They didn't say ladder items can be found on NL FOREVER

I just read the patch notes again…and…aren’t we maybe assuming a bit much? They didn’t explicitly say that it’s going to be this way forever. They actually could very well revert it to being ladder only after they implement the ladder, lol.

But now that everyone is excited for it (myself included) - it might be a bad move on their part to just revert it. I would say the best course of action is to do an official poll on what the community wants. MrLlama’s poll only included 5,000 people after all. We need everyone involved, this is a major change that cannot be taken lightly.

1 Like

"…will now for the first time be included in non-ladder multiplayer and single player play.

We understand these items complement prominent builds and playstyles cherished by the community. "

its pretty obvious from the wording that this change is permanent, not temporary. Otherwise they would’ve either said it was temp or implied it was because of the ladder delay, not due to feedback. He says “for the first time”, not “for a short time” not “up to ladder start”.

11 Likes

I think this is wishful thinking.

There is no more ladder only, I’ll catch you guys in nonladder

2 Likes

Nah I would say its a permanent deal by the way they typed it. They could walk it back but then it will face backlash from people who suddenly missed all the chances before to stock up on ladder items before the change kicks in.

I do hope they find a sink for all items though. Quickly the only thing worth trading will be perfect items and you can just jump in a game and be tossed items like D3…but that’s a long term worry.

Maybe have it you can cube 3 of a unique to reroll it, that way removes items and have a sink for perfect items…just not to sure of a mechanic for it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I definitely read it as permanent.

Two of the changes I wanted most were both announced in the past 24 hours. Quite excited =)

(note: the other is for bad skills to get buffed some but I don’t expect anything like that until after a ladder season or two_

3 Likes

This post makes even less sense than what Blizzard did.

This is how I feel as well but ask yourself: if they had day 1 ladder and everything was running smoothly, how big of a deal would this be for you? Would you still overly care that you can’t farm them in four months after we converted to NL? I was mostly excited for this change because I didn’t want to experience the game without those nice ladder only items lol.

For me it is a major deal because I was uncertain if I could really do 3-month ladders (4 month… ehhh… likely) and was going to need to choose between some hybrid of L/NL depending on how life looked that “quarter” or maybe even just play Single Player

Now… I essentially compromise nothing and will just play NL and build up my HC characters over time without having to constantly debate starting a ladder season.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say really. I can see the stability concerns being valid but ultimately if they were going to launch ladder day 1 it would make no sense to also launch non-ladder. Day 1 make everyone ladder and eventually they roll over.

No, but my dad does. (Hey you edited out the part asking if I worked for blizzard LOL!)

Anyway, just a crazy thought. Whenever something good happens to me I gotta think about how the world is going to screw me over and take it away through some sort of loophole. Not to mention there are a lot of people that aren’t exactly loving this change.

I think it’s only fair to do a proper vote on something that changes something this massive.

Pretty big one for me. I always wanted this. My intention originally was to play first season then wait on Plugy update for D2R if they didn’t ungate. When they announced no tcp/ip, that destroyed the idea of being able to play SP with my father. I never liked the idea of temp characters, and never revisited non ladder due to gating and I don’t care for pvp. Now I’m happy, I may even play a season or two if they add themes, or unlock extra stash space or something.

1 Like

And I believe Blizzard themselves already surveyed this change. And it passed the smell test.

I’ll drop this here, just because. There’ll still be ladder, unless they decide remove it entirely.

Nothing is breaking.

I read it as permanent as well.

This statement right here reinforces that IMO.

3 Likes

I’m right there with you. I started playing PlugY for a handful of reasons.

1. I could play at my own pace and I knew I could get all of the ladder only items eventually without having to start from the ground up on a character over and over

2. Infinite stash to hold everything is excellent (can just use mule’s for that stuff if you REALLY wanna keep those crappy uniques and sets that you’ll never use. You could always just keep a checklist?)

3. The game didn’t have a lot of players doing baal runs when I checked like 3 years ago and I didn’t want to rely on others / bots were rampant / people would steal my drops. Also there was lag issues.

4. I didn’t have to worry about account/character expirations

5. I could “cheat” and dupe enigmas so I didn’t have to move gear back and forth once I crafted one legitly, etc.

Most of these issues are not a problem on D2:R so I have no reason to play SP anymore personally. The benefits of being part of the community outweighs the inconveniences of playing on bnet.

3 Likes

I will probably not play single player either now. Though I will miss static maps for fast MF runs and the infinite storage from Plugy. I had thought about toying with Classic if they didn’t ungate, but now will probably stick with LoD. I’m super excited about this, as long as Blizzard doesn’t screw it up by adding a new set of permanent ladder only items that creates the same problem they just fixed.

Can’t post screenshots/inks but according to the alpha survey on MrLlama’s channel:

54% wanted ladder only restrictions removed
24% wanted to keep non-ladder restrictions
22% “are not sure”

MrLlama’s alpha survey was the “official blizzard” one, correct? If not, can I trouble you for a source?

No. Blizzard sent email surveys to random account holders during two rounds. One happened before Alpha, the other happened after Alpha. These ranged from questions about ladder ungatting, Personal Loot replacing FFA Loot, balance changes, gem/rune stacking, charm inventory, adding world events like ubers, seasonal buffs to skills and such for seasons only, etc.

here is one

Lol, well I wasn’t a part of that survey and I’ve played this game for over 10,000 hours over a period greater than 10 years. “WHAT ABOUT MY OPINION?” - Everyone that didn’t take part in that survey. (myself included, at least i think, i don’t remember)

But yeah, we’ll see what happens. We’ll figure it out as we go I guess.