Threads should be automatically locked after 6 months

Argh, real time communication sounds like bad move to me. Its much better let stuff to sink in and opinions to spread.

Real time communication sounds actually damn fun but disastrous, I kinda hope someone is doing it.

I agree to a point.
Where it comes to bugs, there needs to be a grace period. That being said, the grace period relates to the bug being ongoing and not being fixed, so it is given more time until it is fixed. Otherwise, most general topics have a use by date.

Take it down to autolock after 6 weeks and you have my vote.

Bug Report + Tech Support forums can stay open forever.

But General Discussion is in dire need of automatic lock. Too many nolifer trolls.

Itā€™s gonna get even worse in the future D4 forum, considering the potential number of patches that itā€™ll get in the first 1-2 years alone.

3 Likes

No argument with any of that :slight_smile: . I put that up in the random possibility a moderator and or dev might be looking at it because humans have a really bad habit of ā€˜all or nothingā€™.ā€¦ Taking the repeating bugs down would be a big mistake so now thereā€™s at least two or more of us saying take the others down faster but do not include bugs in that takedown.

This guy gets it. Its the troll. Blizzard should add Collector Editor Forums. Trolls can go to YouTubers. Or Reddit, theres million places to go.

Whatā€™s funny is, I was actually trying to start a new topic about locking threads that were accused of being ā€œbumpedā€ and this thread came up in the process. I guess because it is relevant to what I was going to post.

Anyway, my question was going to be, what is considered a bump and what is considered an actual continuation of the discussion? There was recently a ā€œhelloā€ thread from 2019 that got recent activity and someone accused someone else of bumping it. I asked how could they tell that was the intention? Now, the thread is locked and all the new comments have been deleted.

So I ask here, what is the difference between a bump and a continuation of a conversation? And if you really are just not allowed to post on an old thread, then why wasnā€™t the original suggestion in this thread taken?

It was most likely locked by a mod because it was a necro bump. Necroing an old thread from over a year ago just to say hello to someone who has not been on the forum in over 16 months, really? I tried to warn him but he did not care. :point_down:

Do not ā€œbumpā€ posts. The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping old threads for no reason (also called ā€œnecroingā€).

I understand what bumping a thread is. My question is, how can they determine if that was the reason someone posted on it? I thought it was an actual continuation of the conversation. It was a hello thread, and someone said hello. Granted, saying hello to someone that said hello 2 years ago does not make much sense, but still. Just wondered what the criteria was to determine if the post is legitimate or not.

You were supposed to necro it next year. If it gets bumped every few months it ruins the effect. :frowning:

Some people use google, which will suggest a page from the forums that is super old, the person searching does not take note of the date and ā€œtadaā€ you get some pretty old necros.

1 Like

A new thread can simply go unnoticed when thereā€™s alot of posts in a short time or when thereā€™s some post or happening where everyone is concentrating on.
-For example, i plea for a sticky music thread for these reasons.

So, iā€™m against the OP suggestion.

Actual continuation applies when the subject of the thread is still valid and hasnā€™t been patched out. Like a long-standing bug, or discussing a specific game feature (transmogs list, farming routes for Rainbow gobs etc). And thatā€™s IF the attempt to continue said discussion is intelligent in natureā€¦

A spam bump is what the nolifers & alt-account-botters do over at the ZOMG BANWAVE REQUEST thread. Dead horses donā€™t come back to life. They just bump it by running their mouth and saying nothing intelligent at all.

1 Like

what for? to hide Blizzardā€™s inaction? some problems have existed for several years and no one has dealt with them, and so no one even knows that there is a problem in the game. well, except for the blizzard themselves, who have problems

Thatā€™s 90% of this forum.

What would be a super good idea is when someone makes a title, as you know it gives some suggestions on what you may want to ask etc, it should figure out if somewhere in the forum that a topic with a similar title already exists. Letā€™s say I ask about ā€œPrimal Dropsā€ it will search the entire forum and tag the post. It will show the topic creator, ā€œHereā€™s XX posts that are likely related to your topic.ā€ then they can choose to post in those topics or ignore it and post their own.

Once they post their own, the mods/cmā€™s can see which posts are related to it and that they ignored it. Then they weigh whether or not they should have posted a new topic. If they deem it unnecessary, then they can flag that account. Give them say 5-10 flags before giving a day timeout along with a week or something to remove 1 flag on itā€™s own, so unless youā€™re spamming topics, you wonā€™t ever get banned.

Hopefully I explained that well enough.

Youā€™re far too generousā€¦

1 Like

10 post per customer, that should increase the quality of the forum. Currently its the spammers who get the action.

Says the guy who just bumped a thread that was inactive for a year.

1 Like

Well this isnt about me. Im perfectly fine with the forum or no.

Forums could be so much more professional and commercial, thats my point.