Valla's Bequest Interaction *SOLVED*

According to Wudijo.
Vallas’s Bequest works because the auto generators are procced on a Strafe hit. Y’know the little worthless BB gun strafe that does no damage.
Why it works this way, we don’t know.
So Strafe piercing means more chances to proc an auto cast generator.

I couldn’t tell in his video what he said, either 15% or 50% more damage.

1 Like

He said 10-50% buff fluctuation.

1 Like

And it should be both dependent on density and how mobs are arranged. If you can get high mob density and sort of strung out in long lines where you get more hits from your Strafe/Valla’s pierces, that should be where you get the most additional GoD4 procs?

If it’s vs a single target RG, or a smaller pack where stuff is kind of spread out and you don’t get a lot of extra hits from the Valla’s pierced Strafe projectiles, in which case you won’t really get any additional GoD4 procs and Valla’s isn’t really doing anything for you?

I can’t speak upon Vallas Bequest since I dont have a good one anymore and haven’t tried it…But it’s pretty obvious that large pulled together packs die much faster as opposed to small packs or solo monsters. The 70% increase per pierce is huge and you can definitely feel the effects.

I heard “10-15”… “10-50” would be kind of a weird range to give, but, certainly possible.

Based on Wudi’s analysis, what’s happening kind of sounds to me like an animation / icd interaction. The one of these that is the best known is the one with Stricken, of course.

If you’re using an attack that triggers every 10 frames, for instance, the ICD ends up being something less than 10 frames. The attack itself can only “go as fast as it goes”, i.e. in this example, every 10 frames. But if you have a secondary/auxilliary attack with a proc rate, this can hit in the interval (and stack Stricken) between the ICD elapsing and the animation of the main attack being ready again.

So: perhaps the generation of primaries via Strafe is pegged to a certain rate of Strafe hits, with an ICD based on that rate. But when the same Strafe projectile can pierce, and hit multiple targets, it results in the primaries being generated closer to the ICD rate, rather than the animation rate of Strafe.

There’s a similar effect with Bastion’s Revered, which results in a higher Stricken stacking rate when you have more targets around you.

Anyway, just a thought.

3 Likes

That’s not what red herring means.

They’re either using Valla’s because it’s actually helping despite the OP tests or for a lark (placebo effect?) because hey it’s a strafe item and a strafe build.

If they were truly using it as a red herring, that would imply there’s some secret unknown item they’re using but their build shows they’re using Valla’s instead. That’s impossible, though, because they can’t swap out the hypothetical unknown weapon during the GR. Rather, they are actually using Valla’s in their high GR clear.

Reminds me of Season 19 when Barbarians cleared GR 150 with Zei’s. Folks copied them without any sort of understanding why they were using it. Oh dang, I just described the bandwagon effect.

1 Like

It’s 10-50%. Wudi writes it down in the video description.

1 Like

That’s not the definition I’m looking at, but it doesn’t matter in the end. The bug doesn’t exist until it’s confirmed by people who know what they’re doing.

Thanks for this information, so ¿what other 1h crosbow can you recomend apart from the dawn ?

once again thank you.

Viable alternatives:

Fortress Ballista for the toughness/healing gained via shield. This can let you more easily attack from oculus ring bubbles for a sizeable damage boost (especially at lower paragon when toughness is still an issue).

Other options involve using a bow or two-hand crossbow and cubing the Dawn. There are a number of options here such as Odyssey’s End, Etrayu, or any high base-damage crossbow just for the damage per hit.

Edit: until we get to the bottom of the Valla’s Bequest issue, I don’t want to recommend Valla’s Bequest except for its ability to proc Thrill of the Hunt on multiple targets or that it has a 5th primary ability. K’mar’s Tenclip also has the same 5th primary capability if you roll off its Strafe damage roll.

Edit 2: I removed the suggestion of the Calamity since I forgot that the bonus is applied on the next hit after the Mark for Death is applied. Since a Calamity-based build would switching the marked target almost constantly until the rift guardian, it isn’t a reliable or useful hand-crossbow to use.

2 Likes

Wudijo doesn’t know what he’s talkin about? Dam bro, you’re all over the place…Wudijo is probably one of (if not the) most respected D3 DH players that currently still plays.

3 Likes

I’m seeing better clears on maps with big mobs. But Vallla seems to do almost nothing on corridor maps and when there are only a few mobs on the screen, which is consistent with Wudijo’s findings. It doesn’t always speed up the runs, but on occasion you can clear mobs faster with the right maps.

I don’t think all these guys are equipping Valla for nothing. But as a number of people pointed out, there are other ways of gearing to achieve good results. The fact that you can use so many bows with the set is kind of the best part I think instead of locking you into only 1 or 2 weapons.

2 Likes

Never said that. False attribution.

This is why I don’t like posting in these forums. People aren’t interested in whatever point is actually being made; they’re just poised to intentionally misread, misquote, or misinterpret in any way necessary to invalidate a statement.

Respond to the words I actually used, not the ones you wish I used.

Can you clarify this? When I run Calamity, I see the Mark on more than one mob. Also, seems like the AD rune should be insanely high damage in tight pulls, unless it’s not working like normal AD.

Unfortunately, Iria’s and DiE’s video tests didn’t pick up on what Wudijo is claiming. Wudijo by all means has the credibility and a video of his regarding Vallas was just posted in this very thread. Did you, yourself, not watch the video?

And you’re claiming “we’re all buying it”…What exactly are we buying into? We are all questioning the validity of using Vallas and what sense does it make, trying to figure out why and how it’s topping the leaderboards if there is any sensible reasoning to it at all, be it legit or some sort of bug or what not.

Until a couple hours ago theres really no reasoning behind whats happening behind Vallas with Wudijo’s video. It’s all still just a bandwagon effort at this moment because people are building towards something and they don’t even know why, other than people in the top 12 of the leaderboard are using it.

Your entire response is an agreement with my statements. Not sure what you’re getting at with this.

I know where you want to go from here, but it’s not going to have the intended effect. You can continue trying to corner me with faulty logic, but don’t expect any response other than flagging. I tried to be reasonable about it, but it’s not working.

I recommend that we go back to the topic of the thread instead of trying to pursue ad hominem tactics on someone it’s not going to gain you any ground with. There is nothing else to say on the matter.

Now…if anyone has more information about further testing, that I will listen to.

I don’t think they would, unless in their multitarget scenario they had the wolf lined up with the dummy person. I couldn’t quite tell from the video, but it looked like the wolf was off to the side a bit?

According to wudijo, the extra GoD4 procs can happen when a Strafe projectile pierced via Valla’s hits another enemy. Although it doesn’t seem to happen like that all the time, so it seems a bit uncertain when and exactly how many extra GoD4 procs you’ll get. Hence the variable dps boost wudijo was noticing.

If the wolf wasn’t directly in line with the dummy in Iria and DiE’s testing, they wouldn’t see that effect, and it wouldn’t look like any extra procs (and so more DPS) was happening.

You’d need to specifically test with multiple targets exactly lined up in order to see what wudijo saw.

2 Likes

This is kind of what I was getting at with my testing. If it was just Valla’s Bequest, then simply slotting it would produce a measurable effect. In my tests (which were by no means as in-depth as Iria’s), this effect was not present.

If there is an interaction between the item in question and something else, or “certain conditions”, then that needs to be investigated. The item alone? I didn’t see it.

Then again…I didn’t specifically line up enemies for the firing squad.

LoL you know you can put on generic armor all res items and roll off the dex , like aquila to test this kinda stuff… lower torment etc… this isnt something that should be an issue while testing if you have a good amount of mats…

did i hear him say that he couldnt see area damage numbers cuz white numbers werent turned on… shouldnt you be controlling the AD # like 0% then try 100%

I do like how you are testing with a controlled Hit Point Value, consider that there are also interactions that are super involved with mob type as well… but I doubt elite label from other player would have a factor here, but agro range etc for stuff like Rift Guardians are completely diff than elites or normal mobs…

Also controlled environment wont always produce the desired results theres a lot of random variables in a GR that could produce different effects depending on bug… I dont know your history with D3 but some of these bugs have been fairly abstract…

I mean ffs thorns used to cause proc’s to proc more often if there was a DoT effect on the mob

Also APS may have a very direct effect on this, I wonder also if proc chance is coming into play as people tend to be using Rocket Storm over the logical lightning rune

5th edit… BTW for testing stricken stacking always find an independent value that a pet hits for (you want it to be a pet because pets cannot stack stricken) for constantly put stricken on knowing its %… Test over a fixed duration, then record the value your pet hits for after then use math to figure out how many stacks that increased damage % is … testing the time it takes to kill with another multiplier and a crit chance *because base 5% will still mess with results

This doesnt seem placebo to me man… Theres a threshold on "placebo effect’ when its outperforming a 2x multiplier you can say something is at least going on… if everyones using it… This set though almost more than any other has shown weird interactions because EF shouldnt have that great results but it seems to be on level. Oddessey logically should be bar none the best… even if you only fire your primary during cold.

1 Like