Underwhelming season theme

Think I’ve played every season since like season three, sometimes less, sometimes more. I’m usually at least cleating out the season journey, even if I already have the cosmetics, but this time I feel really unmotivated to do so.
Season 31’s theme is letting you put whetever power in Kanai’s cube into whatever slot, which is something I’ve always said should be there from the start. This a running theme with this game - introduce a nice new mechanic and limit the burning hells out of it. Legendary gems came out, I was like: “Cool, gonna stick them in all the sockets”, only rings and amulets. Kanai’s cube came out, “Cool, gonna use all the weapons powers”, only one weapon, one armor and one jewelry. Recipe to turn item into primal ancient came out, “Cool, gonna turn my whole gear”, can use only one item modified like this.
When Kanai’s cube was announced I was expecting being able to use the number of powers equal to your gear slots, so it’s like 13 or something and instead it was just 3 and heavily limited too. Now you’re doing this season theme that let’s you have two weapon powers (which I won’t be surprised if it goes to off-season later as well), which just feels like too little too late to me. All this does is make me think of cool stuff you could do if you could have 13 slots for anything.

Agreed that this one isn’t high on the awesomesauce list. But, could be worse - it could have been “here’s double bounties.”

The rest of your post though, feels more like unreasonable expectations on your end. If you’ll recall, when GR’s were first implemented, the pitch was “infinite scaling” and it was never “intended” that anyone would reach the “cap” of 150 ever. Flash forward several years, and now people are capping it within the first week.

Part of that is skill and knowledge, and part of it is luck, no doubt. Part of it is power creep though. 13 cube slots would utterly decimate any challenge whatsoever. The challenge would actually be finding 13 “meaningful” slots. Full crafting primal sounds great, for anyone who’s never used a save game editor on D2 or attempted to play D4’s “endgame.” There’s no point in shooting if there’s nothing to shoot for. If legendary gems were allowed in all slots, why have regular gems?

4 Likes

I do agree that the theme is underwhelming for most classes, especially if you like playing Barbarian, but Kanai’s cube was a good addition to the game and I do like that you couldn’t stack any item on any slot. It balanced the classes a bit, unlike the current theme that clearly favors only one class. And like CalciumChief mentioned, it’s better than Double Bounties. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That would have drove off the last 12 of us that are still playing. :sob:

3 Likes

Must be more than 12 if not all ranks in the leaderboards are bots… :robot:
:sunglasses:

…not an option… :wink: Updated the Season Selector:

1 Like

What I can’t get is some body that has played most all of the seasons. Was told that after season 30 you will only have all older seasons. Plus NO new seasons will be coming.

What did you expect it was going to be something magically new!!! The only people this is going to help. The people that still need the stash spaces and rewards. The new people that haven’t played the older seasons.

After a great recycled theme, the Soul Shards, the next recycled one is a letdown. Some of us were expecting one of better themes to be recycled, like the Ethereals. However we got Unrestricted Cube instead which was underwhelming back in S20 already. It heavily favors necro and only some other builds from other classes might make some use out of it.

3 Likes

I am excited for the “open cube” theme, never played that season when it first aired.

1 Like

I think on the less popular seasonal themes, they need to combine more than one theme or add to them to make them more interesting. Season 31 theme definitely fits this category.

1 Like

Be happy - could have been Tempests…

1 Like

It is basicly like playing non season without the high paragon. Just tried a few runs on non season…oh boy I felt weak😂 I guess the altar is better than 4k paragon and a few cool speed builds + Necro will give me some enjoyment

1 Like

The thing is from now on you might get a lot these too. You just have to live with what they give you and be happy with it. We have 4 accounts in the family. 3 of them will not even bother with this next season. The one will because it still needs a stash space & the rewards.

Air horn sound effect (youtube.com) - like that one?
:sunglasses:

I was contemplating whether to skip S31 entirely but after doing couple GRs I was already annoyed with the lack of QoL benefits the Altar brings, like not needing to worry about picking progress orbs. So despite the underwhelming theme I think I’ll play S31. And obviously SSF.

But which class, that’s the conundrum. Maybe monk this time…

3 Likes

Next season is intentionally a snorefest because they need to do everything possible to prop up failure D4, no matter how small

/tinfoil hat

Ethereals or the original altar would’ve been better

1 Like

Honestly, I really liked the theme of having unrestricted cube slots, it was one of my favorites. I understand that not every theme is for every person though, and that’s okay. Now would be the perfect time for you to take a break and play something else you love, or maybe try a new game that you might fall in love with. Regardless of what you do though I hope you enjoy. Happy gaming, friend :slight_smile:

I’ve never tried a season like this before so I am excited to try out the Cube and see what kinds of new wacky builds I can come up with.
Also, it looks like we get the Alter too for some extra game buffs.

1 Like

I’m excited for this next season theme because i missed it the first time around. I want my Tyrael treasure gobbo pet! Plus, the open cube will be a new thing to me :smiley:

1 Like

2 more days… almost there! Still not decided what to play :rofl:

2 Likes

Me neither. I think I’ll start with a DH since the starter set is easy to complete for finishing season journey and Alter of Rites. Then I’ll decide which direction to go. Maybe a wizard or even a Necro.

2 Likes

WD to begin, like always, and surely a Necro later.

The only thing I know is that I will play a lot less this season than the previous.

And surely in SSF like the previous.

1 Like