[Lounge Thread] Slaughtered Calf Inn

Welcome all! While we may disagree about certain aspects of the Diablo game franchise, we all have more in common than not.

Pull up a chair, grab a drink, dig into something to eat. Share your day, your meal, your thoughts. This is a place for us to gather as a community to just get to know each other as we wait for new seasons or franchise developments.

Rules:

• All the normal forum rules apply. If you don’t have something polite to say, don’t say it. No flame wars. Flames only belong on grilled items.
  • Please keep specific Diablo talk to the Diablo threads.

Today the menu is Spicy Pumpkin Soup, fresh crusty bread, and a fall salad. Dig in and feel free to chat here with friends.

RECIPE:

Spicy Pumpkin Soup w/ Andouille and Caramelized Onions
1 29oz (822g) can of plain pumpkin
4 Andouille links(about a lb total)*
1 very large Vidalia onion, diced or ribbons
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
3 small fresh chili peppers diced for heat (or use what you want)
Garlic (about 3 large cloves large chopped)
Roughly 2 cups of chicken stock
Cumin to taste
Hungarian or sweet paprika to taste
Black pepper - minor amount
Olive oil (sometimes)
Salt as needed

In a 6qt pot or Dutch oven - Cut sausage into bite sized pieces and brown on stove top – remove and set aside. If sausage did not release enough fat, add olive oil. Add onions and lightly caramelize them. Add diced red pepper, fresh hot peppers, and garlic - sauté. Combine vegetables, sausage, pumpkin, stock, and spices. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes with occasional stirring. Add water as needed to thin, or if too thin just simmer longer to cook off liquid. Sausage and many stocks have salt, so just add salt as needed towards the end. Serve with crusty warm bread.

*If you can’t get Andouille (spicy creole sausage from the Southern US), you can use some other sort of spicy sausage but nothing with flavors that clash with the basics in the recipe.

My Fav Fall Salad: Mixed greens and baby spinach, sliced apples, walnuts, dried cranberries, goat cheese (or feta), red wine vinaigrette, a bit of salt and pepper.

P.S. Yes, I did get CM approval first. This thread is based on several requests, and the many times we go off topic in threads to chit chat…esp about food :slight_smile:

41 Likes

Having seen this recipe in another thread a couple of months ago, I can confirm that Chorizo works well if you’re outside the USA and don’t have access to Andouille.

1 Like

RAWR! Can has BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger?

Where’s the cat roast, I mean pot roast?

Mmmm. Nommy soup. Oh yeah, I’ma piggy. Put a bucket or two, maybe three, in a trough and let go hog wild. WOOO WEEE! I just need me a loaf, or two, of buttered sourdough to go with it and dunkin’ time.

Seriously though, sounds good. I imagine that as a nice gravy over some warm mashed potatoes or even over a nice stuffed baked potato. Maybe add a steak and some buttered and peppered green beans and that’s dinner done.

1 Like

Thanks MissCheetah! Now how many arms need to be twisted to get it stickied? Steakied? I :heart: steak. :grin:

I marinade my steaks for about 2-4 hours (depending on cut) in a 1:1 mix of Worcestershire and soy at room temperature in a gallon zip bag, remove as much air as possible. (either use the submersion method or a straw to suck the air out) You don’t want the steaks drowning in the marinade, just enough to cover the steaks in the airtight bag. It’s usually about 1/2 cup total for two decently sized 1" steaks. During the time marinating, every 30 minutes, beat the steaks (I use rapid karate chops) and flip the bag over. After the marinating time is over, dry steaks with paper towels, use a bit of force to press the excess marinade out. Season however you want, I use kosher salt, crushed black pepper and a small amount of garlic, lightly use the bumpy side of a meat mallet to work the spices into the meat. Brush with butter or olive oil. Seer for 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side, then grill to your desired doneness.

I like mine medium rare, the steak can be easily cut with a fork. Tastes goooood! Mmmmm!!!

3 Likes

Lounge threads are not normally stickied. They are bumped when folks who want to be there participate.

Excellent, even better when done, as you said, on the grill!

I don’t tend to tenderize steaks like you suggested, but maybe I will try it depending on the cut of meat. Tougher cuts I normally use for pot roast.

3 Likes

Ah OK, makes sense…

More like last year :stuck_out_tongue: but yeah, chorizo is the one I would pick first as a substitute.

1 Like

Im the hamburgerler and would try a places hamburgers if they had them while visiting new food shacks. This has ceased in recent times but will still make my own when I decide to.

The recipe sounds good although my family isn’t a pumpkin liking one…except for the kids jack-o-lanterns we carved.

Could we get a full slab of pork ribs for Grimcruel, please.

6 Likes

I went to this burger joint once, they had this monster burger… A 5 pound burger on a huge bun, cheese and fixings along with a side of fries and a drink… $30.

The meal was free if you could finish it in 30 minutes. I tried… and failed miserably. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If you show up at MissCs home for dinner, don’t act like David Lee Roth and be nice.

Man, I loved the 80s

As hungry as I think I am, I never try those contests! I hope it was good at least.

Today here was rainy and cold, which was not so much fun. Spent it cuddled with a cat, as you might expect. Holly would not leave my lap almost all day and I never got out of the flannel jammies. Yes, she is super floofy. Normally she is SUPER shy and afraid of her own shadow, but she trusts me and comes every day for brushing, and for warm lap time.

It was good given I got terrible, but not unexpected, news yesterday about someone who was very important to me (second parent) as a young adult. She was 87 so was going to pass eventually, but I could not go to the services which was upsetting.

There are reasons I don’t give my address or have public social media! No zombies!

3 Likes

Oh yeah it was good… Then it was good again several hours later, and again the following day. Plenty of leftovers. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Probably a good idea…

The forums are for discussion of Diablo 3 topics only. Off topic threads can be removed. Lounge threads, for the past 15 years, have been posted with the approval of the CMs so that the Forum Mod team does not remove them.

This is tradition. Not something nefarious. When you want an exception to the rules, you ask nicely.

3 Likes

Switching gears a bit… If anyone is thinking of building a new machine soon, I’d recommend getting one with the new Ryzen 5XXX chips when they are released. (November 5th)

Ryzen 5 5600X 6 cores 12 threads, msrp $299 when it comes out. It’s overall performance is about on par with an Intel i9-10900K which is double the price. (Scalpers might jack the price up, so buyers beware)

What is really impressive is their single threaded performance, they are completely trashing everything intel currently offers which means AMD has now stolen Intels “gaming” crown.

Here are the single thread leaders:

Also it’s worth waiting to see what the benchmarks look like on AMD’s new Radeon RX 6xxx lineup! I’ve seen some good stuff!

Go team red! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MissC, were you at the Story Time With Wyatt Cheng a few years back? He seems like a really nice guy. The SLAUGHTERED CALF INN was replicated at BlizzCon 2015 as a point of conversation with members of the development team. Is that how you came up with the name?

2 Likes

Which one? I was certainly there in 2016. He did them for several years though.

Yes, the name was absolutely based on the Blizzcon Diablo Inn and it was not me who came up with it. It was suggested in a thread we derailed talking about food :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have never been to a BC, but I have seen others talk about the SCI, what a cool idea. A place to chill out with some devs. Relax have a few cold ones and ask some questions at Blizzcon. I feel sorry for people who cannot go to BC this year and hang out with friends that they only see once a year.

I was not there that year, but the Diablo Devs (most of them) are remarkably friendly and open to chatting. Wyatt especially. He also hung out outside the convention center and played board games and such late into the night.

I DID get to tour Blizzard, including the Diablo 3 area and chat with everyone. Also have lunch with them. Sushi with the Devs FTW! Oh and we did chicken and waffles with some of the streamers and Wyatt too for breakfast one day.

As much as the interwebs hates on game devs, as people they are really fantastic humans.

3 Likes

Yeah, but do you BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger?

1 Like