind of need it for the posts they tend to make.

This is a non-issue since we’re not spending all day posting nothing but cat GIFs in every thread we visit. There are also many forum sites where some people get higher privileges than the rest of the posters because they’ve shown they don’t troll and/or abuse other posters. In my case, TL3 actually incentivized me to go the extra mile for MissCheetah’s guide. It took me nearly two full weeks to fully flesh it out between the initial draft(s), code testing, learning HTML from scratch (I didn’t know any prior to starting the guide!) and going back and forth figuring out which was the best way to display the guide content.

Contributors often get higher privileges. This is nothing new in the forum world.

Unless you’re writing complex guides like I created for MissCheetah, you’re only likely to hit two now well known bugs: Disappearing quotes when clicking the Reply button inside an individual post and then using the quote bubble icon in the editor window to quote the post, and maybe the cursor bug, which only appears to affect HTML code. If you’re using straight up forum markdown code (BBCode), it’s a non-issue.

Also, you’re expecting complex code to have no bugs. Good luck with that. Discourse has been notified of the disappearing quote bug, since it’s on the parser end and they’re the ones that make the forum software. That will hopefully get fixed sometime in the future. We can’t blame Blizzard for that though as it’s out of their hands.

The parser we have was designed to let us create more interactive material than the old forum allowed. You can see that in the guide mentioned above. And as annoying as the bugs were, I had an easy workaround for them: creating the code in the editor, then copying to a file for each section. That way I could combine them all into a master file, copy, paste, and boom, fully functional post without the headaches.

It should be noted I had to do this with the old forum too as it had an obnoxious “Invalid HTML character” bug wherein a blank hard space was randomly generated by the editor and you couldn’t post until you found the exact spot it was in and deleted it first. And that could only be done by using the left/right arrows to move one space at a time until you found the spot that took two presses to move one space. Imagine that in a super long post. That’s way, way worse than having to copy the post text to a text editor and making a couple changes there and copying back to the forum editor. The old forum bug cost me upward of 20-30 minutes per occurrence. The current line wrap bug? Maybe 20 seconds if I’m slow or groggy. And it only happens if I’m editing a post after having submitted it first. It doesn’t happen on freshly created posts except under one circumstance: copying forum hyperlink code from here like thread titles and pasting it into the editor window.

I’m sorry, but your entertainment dollars have nothing to do with the forum. That just buys access to the game. The game license gets access to the forum as a privilege.

You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill and getting your knickers in a knot for no good reason. Learn what works and what doesn’t, work around things that are currently broken and move on. Even with TL3 I still have to work around broken or missing things (like lack of CSS for the end user which cripples any forum elements that require HTML 5 as HTML 5 requires CSS for full functionality).

What I don’t understand is why OP can’t take his essay/issue and press contact support and go to the forums part of it and wait for a response from Blizzard themselves

This is an over generalization. Simple scenario. Use the forum and account management site as described in my prior post. Laptop exhibits some (perceived) odd behavior to the end user. End user brings laptop to a repair service tech. Maintenance man can now stumble upon full access to either forum site or account management site under the laptop owners credentials. Again the end user will not have any clue that they are not fully logged out, which is the dangerous scenario that I described.

Most people do not follow a religiously lock your screen mind set in their own home. However, mobile users, in my experience as a support tech, are more likely to slip up with physical security. Even minor lapses like leaving one’s device among trusted friends, just to use the rest room, can end in some very bad scenarios. So while PEBKAC is a thing I’m not talking about excessively risky behavior or error borne of severe technical/security ignorance. Besides the multi-sign-on/off design flaws have been thoroughly documented.

=========

I know you call it standard fare, but I know that you know better than that. This new forum site is designed to cater to mobile users and its done in a sloppy way. Its just plain lazy. Attempting to cloak it colorful language/descriptions makes you come across a disingenuous. I’m on a PC and I know that they can tell that I’m on a PC and not an Android mobile device. I have access to a right-mouse button, which affords me easy access to the context menu. They have purposefully rewired the highlight and copy behavior to violate the standard context menu behavior. There is a reason why we have Copy and Copy Link Location on a PC.

I know this reads like splitting hairs but its like changing the standard behavior of Neutral and Park in a consumer passenger vehicle. What’s worse is attempting to justify it by saying lots of other car manufacturers do it and besides the operator isn’t propelling the vehicle forward or backward when set to Neutral so… Neutral equals Park. Try it with your foot off of the break, on a hill, while in neutral, and the nose of the vehicle is pointed down hill. They alter the highlight/copy behavior and provide no warning to the user. Just let user discover (read: stumble upon it) the feature (read: broken behavior) and for extra points block the user from posting links. Yeah I’ll get use to it.

=========
A chunk of what you posted boils down to Blizzard is doing X with the new forum site because other sites (majority are other non-Blizz forum sites) are doing it so its OK. I find the “follow the crowd” argument to be a very poor rationalization for a set of choices/actions. Lots of people are having unprotected sex but that isn’t a reason follow. I’ve encountered worse implementations of this forum software and I treat those sites like Chernobyl (irradiated).

=========

MVPs should have elevated privileges in the forums. There is a title, green text and probably some agreement they have to sign and adhere to, to keep their MVP status. Problem is I don’t see green text in your posts or a MVP tag associated with your battle tag. This isn’t a criticism of you and you are not the only non-MVP that was awarded elevated privileges. While you are not an MVP you are a well know forum regular. At more than 3400 posts in the old forum I doubt I would be classified me as a new jack. Unfortunately, our prior forum posting history had no influence on our status at new forum launch.

Lots of players write guides and I’m one of them, but I’m not asking for guide authorship priv’s. Everyone posting in this forum is a contributor, but not every contributor is a fancy html laced guide author or MVP.

There are sites that play favoritism with their user base. However, the majority of them do not require one to pay for the privilege to post. Just a small correction… if one does not have a valid D3 license which requires buying the game then one cannot post in this forum. Trial accounts cannot post in general or class specific forums. They can use the tech support and maybe the bug report forum. In short, I’m paying for the privilege to post just the same as you did. Paying for the game is my entertainment dollars at work.

So why am I (and so many others) being prohibited? Am I posting cat GIFs or other nonsensical content in multiple threads? Am I engaging in threatening or malicious behavior? Am I engaging in trolling spree activities in the forums? Am I intentionally trying to start trouble?

I just want to enjoy the privilege I paid for and not be harassed by a crappy interactive command interpreter, or hobbled by a sloppily conceived rule set, which amounts to a partially functional, poorly designed baby monitor, complete with like click metering of all things.

========
Expecting code to have no bugs? I’m advocating for a reduction in feature set so that the code can be simplified which includes the rule set and all this underlying client side browser script code.

===========

Congrats. You are smart enough to circumvent the flaws in this system to achieve and end. It doesn’t change the fact that the new system is flawed to begin with. If you are composing sufficiently complex posts then you are better off using a tool a designed for the task.

True story:
I once purchased a man’s business suit and had it altered by the same store. The tailor they hired used Elmer’s glue to create the hem in pants. This was a $600 business suit that was a gift. What’s worse is the hem was crooked. The suit was ruined. Can you imagine the look on my face when I realized the hem was glued?! The tailor said he could fix the hem by removing the glue with nail polish remover and then re-gluing it. No thanks MacGiver just keep the suit and return the money.

Moral of the story: Don’t try to create a typeset document with a cobbled together interactive command interpreter. Its just not worth the effort beyond one’s own edification.

@Steve:
Multiple issues (plural) which support does not address design flaws and conflicting rule sets. Even something simple as quoting something that has a link in it still prevents me from completing a post action. I’m not the only person posting in the forum that has encountered these issues. Just in case I’m wrong you can correct me.

From what I read the issue in your 1st post is not being able to log into the forums, even though you somehow managed to log in anyway to make the post, so send your first post here to the forums support area so that people that know how the forums work and where things can go wrong can go through what you are doing and tell you how to fix it or they can go to whoever and get the problem fixed if need be
If you want to make excuses as to why you can’t do that and can’t be bothered asking the people in the know and go off at people because they don’t have the issue and everything has to be done your way, then as far as I can tell there is no help for you

@Steve:
Thank you Steve. The original login in issue has been discussed. According to TheTias the login behavior is by design. Its because of the compartmentalization of the sub-sites within the battle .net network. Sure I can still post in the support forum just to get info. direct from a Blizz staffer.