What I HATE about Diablo IV Skill System - A Case for Character Building

Ah, misread it. And yeah, +all skills should not work like that (all skills should not exist at all). Having + specific skill is great.

in D3, those skills grow power as you get higher paragon and reach synergies,
even if you don’t do Grifts to grind paragon as main goal.
-this current level of freedom and outcome is enough for me.
-i go from low Torment to higher Torment through gear, skill synergies and paragon.

this works only on players without haste, that love mobblasting at any level as main fun factor.

If you’ve read my previous posts you know I wouldn’t do such a thing.

Your argument is also invalid for the same reason I stated before.
You don’t have to play in a party that uses lootsystems u don’t agree with. U can create ur own party / play alone / join another party.

Basicly your are saying there shouldn’t be a choice because someone might choose something different from what you want. Makes no sense. Best of both worlds is obviously better?

1 Like

One thing that worries me a lot is that David Kim stated they wanted to implement Magic find in such a way that your gear does not suffer if you go to a magic find build.

In my opinion this is a bad decision.
You should be able to create different kind of builds and magic find characters while sacrificing either damage, defense or resistances.
Every Character that you create, build and customize should be able to fit in a specific role.
There should be for example Characters focusing in something.
This makes your Character feel unique on its own way.
examples.

1.PVP Character
2 Magic Find Character
3 Boss Killer Character
4 Wave clear/AOE clear Character

and maybe since there will be world bosses / greater rifts…

5 Support Class Character (still being able to beat the game on its own but a bit weaker than other classes and focusing on buffing/healing)
6 Greater Rift Carry Character

and so on…

Let there be meaning in the character you are creating, and of course be respec options for some cost, to be able to focus in another role if you get bored of being a MF or PVP or whatever role you chose to do first…

4 Likes

The problem is you have now forced my fire sorc to be the same as every other fire sorc. I’m now running around casting the same amount of fireballs as the next guy until I can cast my meteor which you have determined is only viable until I’ve casted “x” amount of fireballs.

This is the problem I have with generators and spenders.

That only worked because of poor balancing. Most of the skills were too good with just 1 point. Imagine if you needed to actually add to those skills to make them viable.

The problem with MF is that you end up spending 95% of your time playing your MF character if you aren’t doing PvP or playing around with a new build.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved D2, and made like 40+ characters…but at the end of it, there was almost 0 reason to not play my MF character when I got the other characters builds “semi/mostly completed”.

They should do MF as a “talisman”, “unique charm that is part of a crafting system”, or do something like GrimDawn with relics that carry MF. Possibly make MF a account wide system if you so choose.

1 Like

I dont see why this is a problem if Respec is added into the game and it doesnt punish you that hard.
By enabling “easier magic find” to your account you are telling blizzard that you want the game to be easier, and thats not something that many people enjoy too much (i personally would get bored since your character is stronger you will get something similar as farming greater rifts where tons of drops fly and you are overpowered to get easier loot).

The Sacrifice to be able to get better loot is to make the game harder for yourself BY yourself.

I have no problems with an extra charm bag as well for extra magic find.

I’d rather build the character I want and accept 10% less damage or whatever is necessary to gain the MF. The problem is if the itemization is good, you are gimping in less fun ways, by using items that provide MF rather than items that encourage fun builds.

I actually think they should add in a inferno difficulty for end game that allows the following, taken from a different thread: Normal Nightmare Hell like D2. CAN FIND ANY ITEM ON HELL DIFFICULTY
Player Cap is level 99. Monster level is 99.

Inferno Difficulty - ANY ITEM CAN DROP ANYWHERE Act 1-Act 5
Player Cap is level 99 Monster level is say 105 ACROSS ENTIRE DIFFICULTY
Monster variation is increased, monsters are given stronger abilities, maybe a few new monsters added in. NO SPECIAL DROPS FOR INFERNO AT ALL. DROP RATES ARE THE EXACT SAME AS HELL DIFFICULTY Possibly titles or cosmetic rewards at most

Inferno is meant as a challenge difficulty where you may also farm any part of the game for any item while still allowing players who don’t want the added challenge or requirement or additional playthrough, to still be able to find the items they want on hell difficulty.

I want a balance for all. It’s far more complex than just talking about MF or no MF.

A magic find system that can be used by all characters, and is gear independent (or rather, only indirectly gear dependent):
You slowly get an increasing MF bonus (probably just XP => bonus increasing). If you die, it is all lost. It should build up relatively fast early on, and then slower and slower, taking tens or even hundreds of ours to max (but there should certainly be a max - infinite power is bad)
Could even let this effect also increase the difficulty of enemies a bit (so it essentially worked like Players X, except you cant turn it on/off), or like the Survival bonus in Sacred 2.

Solves multiple issues at once. Creates a reasonable death penalty, which is important for making combat engaging. Creates a risk/reward from higher MF, similarly to what MF gear does in concept (problem is, too often, it fails at it, creating problematic imbalances between specs).
And it increases the value of going defensive, which otherwise tends to be undervalued compared to offensive speedy builds, leading to a better balanced game and more viable builds.

The trouble of it is that the majority of the time you would have those that would say either make it free for all or don’t join our group. You might even be hard pressed to find someone that would be okay with having private loot.

It is not the best of both worlds when others take advantage of the ones who make the choice to be free for all and then lose loot due to the ninja looter in the group.

What if the idea is that if you go without magic find that you get more items over the same amount of time. Thereby increasing your chances of finding better quality and rarity of items.

Then going the route of magic find means less gear but better chances of higher quality gear dropping. So both extremes would still net about the same quality of gear in the long run.

IIRC a fully decked out MF character in D2 didn’t have it raining uniques and high tiered runes from the sky like it does here in D3. Even at 300% MF means that you will get three times the chance of getting a magic or higher quality. If certain uniques have a .001% chance to drop then they have a .003% chance to drop with MF at 300%.

First of all I highly doubt that D4 will have three difficulties that will mean playing through the story three or four times like D3 did at launch. Playing through the campaign three to four times is something that I don’t think that too many developers will do since both D3 and PoE dropped that long time ago.

Also level 99 has to make sense for the game in order to be put into D4. What is wrong with Blizz wanting level 60 to start. Then through expansions raise it to level 100 or beyond. As long as the leveling takes a long time, much longer than it does now.

1 Like

So Inferno is just a “mod” instead of a playthrough. Was more of a ideal than a hard system. A goal to strive for.

Same with level cap, was just an example. The number doesn’t matter, the end result does.

I have an even better idea, why not make the level cap of D4 999. That way no one would ever reach it. The most anyone would ever do would be get to level 199. Those extra 800 levels are just there as numbers for showing purposes. There are not there with the idea that in time you would reach it.

Originally D3 had four difficulties and each one you had to play through the story to get to the next one. You started inferno where you played in Act one just like you did with the other difficulties. So you played the story a fourth time. You are someone that probably never played vanilla D3 which is okay.

It is like saying that they can’t make a game where level 60 is the accomplishment that you are looking for. It always has to be 99 just because D2 did it right.

There is so many ways that a game developer can take a level cap of 60 and make it a long journey to reach. Still it is reachable but not nearly as quick as 70 is in this game.

but it could be abused, by farming max level but easy groups/bosses nonstop to find all that juicy gear

Just dont allow best gear to drop outside of the “difficult” end-game (Key dungeoins etc).
If you can get gear in easier ways than others, people will move toward that no matter if there is an MF bonus or not.

I actually regrettably purchased the Collectors edition and took a week off work to play Vanilla D3. Played it solid for quite a while hoping it was better than I thought it was. That something would change if I just got a little further. Back when displaying the wings in game would incur the “sorry bro” response. I know all about all the kids crying about inferno mode, the auction house, some of my friends being unable to play due to the error 306 or w/e and Kripp beating it first etc etc etc etc etc The epic failure of vanilla D3 is burned into my memory.

I was actually agreeing with you on the level cap, which is quite hilarious being that you seem to have gotten the impression otherwise. Also the hilariousness that is the current paragon system is essentially your mocking proposal of 999. I only said 99 because it was an example, that yes was based on d2. Again, I was agreeing with you, it could be 60 or 20 or 99 or 150 or w/e for all I care. The number is insignificant. AGAIN I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU ON THAT PART On a side note, I had a 99 on d2 without botting. So ya, it was reachable, which was ironically, my Magic Find Nova Sorc of 1.09. lol

TBH i dont know if i support this idea, it really depends of the item RNG because you would alter the loot proportion without MF.
In D2 the ammount of items dropped by monsters also increased the more players that are in a party.

ok… to not confuse people, ill post this legend:

Quantity=common(white, magic items) = easy to find
Quality1= superior (white) items = harder to find
Quality2= rare, set,unique,mythic = even more harder to find

Therefore → Quantity over Quality1/Quality2 (No MF-Gear)

Id say Quality1 (superior white items) and magic items(Quantity) are affected by non-mf gear.(Quality 2 item find chances are low)

Then there is this:

Quality2(rares,set,uniques,mythic) chances increase together with Quantity(white/magic items) & Quality 1 (superior whites) with MF-Gear.

For MF gear quality2 should drop lesser as quantity (magic items AND rares), but still balancing it and not making it way too easy to find quality2 gear with MF, like with a diminishing curve… its designed like this.

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/images/9/97/Magic-find-diminishing-returns.jpg

This way Mythic and legendary items will be the hardest to find items, with sets,rares, superior, magic and white items being easier to find.

Yeah exactly, thats because of the graph posted i up… assuming developers go to this D2 route instead of D3 route and i guess some unique items should have a very low drop rate making them very hard to find despite having a lot of MF, same or similar could be applied to Mythic items, but at the same time balancing it.
I personally find D2 MF route more balanced than D3 MF route.
If runes will get additional features such as crafting items i would make them slightly magic find dependant, but if only to be able to roll higher Item level runes.

Very well said OP. Agreed 100%

1 Like

So you are saying you have no self control if you are given extra skill points and must put them into skills you have no plans to use?

I play iso ARPGs for the combat and loot. The class I choose it my characters identity which includes all the available skills and talents afforded to the kit. If it happens to be a fire mage one play through and I find some sweet Ice staff and ice legendary, I would love to equip them, swap out talents, and try it out to see if I like it better. I shouldn’t have to be penalized to do so. I shouldn’t have to farm for a rare item just to try it out. Then if I do and do not like it, then I have to farm for that rare again just to swap back. I could meet you guys in the middle and have specific mobs like the Keywardens that will drop the items needed, or if they have bounties, have the cache drop one. That way you can easily farm the mats, or heck, even let them be craftable.

Your choices are not meaningless if you choose not to use the tomes. That is on you. You can just ignore the tomes. As for your last part, this is basically what you could do. Nothing other than gimping yourself as you get higher in level. We will have to wait and see, but I’m willing to bet this would not be advantageous considering 50% of power comes from the character and not gear. So it would seem as if upping skill ranks will be necessary.

They were added 9 years after the game was launched.

1 Like

There were cookie cutter builds in D2 and in WoW prior to MoP and the removal of the talent trees. Not sure what you are getting at.