[Theory] Auction House in RoS

Yeah. Now in PoE (which has in 4 times less players than D3) the number of concurrent players is in 10 times more than in D3 (at the start of season). And this game doubled its players base (I mean active players) at the end of 2016 by the players of D3. :wink:

Interesting that you would try to compare D3 and PoE. I left PoE as a 5+ year veteran at the start of this year for this exact reason:

I remember that vividly in PoE. And very thankful that wasted trading time isn’t found in D3 today.

For nearly all but the power players (streamers), the end game content in PoE is gated behind the requirement that the player plays the Path of Economics game first. Trading created an unnatural power creep that only got worse over the years. Better rare gear resulted in tougher content resulted in better even more rare gear resulted in tougher content - ad nauseam. All the currently good endgame content is highly RNG gated behind finding rare shards if you don’t use the soul-crushing trade system.

D3 doesn’t gate any endgame content (GR somewhat excluded, keys are easy to get anyway), which means I can experiment with various builds without fear of wasting hard to get shards. Plus, I can “git gud” on the various boss fights by repetition, something not possible with the few tries allowed by ggg.

D3 allows me to kill monsters, not kill time trading. Still want an AH? Great! Go play Path of Economics.

1 Like

Chances of the auction house being brought back as a dlc addon, is practically zero.

That’s not due to the lack of an auction house.

Your own choice does not matter just because I did not see the decay of activity in PoE in this year with compare to another ones - it remains on the same level.
(steamcharts.com and steamspy.com in help)
(BTW: I do not play in PoE at all as “true fan” of D3.)

There is not such requirement in suggested in this thread theory due to items 1 and 6.

AH-addon is optional. Do not like idea - do not buy addon. No problems at all.

And due to what is it? :wink:

What were the chances for returning “Mortick’s Brace” (that was removed during the Patch 2.2.0 PTR and was returned with the words “However, the power curve of Diablo III has changed significantly since then and we’re comfortable with bringing it back.”) or for returning thorns of pets (that was removed from WD and was added to the Necromance = initially cheat-class that was introduced by the one more addon for money = exactly “pay 2 win” strategy)? Or what was the chance to obtain for DH buff for the Rapid Fire in one of the previous patches when they obtained really nothing for their class?

Moreover, these things:

were removed in this theory due to items 1, 3, 3b and 6.

The main problem in this theory now is only the fact that fans have big problems with reading of small amount of text (in the first post) and understanding of it, no more. :wink:

Yes, the best way to sway others to your point of view is to insult them. Well played.

1 Like

Mostly due to lack of new and/or meaningful content. Having an auction house wouldn’t change that.

Mortick’s Brace was always going to return; the devs never outright said that it was to be removed forever, unlike the auction house where they explicitly stated that it’s never coming back.

To see this simple thing one need just to read the first post and then to read the posts of opponents - most of them wrote about negative sides of AH that were removed in this theory, so I can write about this simple fact instead of answering to such posters by using direct quotes from the first post of this thread like I did on another sub-forum with the copy of this theme which were discussed during 300+ posts now and during thousand posts in several themes on old forum.

As I understand, you even do not try to see this. If you wish, I can make an exception especially for you and to quote some of such posts with the direct quotes from the first post of this thread to demonstrate to you this fact explicitly.

I have another fact that was wrote by one of developers of D3 - they said that even RoS didn’t live up to their expectations. The only thing that was missed in RoS is AH.

Moreover, now we have ancient and primal items (the last ones have the effective drop-rate near the one that had legendaries before RoS), and we have lack of players now. May be during the lack of updates. But we also have now the very big amount of bots. Is it also due to the lack of updates? Nope.

They can say only that AH will be never returned back as is - with all its negative sides that can’t be fixed by themself. Like the maximum possible value of GR (I suggested simple solution and for this “problem” too). Or like the problems with pRNG which they do not understand at all (as I shown in bug-forum + suggested simple solution in the 'General Discussion" forum and for this case too).

And yes, in the most themes of all sub-forums players usually suggested just to return AH without spending their time to analyze and to try to remove negative sides of it and hence each such thread became one more Holy War without arguments at all.

In one day - when I really tired to see repeating such situations time by time on our sub-forum - I finished such tradition by suggesting the simple theory with small amount of items that can fix all negative sides of AH so that we could to discuss things about AH in more pleasant way. Though - usually - I need to give direct quotes of the theory for each new players which do not read the thread or the first post in it at all, - they just wrote their opinion of negative sides of original AH even do not imagine that such problems are already solved by the theory or it is just impossible to have such things they described in such version of AH (like we can see in this thread too - it is very hard for ones to control their reflexes on the words AH).

Simple example from this thread:

and this:

Really, “grey markets back with open arms”?
May be one need just to read the theory at first. No?

In the last our conversation with fans we impoved the theory by additional items, and, of course, I know the main problem with such theory by the opinion of opponents of AH - the third type of users of bots, - though I do not think that this is the problem at all for AH-users just because the third type of users of bots are just slaves of AH-users (that do not use bots at all) like it was in original AH.

The problems of Blizzard with AH for real money looks very strange - Valve does not have any problems with its own AH. Also as any other developers. I can suggest that Blizzard could have problems due to “grey markets” where people traded by items from D3 without any control and any taxes, and possibility of which was removed by bounding legendaries to the account and removing the possibility of direct exchange, but this theory does not suggest to change this moment at all (item 2).

If RoS didn’t live up to their expectations, having the auction house wouldn’t had fixed that.

There would be botters with or without the auction house, perhaps even more so if we did indeed still have the auction house.

Nowhere did they imply that the auction house may return or that they have some interest in altering it so they can re-launch it at a later date. So, again chances of it coming back, especially as part of a dlc, is practically zero.

Even if only able to be sold once, it’s still enough. Sorry, but no.

You would be able to buy paragon and perfect gear days into the season with this plan. You are crazy to think the drop rates would not need to be changed. What about Hope of Cain, Reforge and all resources being trade able? Plus trading experience?..really?

i always wonder how AH will work whit boon of hoarder in game

Exactly, we do not know this.

Donaters that use bots now will not need them just because they will buy all things they want without bots.
Tops that use bots now for farming zeros and other “garbage” will not need them just because they will buy this garbage just by gold.
The third type of users of bots can appear (which will farm all, will sell it for gold and will convert gold to real money), but we can add additional limitation and for this case too - we can just forbid the possibility to withdrawal of real money (i.e. one can spend them only for that to buy gold - i.e. one more intermediate pool between seasons and non-season - and, perhaps, to buy products of Blizzard).

Enough for what? To “grey markets back”? Nope.
Describe full steps for this process and I will show you the exact place when you are wrong.

Can you imagine the cost of the perfect gear at the start of season? I think that you can’t. And yes, it is impossible to buy paragon in the season - read the first post carefully.

This theory has item 3 to output gear.
You are even not crazy, just unclever, if you think that with such system you will obtain millions items of top-gear (primals) for millions users that will want to have it.
It was impossible even in the original AH.
It will be impossible in the season with its duration about 3 months. It will be impossible in the non-season in the nearest several years.

Are you about Cube Recepies? Good luck to obtain top-primal you need with 100% guarantee. :wink:
At least, you can calculate the needed resources to obtain such item with the probability of 95%. But - because it is random - you will never have 100% guarantee to obtain anything for any reasonable amount of resources you can spend for this.
Wikipedia, Statistics in help. :wink:

Someone finds an awesome item. Instead of introducing it to the economy via gold or other-item trade, they sell it for a fat stack of cash.

It doesn’t matter if this process happens once or dozens of times, the moment real world money can even enter the equation, you screw your in-game economy. You have not solved the problem that has been plaguing online games for decades now, and it will never really be solved when the spirit of any suggestion allows circumventing actual game play.

How? No direct exchange in this theory as it was in classic.
Step by step: one finds an awesome item. Next step?

Players created such problem whether you want it or not - no AH, they use bots. Blizzard can’t solve this problem or may be they just do not want to do this - they allow players to play with bots, players buy time by time D3+RoS. Something like membership fee in D3 like in WoW. I suggested to do this more legally and in more traditional way (by selling one more addon and to have the commision from the operations with real money).

Sub fees deter nothing. Hell, people pay sub fees to run bots. They do so because they personally find it profitable. RMT is an issue far more pervasive than you give it credit, while Blizzard being lax on rule enforcement in D3 does nothing to justify other rule violations or tolerances thereof.

Like it or not, D2-style trade is not required to actually make a fun and enjoyable game. Nuanced rule-mongering to try to “make it work” still does not solve the ultimate problem of legitimate players very rarely controlling the economy. The cheaters will have more rare items. The cheaters will tank the value of more common loot to push people into their service for the rarer goods. It’s a cycle that has repeated over and over and over across many games, to the point where the most equitable solution has been BoA systems requiring specific content participation that ideally isn’t easily automated and/or merc’d.

And yes, RMT exists beyond Chinese sweatshops. Account selling, sharing, and theft are also still ongoing concerns. Some people still stupidly visit malware laden sites, trust spoof GM messages, or think they’ve found some kind of trick to cut corners. It’s one thing to try and compensate for player error, but another to encourage such predatory tactics by believing you can do nothing about anything or that something maybe isn’t that big a deal.

They do so because they want to play how they want and real money that they spend for this is not problem for them.
While ones cry “no pay 2 win” or “Blizzard, ban the bots”, these gamers play as they wish and Blizzard can do nothing with them.
In the case of AH they do not need to use bots just because they can buy all things they want without using bots.

I ask you again: how can one to take rare items and how can one to redistribute them according to the limitations of this theory?
I saw arguments like you wrote many times and I saw never the schemes of realization of such things with such theory I wrote in this thread.

These features there are now and without AH. Google in help.
But the price of such things is too big, so players prefer to use bots by themself instead of using such sites.

I do not accept NEED; I consider WANT more appropriate. I do not want an AH, by the way.

Very amusing to comment this now - when D4 has trade (and on the forum there are threads “we do not buy D4 without trade”). :smile:

One more suggestion of one my opponent from my sub-forum (which shy to place it by himself): to make AH (ideal version of it, of course, from this thread) as buff of the new season with compulsory wipe of all taked items at the end of season (i.e. wipe like on PTR) instead of transfer all of them into non-season (I need to note - this idea and especially part about wipe are NOT my ideas) to view the collapse (his words, not my) of this idea (AH).

P.S.: I suggested him to bet on $100: if he will right - I will pay this amount of money to him, if I (no collapse at all) - he will pay this amount of money to me. As you can see, he even can’t create the post with such his idea here, so I did this by myself. :wink:

How is that amuzing? I’m not against trading as a concept. It does however come with a lot of negative aspects and needs to be limited (as it will be in D4) and AH is by far the worst idea. Keep in mind that it doesn’t mattter how the AH is implemented, what currency it and other such things, all valuable items will be sold for real money outside the AH regardless.

AH is by far the best idea if you want to have trading at all in the game.
Not searching through forums, wasting time contacting strangers, all that.

Unless items can be traded only through AH of course.

But yeah, no trading at all is best. As currently in D3.

1 Like