Toxic D2 Purists

The multiple projects that Nevalistis was referring included D:I, D2R, and D4. I need to find the quote but somewhere I have read (or is it heard form one of the youtube videos) that D2R was in development already in 2018 pre-Blizzcon according to a Blizzard big shot.

They said at that Blizzcon that they had multiple Diablo projects in the works. There is a link somewhere, plus a video where Rhykker talked about that D2R has been in dev for over 2 years (I think 2018 was the year dev started he stated)

1 Like

Recently, I think Wyatt said both D2R and D4 in development in 2018 when asked about his thoughts on the Blizzcon reception of D:I and the infamous phone comment. He wanted to say something along the lines of relax D2R and D4 are being worked on but couldnā€™t say anything for obvious reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsBqKb5suM8

The rhyker vid

1 Like

I know for a fact that me and at least 5 other veteran players sent letters to blizzard because we were afraid Diablo was going to die a week after Blizzcon Immortal news. Telling them the only way to bring people back was going to be a Diablo II remake.

https://www.cnet.com/news/with-diablo-ii-blizzard-is-reflecting-on-its-past-but-now-its-time-for-the-future/ found the cnet post, if you guys wanted it.

ā€œThese are not things that you can just kind of say ā€˜Hey, itā€™s retro time, letā€™s go back in time and get in the Wayback Machine and make it all work.ā€™ Weā€™ve been working on Diablo II remaster for more than two years now. And so itā€™s sort of fortuitous.ā€

Another quote for anyone wondering.

ā€œMost of the things ā€“ with one exception and Iā€™ll say the exception is the Blizzard Arcade Collection ā€“ that we are working on, we were working on before the pandemic,ā€ said Brack.

2 Likes

@TanisGunthar and @Shadow

Thanks for the links.

1 Like

Well, you may have done that, but the fact is, is that it was already being worked on.

Do the math please. Cnet published in Published: Mar 7, 2021 Blizzcon Immortal announced in 2018.

That quote said it was more than 2 years from then so it puts it between March 2018 to Feb 2109 if you want to assume that more than 2 years means 2-3 years. The quote from Wyatt pushes it to pre-Blizzcon 2018 if I can find the dang thing (assuming my recollection is correct). This interpretation is consistent with multiple projects in the works from Nevā€™s comment in August 2018. If it was only two (D:I and D4) that would be a couple of projects.

Still over 2 years. Leaks for D2 were happening for about 3-4 years. The main leak though was last year, with VV named. And multiple as stated in 2018, is not ā€œWe have another Diablo project in the works.ā€ They specifically stated multiple.

1 Like

Well said. Adding another ā€œmodernā€ server solves nothing. Most people will play on the ā€œmodernā€ server, and the same divisive topics will still exist about what belongs and what doesnā€™t, because there will never be two distinct groups of player who all want the same things.

And more on topic, itā€™s fine to apologize to specific people, but I donā€™t think you owe anyone an apology for your stance or not wanting x change. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. Name calling isnā€™t OK, but itā€™s normal that people will be defensive over the idea of changing D2, or something they like/love. Itā€™s the people who want changes that have more often adopted labels to assign to us. And thereā€™s a few problems with that. First, a lot of people just donā€™t like being labeled. Second, ā€œpuristā€ and ā€œmodernā€ carry negative connotations about the group they are referencing in the former and the group ā€œin oppositionā€ in the ladder, and just serve to divide us. Third, itā€™s assuming a lot, because as Iā€™ve said many times, people donā€™t conveniently fit into two perfect groups. People on here would have you believe that, but the simple truth is there are a lot of people who want a lot of different things.

1 Like

I only ever heard couple not multiple. If that exists great then I am wrong and Blizzcon just dumped fuel on the fire.

BlizzCon 2018 is almost here and weā€™ve seen a lot of rumors flying around about our plans for Diablo at the show. These are very exciting timesā€”we currently have multiple teams working on different Diablo projects and we canā€™t wait to tell you all about them . . . when the time is right.

https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/blog/22549433/diablo-at-blizzcon-2018-10-17-2018
1 Like

Yes and from the youtube video from August 8, 2018 (pre-Blizzcon) with the text

Imgur

This is at approximately the 35 second mark of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVaqS_bd-8

ā€œNovember 2 will be an especially diabolical dateā€ If he only knew how right he would be.

That does sound like 3 especially reading it knowing what we know now.

1 Like

The addition of an updated game fork does solve the problem of keeping the current version of the game always playable in remastered form for those that ONLY want it, as well as having a game mode that would serve for updates. You canā€™t please everyone, but as we seen from the reddit survey, there are common grounds for changes such charm inventory, balance changes, even almost half for personal loot (whether by option or by trade off).

It would also solve an issue if the current game and itā€™s mechanics are not receptive to those on consoles, where the consoles would have the modernized fork, and keeping pc first mentality by not having console features that are NOT on PC (such as D3 controller support and dodge mechanic).

If players are not enamored by either choice, then that is where single player mods and private server mods like PD2 step in (assuming Blizzard allows that).

In the strict remaster version, there is very little to update except technical bug fixes and compatibility issues (e.g. Windows updates). In that regard, the strict D2R enters maintenance mode at release. If there are some tweaks (balance changes, etcā€¦), it would exist in the modern version.

True and Blizzard shouldnā€™t try to please everyone. Blizzard though can make a couple of umbrellas to please more players than those who want the strictest of status quos.

There is cross progression. If there are two umbrellas, it makes it easier to say we are keeping the authentic and trying to make things better for ā€œallā€ including issues that might arise due to consoles.

My sense of mods is that they are not going to let folks run their own servers. They have talked a little more about mods recently and have been evasive. I could be wrong but do not think so due to intellectual property and financial reasons.

2 Likes

I have a feeling of this too.

2 Likes

I am against ploot. I have explained how the math is wrong from the hop that MicroRNA used because it is based on a diminishing return ie you cant land in the same iteration over and over. You have the same chance of landing in the same game with the same people over and over again. I have had this happen 3x randomnly in a row and 5x randomnly in a row in real life. It does not include the bias of people knowingly avoiding toxic players, sticking to good games, or to friends either.

The main push for ploot has been pick it. Since the servers on bnet are where your character information is going to be stored ie the comment you never have to worry about saving your characters. You can check click rates and pick up speeds so banning is easily done. Also storing the item information on the bnet servers then packet stuffing doesnā€™t work either so that pick it is gone. Storing those files on the bnet servers is essential to preventing most exploits. It will definitely not stop them all though.