The new Firebird Nerf

so it was before the cut on the PTR

I don’t believe the vast majority of 2k paragon players can get 130 aug on their gears, 120 probably, but not 130. Also, your estimate of 2k paragon GR 139 is more of a max clear with fishing and luck, where my estimate is normal clear without fishing/luck hence a 10 GR reduction.

In addition, Raxx himself stated that without fishing/pylon lucks his clear would be 7 GR lower. Currently, this lastest patch puts FB at 148 max clear for him at 8k paragon, that means his normal clear without fishing is 141 @8k paragons. If you follow this logic, there is no way a 2k Paragon with 125ish gems can do 139, which is only 2 GR lower than a 8K paragon with perfect gears/gems.

1 Like

I didn’t try MI on PTR, so I don’t know how it was before the nerf, but after trying now I can tell that I detest this build. It feels clunky, weird and not fun at all. If that’s how we should play FB, then this set will continue to rot in my stash. If I want working Mirror Images, I play Necro. Period.

Might be I’m too stupid to understand this build, but if 2k Paragon is meant to clear close to 140 I would assume that doing a 120 at 3k paragon should be a no brainer even without proper augments and optimized playstyle. Like just hop onto an elite group at max stacks, drop MI and everything goes boom within seconds.

That’s what I would expect. It was like that with Twisters in season but Firebird doesn’t feel like that at all.

Also I seriously want defensive legendary gems and items like Aquila Cuirass to work on followers. They still die way too often without the immortality token, although it’s better now when you equip them with proper stuff.

1 Like

3k para GR 130 clear (30k int) with 5 minutes remain. I played without even looking at the afflixes or the pylons. just spam 3 skills x)

Try flame blades, it’s way more fun but weaker. With MI and EW I 1-keyed 132 at P2400 with 21K mainstat and ok gear. 120 consistent 5 mins with squirt MI. It’s definitely strong.

Just an FYI to all the Wizards out there.

Firebird 4pc combustion stack generation rate changed.

FB 4pc gen/degen rates, v2.7.0.74291 (live patch), 2.42 AS:

• Stack degen: 2 stacks/s.
  • Stack generation: 30 stacks/s.

Stack generation was approximately halved. Stack degen appears unchanged.

However, you have to keep in mind that our max stacks decreased from 100 to 50, so halving the stack gen does make sense.

Overall I feel this is a good compromise given the feedback collected during PTR for these rates, but I’d like to give the season a playthrough to confirm my opinion.

You can compare this to my notes from the PTR testing below.

First iteration:

Second Iteration:

New values, v2.7.0.73794:

• Stack degen is 2 stacks per second. Appears to be consistent regardless of level of attack speed.
  • Stack generation (with Disintegrate cast) in town at 1 APS: ~50 stacks/s.
  • Stack generation (with Disintegrate cast) in town at 2.05 APS: ~60 stacks/s.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/fire-birds-kind-of-underwhelming/28034/196

still weak nerfed firebird only for solo play

100 stacks felt better to play. damage needed tweaking granted . but now we just hold down right click for the next 3-4 months. where is the fun in that.

I sent my Firebird items back to stash.

Totally agree. MI isn’t a build, it’s a channeling exploit. This is about as much fun as the original twister corner and star pact reverse archon exploits. I have a hard time believing that this is what Blizzard had in mind when they remade the set.

2 Likes

GR130 done by Wudijo at 1k Paragon.

I was right that reverting only one bonus was not enough and Blizzard should also revert 4pc or 2pc bonus. Firebird is too weak, too weak to replace rats, too weak to be included in 4 man push as trash clearer, too weak as RGK in 4 man push.

What is more it is also weaker than Necro and Crusader in solo push, which are still top solo clasess after 4th cube removal. So NOTHING really changed! Still everyone will play the same classes in groups as before.

Firebird doesn’t scale with denisty (area damage doesn’t work) so it really needed much more damage to be viable in groups.

But of course Cratic, Masterjay and Venaliter know better…

1 Like

I agree. It’s an ok build, but the meta spot goes to the usual as expected.

What’s with the name and shame? I think it’s relatively balanced and fun to play and high “A” or “S” tier. I don’t like Mirror Images, so if that bug is fixed, the set would have to be buffed again.

Playable in speeds, and maybe even groups.
1 Like

Yeah I completely agree.
I didn’t try the new firebird on PTR, but after a few hours of testing on live, I don’t think I’ll want to play this clunky mess of a spec that requires constantly respawning copies of yourself hoping that at least one will actually DPS your target, even when being exactly on top of it.
You constantly roll the dice.
This is absolute BS.

Because it is mostly you who are apparently content with mediocre state of Wizard judging by your posts.

But it is not. Necro and Crus are still much better. Many wanted it to be played in groups at the highest level, and Firebird set rework was a great opportunity to achieve it. Unfortunately it failed.

Every class is “playable” in speeds and groups if you want (and have friends which want to play with you). But we are talking here about being the most efficient, to be viable in meta play, to be invited in groups, not just being “playable”. If you are not interested in such a play then don’t advocate for nerfs or do not tell that set is performing ok, when others want it to perform better than alterantives such as Necro and Crus.

If you haven’t noticed yet, this game works like this - every few patches Blizzard buffs some class/set which becomes the best (meta), and everyone plays it at the high end. The best scenario would be if such a meta stayed for max 2-3 seasons, then another class took its place. Everyone was hoping that Firebird Wizard would now take this place, but unfortunatley it is not the case.

1 Like

Just played around for about an hour, and it feels really good where it is. Did GR120 with electrocute, MM, SB, and hydra, and all the clears were between 5 min and 10 min. At 3900para, this is on par or better than my other characters. Some notes for each playstyle:

• Electrocute: Best at faster GR’s. 2-3 min for GR110. Can do higher but DR becomes an issue.
  • Magic Missile: Super fun, good at killing elites. Tankier than electrocute, but actually requires aiming.
  • Hydra: Probably best single-target, but groups take awhile because the hydras target the trash. Easy, passive playstyle. Outclassed by Typhons/LoD for pushing.
  • Spectral Blade: Very powerful, very tanky. Did GR120 in 7 min. Tested GR130 real quick, and I can tell the damage is there for my paragon to clear it (3900). On the LB there’s an 11min GR130 at 5k paragon.
  • Meteor Shower: Weak in GR’s over 100. Pretty fast at T16, clears whole screen.
  • Mirror Images: Obviously most powerful, but I found it frustrating and inconsistent. Was dying a lot in GR130, so I’m wondering if it shines with more paragon. Or maybe it’s a LTP thing.

My gear is ancient, no augments. I feel like the signature spell variants are about as powerful as my LoD Bombardment Sader. MI is obviously a bit higher. Hydra and Meteor both have better ways to play.

TL;DR… Signature spells feel great now. Mirror images are frustrating. There’s ways to play almost everything.

1 Like

Try endless walk variant, with crimson, aughild and shields. A bit weaker and lower ceiling but your life pool won’t even move, tested with lower paragon at higher gr.

Lack of area damage puts a hard cap on the set, but firebird is excellent for low/mid paragon solo players.

1 Like

So, would you say magic missles is worth using over blades? In all honesty, the blades don’t matter for defense since you shouldn’t be using them, unless you’re in a lower grift, since stuff dies faster from you then from the mirror images.

Depends on the GR level. MM is faster for lower GR’s, because you can kill all the monsters that are coming at you at once. It’s really fun on those corridor levels because they’re all lined up. As soon as you’re taking a few seconds to kill things though, elite sniping with blades is better. I’m thinking electrocute is better than MM at all levels, though. MM is too fun since we’ve never been able to use it before.