What happened to skull grasp?

Every guide I have looked at for ww doesn’t even mention it. Did something change I remember it being core for all ww builds in the past.

99.999999% WWrends damage is from rend so skull grasp was dropped for band of might.

3 Likes

Check the stickied guide for wrath of the wastes. It goes over the gear needed to maximize the damage from rend.

I’m hoping at some point they buff skull grasp so it makes WW competitive with rend for T16 and speeds. There’s more slots open for WW so having that choice would be a good thing.

All it would take is to change Skull Grasp to buffing WW and Rend.

1 Like

Yah just change the whirlwind text on grasp to rend so we can buff rend to the moon. I VOTE YES!!! And no more coe would be a bonus on top.

3 Likes

No, no. Currently it gives up to 400% damage to WW.
I want it to give up to 400% to WW AND Rend, not just Rend.

3 Likes

For T16s at least (and therefore, GRs up to between 75-80), it’s competitive now, at least with a certain amount of paragon.

Below a certain level of monster health, WW actually has the advantage of being able to kill stuff that isn’t right next to you.

Here’s a pretty average T16:

Setup used is here.

Isn’t an issue with pushing WW that all the AD makes the game lag really hard? The idea to put Rend as the main damager was to remove this interaction. I can see them making WW smoother for speeds, but not pushing imo.

Rend would do GR150 at P5k (if not lower) if that were the case lol.

Can never be too sure what Blizz intends to do but the #1 lag issue pre-rend buff was the interaction between ww dust devils and battle rage -blood funnel. Dust devils could proc area damage calculations well beyond what the game could handle. Now that rend can not crit you eliminate the #1 source without changing the build. WWrend is still very capable of lagging out the game but it is a lot harder. I die at least once every time I push from it.

1 Like

Lol, just realized I forgot to take Rend off the bar. Should be Battle Rage. Either Ferocity, for a little more speed, or Bloodshed, for some damage.

Speed rift WWRend is such a blast. Doing rifts or lower GRs in 1.5mins or faster is just too good.

The official recommendation from Maxroll uses Ambo and In-Geom in-hand and cubes Messer, with Rechel’s ring. Is that any better to your Crimson + BK swords?

Well, I’m doing GR 80s in about 1:20…

For T16s and GR’s of about that level, an all-WW setup is just as fast as a Rend setup.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not an issue for speeds though, just giant pulls when fishing. My ideal would be <GR100, WW wins, >GR105, Rend wins, with in between a toss up. Choices make the game interesting, and this has nothing to do with the fact that I have primal BK weapons with IAS on them :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah for sure. Archael had a guide back in the day (that I can’t find now) called something like “real speed”, that I used to zoom through T16. It’s very similar to your setup, and it hasn’t gotten any worse. I think he was using ingeom over EF, for 100% uptime on chilaniks and IP.

I still think juicing skull grasp could bring more balance to the two skills without threatening Rend at the top end. Either way, WotW is in a good place, so I’m not complaining, lol. I’d rather see IK and Raekors buffed.

I think that was actually a LoN setup, and he wrote that before the update to EF, Crimson’s, FoT, etc.

You could still play a version of that, with EF + In-Geom, Messerschmidt’s in the cube. My guess is that it would be a hair weaker and a hair slower than a Wastes setup now though, since you couldn’t get the fury regen, attack speed, and move speed of the BK blades.

The one I’m thinking of was definitely wastes, although I think Free made a LoN one…the windsh*tter?!

Later there was a streamer that came on the forum and tried to tell everyone that his WW speed build was the fastest, and Arch threw down and there was a bunch of drama :rofl:

There was some good stuff that got lost in the forum migration.

1 Like

Wear 5p wastes 2p crimson, rachels, bk’s, warzechian bracers, zodiac, hellfire
cube ambos, chilaniks, rorg
skills-warcry, sprint marathon, IP bravado, wrath, ww-hurricane, battle rage- ferocity.
passives boon of bulkathos, pound of flesh, the rest doesn’t matter. pick what you want.
gems are trapped or teaguk then boon of hoarder and gogok.

Things that can be substituted based on personal choice.

You can drop crimson for krelms 25% but cdr is more important as we spam all our abilities. If you go krelms route you can slot pandemonium loop in place of rorg.
Threatening should can be taken instead of battle rage for more speed but you create higher demand for cdr.
Fear on helm is recommended for better uptime on rachel’s

Years of messing with builds this is the best t16 combo. It is enough cdr to spam abilities with almost top speed. Using krelms and shout you can achieve higher max speed but you can’t spam your other abilities.

Yes. The build got a buff/redesign that included rend damage in the 6 pc and a Ambos Pride got a legendary power that made WW auto-apply rend and make its total damage dealt over 1 second (instead of the default DoT). Lamentation also got a buff to Rend damage in addition to letting Rend stack.

These changes mean that now the majority of damage comes from Rend, not WW, so the buff to WW damage is a pretty minor buff.

Hmm, I tried out your setup and at my 3500p (about 25k Str) I actually have a little trouble killing things as quickly as I’d like. The move speed is definitely outstanding.

Tell you what: I’m going to run 10 rifts with your setup, 5 T16s and 5 GR 75s. I’ll record my times. For the T16s, I’m going to stop to pick up all Legendaries and Set items, and time will end when the RG dies. If I hit a goblin patch or something else weird happens, I’ll set aside that rift and not record it, to avoid sandbagging the time.

Will you do the same for an all-WW setup? With your Str being probably double mine, I’m really curious to see how it feels to you.

So that’s:
Wastes 5p, Crimson 2P, BKs, Warzechian, Zodiac, Skull Grasp, Squirt’s.
Cube: EF, Chilaniks, RoRG
Skills: WC, Sprint, IP Bravado, WOTB, WW-your choice, BR: Ferocity
Passives: Weapons Master, Boon, Pound of Flesh, Rampage
Gems: Gogok, Taeguk, Gizzard

Or, if you want, since you’ve probably got twice my damage already, you could dump Squirt’s/Gizzard in favor of Something Else/Hoarder or Wreath.

I’d just wear a hellfire ammy. At my paragon everything is trivial. I can even run 4 man t16 and still kill everything instantly. I have gone thru a few iterations since we actually don’t want too much damage that mobs die before they proc Rachel’s. So it’s an ongoing evolution. I’m actually close to dropping Teague for wreath as my next change. I will give your build a run.

1 Like

You’ll definitely get more move speed from dropping Squirt’s, though even for you, the double damage might come in handy in certain instances.

One of the good things about the all-WW setup is that enemies far from you who get hit by DDs will die, as compared to the 9 yard radius that Rend gets applied. And doubling your damage may help ensure that an enemy even nicked by a single DD bites the dust. Then again, at your paragon they may die from one DD tick even without Squirt’s. Your call… I’m very curious to hear how it goes for you!

Edit: Ok, here are my times.

Using your setup:

T16s: 1:33, 2:30, 1:50, 2:02, 2:15. Average 2:02
GR 75s: 1:29, 1:35, 2:00, 1:50, 1:26. Average 1:40

Using all-WW setup:

T16s (on one of these, I got an insane 1-level Desolate Sands in 1:03, so I threw out that time): 1:41, 1:23, 1:44, 1:26, 1:27. Average 1:32
GR 75s: 1:26, 1:21, 1:21, 1:41, 1:28. Average 1:27

Sample size is, of course, too small to really be conclusive. And, maybe I’m just bad at playing your setup. But for me at any rate, I seem to be quicker at these T16s and low GRs when I load all my damage into WW.

Also (sorry buddy, I couldn’t resist!):

4 Likes