Ultrawide Screen Black Bars? Realy?

There was no problem till they created the black bars.

6 Likes

There was no problem for us UW owners. Standard 16:9 users and especially PvP players got different opinion about that. The problem is in original game mechanics, well at least according to Rod Fergusson Tweet on 20th of August. Still no promissed blue post about it. So lets call it “semi-blue post”. But why this post is dated on 20th of August and not somewhere at the begining of the year? Because they realized that after alfa, Im sure about it! Which leads to my conclusion on my previous post. Noone even checked playability of the nearly final product, untill few players found the problem during alfa tests. Not Blizzard devs themselves. What a shame…

4 Likes

I find it interesting that all of these game companies act like UW is such an after thought that not 1 person tested it in a game (this does not include just Blizzard).

Anyone competent enough testing a game would easily be able to see if there was an additional spell range, how monsters interacted with outside a 16:9/4:3 area, what graphics would look like, UI behavior, etc.

That’s where I’m more and more curious what the QA testing is at these development companies. You can easily see and address all of those concerns/issues within a few hours. Specifically meant for ultrawide and if it works well within the game system.

Now my opinion of the matter - I doubt Blizzard devs were not already aware of the shortcomings and what is entailed by supporting UW (the guy who said it btw was the head of D2 lead design, who also talked in depth of the technology to bring from old D2 to Resurrected). I believe that they were all in good with how the game operated at 21:9 and 32:9 and pushed it through to alpha testing. Afterwards, seeing a blacklash of PvP community and a streamer or two that complained about it not being “fair”, they rescinded support.

The only one that has responded was the head of Diablo franchise itself, Rod. That tells me a couple of things. It was enough of a PR concern (they’re in hot water anyways as a company right now), that it got the attention and involvement of the Rod. They are trying to be as diplomatic about it as possible since they were waiting until after beta to create a tailored response. This will more than likely be drafted a few different times before being approved by Rod before it goes out and is made official. I’m assuming even right now they are weighing out which direction they will go and have a solution that will appease enough of both crowds to not push negative reception and give Blizz a worse outlook.

If the response comes just a couple days after beta to me that is a good sign in that they will have a preferable solution that can appease majority of PvP and UW users. However, if it comes out just a couple of days or even a week before launch, then that would be worst-case. They would have not been able to come up with a sufficient solution and wanted to abide time just prior to release so that they hope not as many people see it to refund before launch and not get as much negative press regarding it.

Time will tell, but I’m hopeful for the solution to work for both parties.

1 Like

Has there been an official response yet on the black bars issues?

Right time to start making memes about this, the first one that comes to mind is from the song “Paint it black”

1 Like

I see a wide screen and I want to paint it black, No PVP player will complain if we back track, We supported wide screen in HOTS and D3, but I would rather play on a big TV.

https:// i.imgur. com/2Bm07Qy.png

1 Like

google must have ganked whatever you were linking…I dont see it

That tweet from Rod basically telling us that UW was too hard to implement. Was he saying that the game is already in 19:9 or that they are going to make it 19:9 at launch?

At launch. It was already around 19:9 in beta for ultrawide. 21:9 or 32:9 screens will be forced to 19:9.

I would guess 16:9 won’t change.

So there’s still a tiny advantage for ultrawide. 16:9 people could probably force 19:9 somehow and have black bars on the top and bottom of their screens.

1 Like

You know, you brought up a good point. Forcing resolutions.

In AMD and Nvidia graphic panels, you can force resolutions. How about 16:9 resolution users (if they want an “advantage”) they can force UW resolutions through the panels and just have black bars on top and bottom. There we go, win for everyone =)

3 Likes

This was brought up and the PVP crowd started crying that they couldn’t play like that, ironic I know.

6 Likes

It really doesn’t surprise me, even though that’s the exact thing we’re bringing to attention. The ones that have been vocal about UW being too much of an advantage and saying to “quit whining” sure do like to make their voices heard when something like WSG has been adjusted. The fact that we’ll at least entertain and give suggestions for a middle ground is more than enough for me to not feel sympathetic towards any PvP changes if they are so rigid.

It doesn’t make sense to me that they don’t want changes, but PvP has changed and evolved so many times over the years.

2 Likes

Frankly if it’s a PV issue give me a single-player only wide screen id be happy with it.

2 Likes

For the d2r,I bought a expensive monitor and 3080ti.And you give me two pieces of s-h-i-t black bars!Jesus Christ!i am an obsession!

4 Likes

It’s even worse, now they are considering “zooming in” as an option to fill the screen for the many ultrawide players.

1 Like

If they are dead set on not letting us play 21:9 without black bars, i rather take 19:9 zoomed in to get rid of the black bars.

The black bars are really KILLING the immersion and gaming experience, but of course i would rather be playing in 21:9 on my 38" LG

4 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/br1k1lY.jpg

That in an arpg game is killer, same level as the black bars.

Yeah but wouldn’t 19:9 zoomed in just be a 16:9 stretched out? lol

If they tried this what would probably happen, (for a vast majority of games that do it wrong and mess up the aspect ratio), is it would fill your screen sure but it would chop off the top and bottom of what you should see.

What I’ve encountered is they’ll zoom in to fit the screen lengthwise (such as with 21:9 or 32:9), but what it will end up doing is the information on the top and bottom of your screen will fall off. So in essence you’ll up with actually a REDUCTION in viewable area compared to 16:9. Yeah it fills it in, but it’s more like you’re seeing 16:7 or 16:8, just stretched to fit your display.

1 Like