What will be YOUR Day 1 setup be? (Plans, Hours, Snack Food)

Hmm. Yeah…lactose intolerant. Cheese is the enemy.

I do get some but not as much as I’d like.

Spicy though, hell yeah.

1 Like

A nice creamy spicey pepper jack is just Oh Man! Its Sooo Good.
havarti is a nice creamy cheese too, and it melts easy.

Sucks you cant have the glory known as cheese.

2 Likes

What did you think would happen if you made a food thread here :stuck_out_tongue: Hehehehehehehehe

Also now I want pastrami really badly.

4 Likes

I gotchu fam.

Fry bread recipe:
2cu or 240g all purpose flour
1tbl or 14g baking powder
3/4cu or 184g room temp milk
1 1/2tbl or 21.3g melted butter
(Optional)
1tbl cumin
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder

Mix dry, cut in butter until no big hunks remain (mix with fingers), slowly add milk.

Cover 20min with a wet towel/paper towels.

Oil your palms and knead till smooth (3-5min usually, not looking for windowpane, just a coherent dough)

Cut into 8pc and roll thin, oil on rolling pin and countertop. I usually roll as thin as I can get and about a 3/4 dinner plate round.

Stack each piece between a paper towel and heat oil in a large pot, they need to float and you’ll also need room to flip them and kinda bend them if you want to make soft taco shells. Takes skill and 2 metal spatulas/chef knife.

I don’t have a kitchen thermo so I usually drop a small piece in and when it floats, ready to fry.

High heat, fry 2min, flip, fry 1min, drain on paper towels.

Do eeeet.

3 Likes

I can, just in small amounts.

1 Like

I just might. I have never made bread before except banana bread which is not the same. I have also never personally fried anything - I have watched though. We just did not grow up eating anything fried unless it was at a rare restaurant so it was not something I ever incorporated into my diet/cooking skills.

Yeah, I am old and have never learned to fry anything. I have wanted to start learning flat breads though and to fry so this might be a fun project. Good with chili too.

P.S. We have had a Lounge food and chit chat thread on the D3 forums for quite some time. It has recipes and food ideas in it too.

Like Spicy Pumpkin Soup w/ Andouille and Caramelized Onions

1 Like

Absolutely. Definitely worth your time. I cooked professionally for 7 years, and of all things, frying is a very specific art.

I just left one of those on the ground 30 minutes ago. :smiley: runs away

And now I suspect we might want a Lounge thread on the D2R forums when those are final after release. Off topic place to chat, share snack ideas, sports/media/music, etc. Like the Lounge thread for D3.

Maybe call the D2R one “Lounge: Diablo’s Cauldron”

2 Likes

You what sir…?! DOOMBRINGER IS WHAT I LIVE FOR!
APOLOGIZE TO THE BRINGER OF DOOM! :<

I second this post, lol. I like.

I would, but apparently the bringer of doom chose a candy-butt that couldn’t take a frozen orb lol. You didn’t want that particular doombringer.

1 Like

Ok then. I will make one once we get real forums for D2R. It can’t hurt anything.

Oh, and this is what I made this weekend.

I used fresh crushed tomatoes from the garden though and also added some black beans. I made stock from scratch too. I can’t get black lentils so used red (cook down nicely to thicken), brown, and some black beans for fun textures.

That spice blend is hot though so I go sparingly. Ethiopian-Style Pepper Blend | Penzeys

3 Likes

That sounds so good right now.

I made some homemade yellow Indian-Japanese chicken curry last night myself. Mild on the spice, included diced potatoes, miniature cut carrots, over slow cooked brown rice.
oooohh yummeh~

3 Likes

Yeah, I hear that. My girlfriend is petrified of using boiling oil and grilling. I don’t often fry anything, mostly just chalupa shells (fry bread) and homemade fries/breaded mushrooms.

I try to eat clean as best as possible but ya know, once a month, she needs trash food so I oblige.

In all honesty, banana bread is a deceiving little f’er. You overmix and it’s a brick, basically making pancakes.

My first adventure with homemade bread was Japanese Milk Bread and it’s still one of my favorite recipes. That and sourdough but the latter is pretty difficult, takes a lot of time, patience, and it’s mostly by feel.

Almost all bread “timings” are estimates, rise time changes drastically depending on the ambient temperature (if you don’t have a proofing box, it varies a lot), humidity, yeast str stat, etc.

Fry bread is a different creature, not so much bread but made more like pizza dough without the rise (or tortillas) and cooked in boiling oil.

Love me some Naan and Pita and they’re stupid easy to make on the fly, same with tortillas. Flat bread best bread? (Okay, not really cause you can’t beat sourdough).

Mmm I got this curry pocket recipe that is to die for (yes. I sound like a grandma lol)

Basically ground beef, diced potatoes pan fried, and curry powder.

Smash all of it together and use puff pastry (Paul Hollywood’s recipe is a godsend) to make little triangle pockets. Bake and shove in mouth hole.

thespruceeats com/curry-puffs-recipe-256156

1 Like

Right?! Sourdough is a favorite, along with rye type breads. I actually do know how to do sourdough starter. We used to make a cranberry walnut quick bread at xmas time that used the sourdough starter. I figured though learning bread making with flat breads would be an easy way to get used to it. Lets me learn dough without having to learn yeast (yet).

My recipe folder is only getting larger here. With curry puffs I can cheat and buy the puff pastry. Savory puff looks great and as though I could make a ton of varieties.

1 Like

One of these days I’m going to go to the Cheesecake Factory restaurant and sit down, waiter/tress is going to come up to me asking what I want to order and I’m just going to reply “more of the free Rye and Sourdough please”.

Surely get myself kicked out before long, but will be stuffed full of happiness.

2 Likes

I have done this and so has my sister! There is a restaurant in the general area we tend to vacation and hike. Fresh bread is a lovely day hike snack so she would ask them for extra to take “home” - and offered to pay for it even. They were so happy to pack her a take away hiking bag for free! I think they even gave her some of the fruit quick bread too for breakfast before hiking.

That’s what I’m talkin’ about right there, lol. That’s awesome.