Whirlwhind need changes

Pls change the original D2 whirlwind control mechanics to D3 control mechanics.
If im click the enemy = no ww, only simple hit.
Its dont follow the continious click.
Etc.
D2 ww control is very bad.

2 Likes

d2 ww is d2 ww, wait for d3 remaster

11 Likes

No its fine, its as it should be, click past the mob, WW through…
You just need more practice, youll get used to it!

4 Likes

I actually agree that Whirlwind and select other skills need their activation logic reworked. Whirlwind is a spinny spinny whirly attack of death and flailing metal, not a stand-there-and-smack-your-target-till-they’re-brain-damaged skill. That’s what Berserk is for. :>

All fun banter aside, it definitely needing a fixer-upper. It’s legitimately “broken”. I use broken carefully here as it’s not actually broken by the original game’s standards but by today’s standards it is.

We can live with it not activating on highlight targeting since the only thing you need do is click past the target. But I wouldn’t mind removing some very unnecessary micro management if they don’t fix the other issue I highlighted here:

3 Likes

I hit 95% of the time with 4-frame ww bp because I know how much attack rating I need for PvM. (That and it tells your % chance to hit that specific monster PvM} I also use the tri-ww technique. You need way more ar for BvB/MPK than you do PvM. For TPK, I’d say you need less on a BvC because the other barb uses enigma and dual wields and will not have the defense of a BvB. None of the other 3 classes of TPK, Necro, Druid, and Assassin have much defense.

Right but the argument the OP is making is that Whirlwind doesn’t activate if you’re right on top of the target and you’re targeting it directly in Diablo 2, where as in Diablo 3 it activates regardless of cursor position relevant to monster and player positions.

All it does when you do this in D2 is that it treats it like an auto swing until you move the cursor beyond your target.

Hold shift and activate the skill. :rofl: You’ll WW in place.

Also, if someone’s too lazy to move their cursor, they are welcome to use a controller, get good, or quit and play D3.

The last time Blizzard hotfixed ww, they screwed it up bad and nobody played Barb for a few ladders.

1 Like

Yes, well, this is where my linked post in the previous post I made comes into play. Diablo 2’s cursor management is very flawed. Often while holding your keyboard binding down and rightclicking to cast constant-depression skills to activate them indefinitely, the game slips up and causes whatever is under your cursor to become highlighted and abruptly ends your skill cast and forces your character to walk to an item under the cursor or walk up to and swing at a monster under the cursor.

It’s honestly less about getting good etc, and more about optimizations that desperately need to be made. I feel like it might be an issue regarding the API the game works under because it wasn’t nearly as bad in the very early days of the game - and we’re talking very early, like 2000-2001 early.

It indeed can be avoided entirely by managing your cursor better but I’d prefer flaws like that not be present. Just lends to a very clunky design that I’ve never really liked.

That’s because ww worked differently pre-lod. WIAS doesn’t matter in classic. It matters in LoD.

I’m not sure you’re picking up when I’m putting down.

The issues I’m highlighting aren’t relevant to the game’s core mechanics. It’s an issue entirely with the game’s logic and the coding therein.

It’s not exclusive to Whirlwind either. Many skills have this problem. Inferno, Whirlwind, Frozen Orb, etc.

Maybe TheDarkJedi could shed some light on the subject if he sees this post.

1,14 ww suck very bad because the poor option this patch offer
1- no synergy mean underpower vs synergy skill
2- most 2 hand weapon suck and also the runeword for 2 hand mace 2 hand axe warpike also all pole arm runeword suck for ww breakpoint (only option are botd great poleaxe and Ghost Spear ) but still underperform vs 2 x Grief
3- ww 1,14 damage suck same for the attack rating and ask,so much damage gear and you end with no dr gear option for pvp or no damage :frowning: , very limited option , Fortitude+ Guillaume’s Face or Fortitude+ with a helmet Artisan’s of Speed with 3x40/15 mean only 15% dr from String of Ears ,

patch 1,14 the garbage patch for melee

i miss my classic iceblink lance barbarian :slight_smile:

Where did you get this idea? Who wears this on a WW barb? I need to talk to them. Lol.

Ngl, WW always felt terribly clunky to me in D2 and extremely satisfying in D3. During the hour per year, in which I want to give my old D3 barb a chance again, the WW feels absolutely great! Unfortunately the rest of the game lets me quit after that hour again.

But I guess, I will just play D2R without WW again, because that’s definitely not going to change. :confused:

It’s not getting any and never will. 1:1 remaster. No balance changes will ever happen. Stop the copium. Stop the delusion. Move on.

2 Likes

have you ever used shift click while WW ?? get ready to maul.

Charley, IAS does not work on whirlwind. The only thing that matters on whirlwind is the base WS “weapon speed” which is why they use Beast with Grief, for the fanat aura that lowers base WS.

Learn how to hold the Shift button.

Whirlwind is fine in Diablo 2.

i know ias dont work in ww lod , i play diablo from the 1 :slight_smile:

the 45 ias is free with the 120% ed and is also good for bashing with berserk in pvp with 20 skill in shoot ,
same with the 30% running because he use Fortitude mean no teleport aslo in pvp enigma have 45% running mean you get a total of 420%ed with 30% running 45%ias with a shael (4 frame)stomshield 35% dr and 15% dr from String of Ears you reach 50% dr and only - 15% running vs enigma :thinking:

Whirlwind is actually very broken, if you’d seen any of my posts regarding it.

I guess the proper thing would be to say is skill casting is broken, not the skill/s themselves but meh. Whirlwind is the most heavily impacted.

I’m imagining a BvA without enigma and laughing my butt off.

These builds are terrible. String of ears on a PvP barb? What is this madness?

Have you never heard of dungos?