🐉 Typhon's Veil Focused Feedback

I would be fine if they change the deathwish and etched sigil to only work for channeling skills. Right now everyone is using it. Doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Update: I’ve added a few more points to the mechanics section and also collapsed that section by default as the OP was getting too long.

Added my feedback to a feedback section of the OP as it appears that we won’t get an update to the bugs immediately:

I also added a section for “existing bug reports” some of these contain things I was going to put in the Feedback section, but seeing as they are already accounted for, I figured that would be redundant.

I’ll try and begin adding to the discussion when I have time - PTR testing, squee! :grin: :hugs:

I’d like to discuss everyone’s opinion of the Magistrate’s legendary power. Would we rather have the Frost Nova completely removed or not? It has applications using Mammoth Hydra, particularly in solo, but in group play it could be very bad.

Honestly, I wish the proc was a damage thing. Frost Nova doesn't thematically fit the build when we'll be using Mammoth hydra. I'd rather have Hydra casting the associated elemental ***Wave of Force***. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on how this might work. 

If a 5-headed Hydra cast Wave of Force with each head, that’s 5x 390% WD or 1950% total WD.

if Mammoth Hydra cast Wave of Force, it would be 390% weapon damage.

This would go a long way towards balancing the Hydras between sets; make more thematic sense, and give the people who have been clamoring for a WoF build what they want. But this might overwhelm the 600% bonus and that might need to be reduced. I’m OK with that.

Agreed that in most cases the 15 second interval would serve fine, however, I can see usefulness for builds that require a lot of setup AND have the time to stay put, such as in higher GRs. So, builds that use: CoE cycle + Dynamo +BH or Attunement, might benefit from the longer duration.

I could see where it would be interesting to shift the loss of heads mechanic into loss of duration, similar to scythe of the cycle. Then the extra duration would definitely make sense.

I’m inclined to agree. I’m not sure if a rebalance of multipliers for Deathwish and Etched Sigil or taking the move to exclude the channeling playstyle from the set in some manner would be the better approach, but both sound like good options.

The two piece “extended duration” doesn’t make much sense to me. This build has to be played with Channeling. I’d like to see it changed to something of more benefit. Attack Speed on hydras. Hydras doing area damage. Hydras following you.

Would be an okay mechanic for speeds perhaps, and moreso if the set has more interactivity. For pushing, you definitely want to be positioning the Hydras yourself. Auto repositioning would be annoying on high level speeds or push.

A player activated Hydra recall that could port hydras near your position would be more interesting.

If included in the right way, I can definitely see other spells making for a good playstyle. Personally I think signatures go well with Hydra, and are fairly engaging to use together. So many legendary gems though…

However, the spells or items used in conjunction don’t necessarily have to be doing damage themselves. I’ve always had loads of fun using Pain Enhancer, and I see a lot of players on the PTR are enjoying Ranslor Twister or Black Hole pulls to maneuver enemies into better position.

The extra second required channeling change definitely makes it even more difficult to move. Now we have to stand and channel longer to take advantage of not only DW+ES but ensure CoE has uptime during the channel.

It’s reminiscent of LoN/LoD Rapid Fire, except our stationary pets are dealing the damage. As soon as you stop channeling and move you lose DPS. Definitely makes it harder to pull or kite enemies together, or towards a pylon.

Channeling also takes up a very precious skill slot too. I think being able to fit in Teleport or another defensive or utility skill would be nice.

As an indirect inconvenience, Wizard is one of the only classes that doesn’t have CC immunity readily available for non-archon form. Even though it’s difficult to play without it, I think this can be considered a good thing - in the very least it puts you on a decision to choose CC immunity or partial immunity vs other damage options for channeling. It think the issue here is that more often than not, players choose to sacrifice utilty instead of damage to gain some of the CC immunity (Krelm’s, Ice climbers). This leads to a less interactive build than perhaps could have been.

I wonder how buffed Manald Heal would have to be for Lightning Hydra to be competitive as an RGK. 30,000 weapon damage? :stuck_out_tongue: Should be something like "Enemies stunned by Paralysis take 250% (or whatever, I just picked a number out of ther air) damage for Y seconds. Would be a MUCH better legendary power.

I will drop here my latest post. Sorry for repeated post. Please Cratic read these ideas. Maybe you’d like to add these in your post.

Hello everyone. As like everybody I was excited with the new wizard set. Yes this set can be counted as solely Hydra / pet set but can also open new horizons with my suggestions. These ideas can also fix some problems and will introduce players a choice between LoD game play style or Typhoon game play style.

As for my ideas, they derive from the name typhoon (a Greek mythological creature of thunders, storms, volcanos who wrecks devestation and threaten Zeus’ kingdom). These implementation would surely result in very different and diverse builds. Here are my so desired change log:

Hydra
2p: Summons your Hydras by yourside when you use teleport and increase the number of heads on multi-headed Hydras by two.
4p:Damage taken is reduced by 8% AND MOVEMENT SPEED IS INCREASED BY 3% for each Hydra head alive as long as there is one available. Each time you take damage, only the EXTRA Hydra heads dies.
6p: Force spells (Wave of force, meteor, Hydra, energy twister, blizzard) deal 2000% increased damage for each Hydra head alive. You can no longer use Secondary spells (Arcane orb, Disintegrate, Arcane torrent, Ray of frost).

please add animation to indicate shield health.
then we can know when shield is gone and hydra head can die assuming the shield hydra bug gets fixed

I love the idea of using teleport with the new set and keeping away channeling of it. Any idea it’s better than another channeling build.

Pls Nevalist, make it happen. The suggested 6p bonus is what the wiz class should already be. DW and ES is the PRIME FACTOR of all wiz problems as a class.

This!!
If an old game like POE can display shield just fine, no reason D3 can’t.

PoE may be “old”, but has waaaay more active dev’s, and waaaay more income than D3 at this point.

I like most of these especially the 4 piece set bonus. For the 6 piece I don’t think Meteor should be there. It is already in the Tal Rasha/LoN-LoD version.

Perhaps work mirror image in instead. “Using mirror image buffs hydra for 2000% and cast hydras as well dealing x amount of percentage of your damage”

Completely agree, I’ve seen this suggestion from other players as well, and it fits in line with my thought that the set needs some base level of toughness. The only downside to this approach is that you need a Hydra summoned, so map level starts can be tricky, but there are many builds that contend with this. At least with this change, as long as the first thing you do when entering a rift is summon Hydra, you should be fine.

I don’t like this as an idea for the 6 piece. Sure, it would definitely kill off the Channeling version, but it also fully excludes that option.

There are also many non -channeling spells that the wizard has that could also be used more effectively while standing still, and especially on RG kills, it can be good to not have to move around too often (some players just don’t like the whirlwind esque visual of ‘ring around the RG’).

If you increase the duration of the bonus after moving, then Channeling can benefit from it also, so there’s no workaround there.

Welcome back!

I can see that change, but I doubt the set appearance will be modified at this point. My biggest issue with the looks is the helm, it doesn’t fit well. I love the shoulders though.

I think 10-15% life would be a better amount, with a cap on how many heads you could lose (as previously mentioned, no less than 3 per hydra). I think I like the idea of an ICD with getting hit better though. Unless there is more interactivity with the life% amount, I see little interest to go that route vs. an ICD. Big hits would immediately take away 4 heads, and I do not think that would be as fun.

I don’t like that this orb would force you to use Hydra with Blizzard in every build, not just the set.

When considering as a potential set bonus, I can see blizzard as being a potential buffing skill, but I’d prefer it have it’s own method of damage and own build if being included.

Blizzard currently doesn’t stack, but it would be great if it could. This would really ramp up the damage, in addition to some tuned multipliers on the 6 piece. That’s more what I had in mind. Set wise, it would be similar to how Aegis of Valor works between the two skills. You can opt for a pure blizzard build, or a blizzard + Hydra buffing build where Blizzard increases the damage of Hydra and lends utility (likely with potential freezes or PE stacking capability).

As mentioned in the OP, my big issue is mixing the multiplier with a CC effect. I can certainly see options of removing the multiplier, and improving or changing the CC capabilities of Magistrate (perhaps longer duration of freeze, or a pixel pull + immobilize combo?).

I can also see your suggestion of Hydras using spenders with an armor item. I think this type of bonus (if implemented) should be reserved for the set, so as to prevent any Etched sigil + Magistrate (spender casting) channeling setups with LoD.

Excellent point, what if the two piece was:

Increase the number of heads on multi-headed Hydras and Hydras now periodically cast Wave of Force.

Could we all live with that? We could just remove the Frost Nova on Magistrate and tack on the double duration there. I think this would close the gap between LoN and TV. If we’re not too far into “Pie in the Sky” territory.

I dont want to say something against your Idea, but than all hydra items have to increase wave of force damage + the hydra set has to increase wave of force damage in addition. Oherwise it wont effect anything at all. the 400% weapondamage not increased by skill or set bonus are like 49 times weaker than hydra modifier and 100 times weaker due to set bonus. which makes every 1% damage 4900 times weaker than hydra. Even when hydra set affecting wave of force damage this wouldnt do much. Without support legendary it would still be a ~3-4% damage incrase or something like 0,25 Gr increase. Arkan rune of wave of force on the other hand would be interesting because of it buffing effect but damage wise in the current game not relevant at all.

It would be modified by the TV set bonuses for 10,000% more damage. The Hydra is casting it! 390% weapon damage x 10,0000 x 2.

The goal here to a) make Magistrate more thematical, b) lower the obnoxious 600% multiplier on Magistrate, c) close the gap between LoN Mammoth and TV Frost Hydras.

still missing supporting items (49 times damage increase by hydra items for example). I wouldnt be too flattered of an 3-4% overall damage spell at best. Seems just not too relevant for me than if the hydra items themselfs arent increasing wave of force damage in addition.

I need you to walk me through your math. You have (2) Hydras casting 390% weapon damage every Y seconds, plus a 450% damage modifier for all hydra damage.

compared to 600% Hydra damage currently on Magistrate.

I understand your idea right that hydras should cast wave of force instead of the frost nova ?

Ok than lets have quick math. lets asume wave of force is having 400% weapon damage. if it is increased by 10.000% by set 400*100 = equivalant of 40.000% weapon damage. Hydra damage for example frost hydra is 255% weapon damage we have 450% increase by your new magistrate and sparker by 600%.

It is 7*5,5 = 38,5 times modifier. so we have here 9817,5% weapondamage equivalant of hydra. now this is increased by 10.000 or 100, it is than 981.750% weapon damage. Totall weapon damage 981.750+ 40.000( wave of force) = 1.021.750% weapondamage totall with your new and better version.

old version of 600% veil and no wave of force
255% weapondamage *49 = 12495% again 10.000% increase = 1.249.500% weapondamage equivalent.

in your version Wave of force is doing 40.000% weapon damage in comparison to 981.750% weapondamage of hydra itself it is 4,07% of your totall damage.

The 150% decrease of hydra damage result in a nerf of
227.750% weapondamage. (1.249.500-1.021.750)

Now you have some numbers dont want to count how much gr hydra drops because of your idea. But it is very easy see to this even without any math at all. An Skill with 0 supporting legendary power cant do damage. In our “time of power creeped skills” a skill is doing nothing without high modifiers for itself. Only exeption is archon because there are no modified skills in it.