TurboHud, Bannable or Not?

So what constitute a cheater? Is it the moral stance of some pleb players who are more active on forums?

Blizzard know as of right now there are certain aspects of this game they have not been able to control. Now that D4 has been announced they are back tracking to give us the players , the illusion that they all of a sudden are going to clean up this game in the hope that D4 will 3rd party application free.

2 Likes

Wise man say, Cheaters only cheat themselves.

1 Like

Seems like this would be the case. Something that is created with the intention to prevent D4 to turn into the bot fest D2/D3 are.

Thanks for sharing. It almost convinced me to download and install it, although I know I won’t. At least, not until it’s approved by Blizzard. Still, I learned a lot about this add-on and its creator that I never knew before.

Thanks!  

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way. I’m just curious. But, what is the difference between “quality of life improvements” and “cheat tools”?

For example, when D3 was first released, we did not have yellow arrows on the mini-Map to point the way to Quests and Events to complete or Bosses to kill. Blizzard added this later and we called it a QoL improvement. But, when a third-party add-on program shows the locations of groups of monsters on the mini-Map we call it “MapHack” or a “cheat tool”.

Disclaimer

I’m not supporting or rejecting the use of TurboHUD or similar programs. In my opinion, a “cheat program” (or tool) allows the player to modify their Character and gear (simply put). THUD appears to be an information display program from what I can tell so far.

My decision not to use these types of programs is not because it’s “cheating”. It’s because I want the best performance my computer can give me during a game session. I have a decent gaming rig, but I even have the Blizzard Desktop App set to exit completely when I click the Play button.

One final note: If using TurboHUD is considered cheating because it gives players an unfair advantage, then couldn’t the same thing be said about programs like Discord? Isn’t being able to talk to other players during a game session giving players an advantage over players that are not using a voice-chat program in a Private Solo game?   (Just some “food for thought”).  

And this probably sums it all up. I just wish Blizzard would come to a decision as to their stance on the issue. (Not because I want to use it. But, so we can stop seeing these types of threads keep popping up in the Forums.   )

2 Likes

I didn’t use turbohud but there are alot of QoL features of TurboHUD: It would be nice to integrate some of the options in D4.

2 Likes

How about now? What are we waiting for exactly?

For me personally this is even more important than upcoming DH patch.
If you guys do this the right way… you will regain a lot of trust of community.
If you only do some cosmetic “changes” it will be a disaster.

1 Like

If you followed closely you would see that is exactly what they have been doing over time.

Matthew Cederquist is the Blizzard man of the year.

3 Likes

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, Melania would be my personal maid by now :money_mouth_face::money_with_wings::moneybag:

But hey, there’s a first time for everything. So go ahead: surprise us.

2 Likes

There are a lot of passive botters. They bot for bounties on other account / accounts. When bounties are done they join that game, kick bot/bots and invite other players so they can click on quest for bounties. This is known as “cookies” in the community. If you look at IP address of the bot /bots and players real account this can be detected.

But how Blizzard is going to deal with it?
Ban wave once in 2 years is not going to do anything against this.
But if banns where given same second when something is detected that would change things a lot. We need to see players banned on daily basis. Blizzard, for some reason is doing ban waves only and they mostly ban people that are high on Leader Boards only. This is not the way to go forward, especially for non season.

1 Like

They didn’t avoid the question. they said thud want on their radar in the past but it is cheating and you risk the chance of being banned. they will release more info on it in the best future

1 Like

“You will do nothing, because you can do nothing”

That said… been more Blue post this month then in the last year it feels like. Trying to build a little good will for D4 are we?

2 Likes

Not sure how you guys gonna recover from the damage they already did but im looking forward to it. Maybe ill come back then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just buff everyone paragon to 15k. Problem solved. Race starts a new without cheating.

and all the hard work i did without cheat then? ><

Are you above 15k paragon?

Is this because the game is dead and as a final nail in the coffin that was the experiment that was D3 are bot programs are being removed? And will you guys release player numbers much like vanilla D3 had so we can get an idea of how many concurrent users there are right now?

Is this a delayed effort and are you guys going to retroactively ban people like kripparrian that was known to bot before RoS. They used to bot multiple accounts and do legendary item giveaways.

Just curious about what’s to come.

It is dead now, because competition is not easily accessible. If the new developer team adjusts this, and bans bots besides it, D3 will gain many real players back, Kripp would come too probably.

2 Likes

Can’t w8 for a big ban wave.

4 Likes

Am i correct in deducing that Turbohud is a program that reads data from the D3 client and overlays its own UI ?

If so wouldn’t stating one cant use such a program be just the same as saying a person cant use a specific version of Windows OS , or cant run Foobar2000 music player whist playing etc ?

i can understand the want to stop cheaters from damaging other peoples experiences, but D3 isnt exactly a game where one can do that, indeed the ‘leader boards’ are not even official competitions, nor do they give rewards.
From what i can tell if a person uses a program that does not tamper with the D3 client or servers, then the only harm they are doing is to their own gameplay experience, which they may feel isnt harmfull at all.

Again, stopping cheaters, and botters that affect other players gameplay experience is something i fully encourage.
But this doesnt seem like one of those instances. And quiet frankly in this case, and cases like it where the program in use is in no way shape or form tampering with Blizzards servers, i find it hugely arrogant on Blizzards part to suggest they have any right to demand what people can and cannot do on their own PC.

I would simply suggest that instead of trying to tell people what they can and cannot do on their own computers, or using software to scan a person PC which is hugely intrusive, amoral, and illegal in some instances, you just remove the data, that I assume is being used by such programs, from being transmitted in the 1st place.
For example, map data for the minimap need not be transmitted at all during a GR run. (from what i understand thats what turbohud is used for …GR fishing)

1 Like