What Wizard set do we need the most?

set

2 pc: Blizzard stacks up to X times and standing within your blizzard reduces your damage by X%.
4pc: Hydras use your channeling skills and you can cast 2 additional hydras.
6pc: Enemies within a Blizzard take X amount of extra damage.

The Blizzard skill doesn’t have a cooldown.

Duh I meant stack… Unless they have changed that in the last 3 years.

No, blizzard still can’t stack.

That makes Blizzard a utility only skill and limits you to only using Hydra’s for damage.

I was thinking something more like

2pc - Mirror Image gains the effect of all runes and your Mirror Images can not die.
4pc - While Mirror Image is active, take 60% reduced damage and your Mirror Images cast Hydra when you do.
6pc - Blizzard, Mirror Image, Hydra, Black Hole, gains X% damage for each active Hydra

2 Likes

(2) Set:
For 5 seconds after casting a cold skill, you automatically gain Sleet Storm that follows you.
Increases the size of Sleet Storm to a 33 yard radius.
Enemies affected by Sleet Storm are slowed and have a chance to be frozen.

(4) Set:
Sleet Storm decreases damage taken by 66% and increases your movement speed by 66%.
There is a high chance, that Sleet Storm will slow enemies projectiles by 66%, or freeze them.

(6) Set:
Cold damage is increased by 9999%.
Dealing damage with Sleet Storm or other Cold Skills has a chance to release a giant Energy Twister at the position of the target. Energy Twister now automatically follows targets, dealing weapon damage as Cold over 11 seconds. There can be 5 Energy Twister active at a time.

Frozen Staff 2-Handed-Staff
Cold damage is increased by 666%.
Cold damage dealt to a target has a chance to release a Frost Nova at the position of the target. The target and nearby enemies affected by the Frost Nova suffer damage and are frozen.

Blizzard Boots Boots
Blizzard now deals 3333% weapon damage as Cold over 11 seconds in a 33 yard radius, is summoned directly above you (so that you become the center of the Blizzard) and follows you.

Magic Missile (1-Handed-Wand)
Magic Missile now deals 666% weapon damage, becomes a Seeker, searching for targets, and has a high chance to bounce between targets.

Spectral Blade (Orb)
Spectral Blade gains the effect of the rune Thrown Blade and Barrier Blades.
Furthermore, Spectral Blade teleports you to your target.

Ray of Frost (1-Handed-Wand)
Ray of Frost gain the effect of every rune except Sleet Storm and deals 333% more damage.

Triumvirate (Orb)
Arcane Orb deals 333% more damage and now restores 50 Arcane power.

1 Like

Not a bad idea at all. I think the numbers need some tuning, but i get the concept.

I dont understand why it would give movement speed when the channel keeps you stationary tho. Are you implying that this auto-channel effect happens while moving?

1 Like

Way too complicated; KEEP IT SIMPLE, fluid, intuitive.

Overcomplicated stuff is why DMO and Firebirds don’t work.

2 Likes

This is quite nice. PoJ and AoV clearly show us that new sets will not be complicated at all. I read these long, convoluted ideas in the thread that have zero chance of being realized. In contrast, ideas such as this one are simple, elegant and in complete agreement with Blizzard’s pattern: do X for DR and do Y for damage.

As another poster writes here, this is how we got Firebird and its dreadful mechanics (and DMO, although it’s quite easier to control)

I don’t think the fundamental mechanic is overcomplicated. I might be wrong, but from my understanding the main function/buff is meant to be like this:

Works with every cold skill, so anything is fine. It doesn’t need to be an attack or damage dealer, you don’t even need to hit something.

After casting the cold skill you gain 66% movement speed, 66% damage reduction and a 33 yard radius AOE aura that follows you and passively deals RoF/Sleet Storm channeling damage plus some extra stuff. This buff/effect lasts 5 seconds and can be refreshed by casting any kind of cold skill.

And for dps - all cold damage dealt is increased by 9999%. No strings attached, it’s as easy as that, free of stupid conditions.

That’s actually pretty straightforward and simple.

I like it.

1 Like

Okay, well, it’s…not good. I can tell you the answer, or you guys can think about it and tell me why, possibly, it’s wrong.

Which do you want? I can give you a hint. It’s the 4 piece. Read it again. you’ve interpreted something in there not actually there. And the 6 piece is poor as well.

If you just want the answer I’ll tell you, but I’d encourage you to ask…why does he hate this?

I have exams tomorrow, so I’ll just tell you what I saw wrong.

The buff only lasts 5 seconds, so you have to stop, every ~4 seconds, and recast something. There’s an element of micromanaging there that doesn’t feel right. The buff should probably last 12 seconds or something.

The problem of the four piece was the duration of the buff, if it only lasts 5 seconds, it’s completely possible you have to avoid an affix or monster and suddenly your buff drops and you die.

The six piece problem is ET, mostly. If you want to use ET, which is okay, they will last six seconds and deal 1525% damage; i think it has to match up with in-game stats, to trigger items that use ET, such as Twisted Sword and Ranslor’s? You need it to interact with these items!

If I were to build on your idea, I would do something like:

2 piece: You gain the Frozen Storm rune and enemies damaged by Frozen Storm take 400% more damage from Cold Skills for 10 seconds.

4 piece: When you damage an enemy with a Cold Skill, you gain 66% DR for 10 seconds.

6 piece: Increase the damage of Cold skills by 12,000%.  

Remember, you want the set to be functional, intuitive, not to be too micromanaging, open-ended.

The problem with this is the only Cold skills worth a damn are Meteor and Frozen Orb.

I switched to Frozen storm over Sleet Storm just to stop the “stop and channel” bs, that’s just ugly gameplay.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I slightly have changed the description. I hope it will be more clearer now.

Sleet Storm follows the Wizard; similar to Archon Slow Time, or Sweeping Wind, or Bone Armor. But you dont have to cast it directly. It will always automatically be triggered, when casting a Cold Skill.

As long as you cast Cold Skills and for 5 seconds after casting you will have Sleet Storm arround you that follwos you.

@Venaliter:
Sorry that I have not written it clear.
You cast a Cold Skill and get Sleet Storm.
Sleet Storm lasts as long as you cast or channel a Cold Skill.
But when you stop casting it will still remain for 5 seconds.

I really would love to have a Set, where Primary Skills would be used as Main-Skill; especially Magic Missile and Piercing Orb. It would be nice if we could use these Skills similar to the Crusaders Captain-America-Build.

I also love the visual effect of Corpse Lance and so I really would love to have something similar for the Wizard. So, how about changing the use of Arcane Torrent?

To make it more fun let’s add some huge Explosions!

This is why I suggest the following Set:

(2) Set:
While Magic Weapon is active, you periodically shoot single Arcane Torrent Missiles onto random targets, each dealing 666% weapon damage as Arcane, Fire or Lightning, based on your selected Magic Weapon Rune. Several Missiles can be shoot at the same time. While casting a spell you release more Arcane Missiles more often. The longer you cast a spell, the more, and the faster you shot Arcane Missiles.

With this, Arcane Torrent could be used in a very different way, as a kind of auto-cast-support-skill. The Wizard can release lots of Arcane Missiles in quick succession in all directions onto enemies, which somehow visually reminds on the Necromancers Corpse Lance.

(4) Set:
Decreases the Cooldown of Teleport by 66%.
For 11 seconds after you Teleport, you will take 55% less damage and your movement speed is increased by 66%.

(6) Set:
For 11 seconds after you Teleport, your damage is increased by 9999%.
Furthermore, damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning has a very high chance to trigger an Explosive Blast of the same damage type on hit, at the target location. Explosive Blast immediately deals 3333% weapon damage as Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning to all enemies within 25 yards.

This also works with your 2-Set-Bonus and other Proc Skills.

Magic Missile (1-Handed-Wand)
Magic Missile now deals 666% weapon damage, becomes a Seeker, searching for targets, and has a high chance to bounce between targets.

Hounted Orb (1-Handed-Wand)
Piercing Orb now deals 666% weapon damage, moves forward in a straight line, searches for enemies and bounce between targets.

Supercharged Orb (Orb)
Piercing Orbs deals 333% increased damage to the first target, hit.
There’s a chance, that Piercing Orb electrocutes enemies for 333% weapon damage as Lightning along its path, in a wide area.

With these legendary items you can use Magic Missile or Piercing Orb as Main-Skill, very similar to the Crusaders Captain-America-Build:

That’s exactly how it should work!
Thank you for the great explanation!

You wouldn’t most likely, be able to cast Sleet Storm passively and still get it to benefit from Wizard’s AE or proc coefficients. It would probably work if Light of Grace said

"You can cast Ray of Frost while moving and Ray of Frost now pierces.
   *Increase the damage of Ray of Frost by 500%"

Also, you still need to extend the buff duration on the 4 piece, it still needs to be minimum 8, more like 10.